1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • France by 1 to 6 points
    • France by 7 to 12 points
    • France by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/10/22 at 16:30

1 minute ago, andyscoot said:

Couldn't catch the game live, anyone know when it's likely to be up on iPlayer?

No idea, but the BBC are quicker than most when it comes to adding catch-up content.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

34 minutes ago, bratman said:

Think Williams/Welsby is the better combo

I hope the Watkins head injury and our lack of centre cover doesn’t mean we will just shove Welsby into centre. He’d do a job there but would be massively wasted. 

• Like 1

Anyhow well played England, what an exciting team with genuine X factor players. The most exciting England/GB team since the early 90s.

I thought France were great too. Despite being really up against it they showed real heart, more than I have seen from a French team for a long, long time. Many French teams of the past would have been annihilated today.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Alan Robertson said:

I wanted England to be absolutely ruthless. I don't think that we were even close.

England never have been ruthless, I know it's a desirable quality but why are we going to see it now suddenly? They are more ruthless than in the past and looking good and look like they can get better.

Maybe it will end up with the same old story but for now it's enjoyable. 

• Like 1

I think France played a better tactical game. The Australian coach and Sean Long have made an improvement.

They closed the game down at the end and made sure England didn't run away as they had with Samoa last week. 

The problem for me is there is no pace in the side. 

• Like 1

Just now, Niels said:

I think France played a better tactical game. The Australian coach and Sean Long have made an improvement.

They closed the game down at the end and made sure England didn't run away as they had with Samoa last week. 

The problem for me is there is no pace in the side. 

Makinson and Young are lightning quick. So is Farnworth. The forward pack is pretty mobile too.

The issue for Wane is gonna be Welsby and where he plays in the important games.

Sneyd might be the best option in the halves come the quarters/Semis and hopefully the final.

England might be a better side with Welsby at fullback. Wane probably won't do it, but the fact he interchanged Tomkins for Welsby shows he's at least considering it.

32 minutes ago, Mark S said:

I thought that was a great game, both teams tackled hard but England’s quality was the difference. Sort out the lapse in concentration, we are as good as anyone.

I agree but actually sorting the lapses is the hard part or there'd be a lot more world class players and coaches.

Was entertained without being impressed but if we can nail our A game for 80 minutes we've got a chance.

Just now, Welshleaguelover said:

Makinson and Young are lightning quick. So is Farnworth. The forward pack is pretty mobile too.

The issue for Wane is gonna be Welsby and where he plays in the important games.

Sneyd might be the best option in the halves come the quarters/Semis and hopefully the final.

England might be a better side with Welsby at fullback. Wane probably won't do it, but the fact he interchanged Tomkins for Welsby shows he's at least considering it.

Sorry, I meant France have no pace.

I expected something of a dip from England so backed France at plus 38 points. After 25 or so minutes my bet seemed to have backfired but France got into the England 20 twice and scored twice. At HT 18-12 I was very confident then England were awarded a try from a pass which was 'miles' forward.

Clearly Aussie referees are no more likely to spot blatant forward passes than English referees!

Even so my bet looked pretty safe and I was pleased that England won comfortably and I won my bet pretty comfortably also.

I expect come QF time England will go with Young and Makinson on the wings which is fair enough but Ryan Hall answered a few critics not that he should have needed to - he's been playing like that week after week all season. He still scores tries and his meters from bad ball is second to none.

Watching the ruthless nature of the Australians last night I don't think England can match them unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, Welshleaguelover said:

Sneyd might be the best option in the halves come the quarters/Semis and hopefully the final

You are joking, its Tomkins, Williams and Welsby all day long. 

• Like 1

The last two games vs France would have been more interesting if they turned up and weren't 20 down early doors.

Credit for them hanging in during both though.

Edited by Leonard

Solid enough performance by England but if I were French I'd feel pretty annoyed with the try off two obstructions and a forward pass that took the pressure off at the beginning of the 2nd half.

And indeed with the weird way in which Hicks decided that last try was a knock on off one look when it looked ok to me (and was certainly worth another viewing). 

Ultimately France couldn't get enough territory and England's forwards just had too much dominance. Kicking game was very good too.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.