1. 1. Who will win?

• New Zealand by 13 points or more
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • Ireland by 1 to 6 points
    • Ireland by 7 to 12 points
    • Ireland by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/10/22 at 19:00

Couple of odd selections from Maguire, particularly Nikora starting in the centres. I don’t think he’s got a good grasp on what their best starting lineup is.

Also I said this pre-tournament, and tonight really confirmed it for me - New Zealand’s lack of a recognised place kicker May well cost them when they come up against a good side.

• Like 1

New Zealand were, in my view, faster, fitter, more skillful, bigger and (apart from the obvious exception) better disciplined  than Ireland. Having said that, scores such as last night's are not unusual in NRL and SL games so maybe the gap between the two countries isn't as big as it may seem. Still dissapointed in Myler's performance: not nvolved other than as a rather pedestrian acting-half- back, lacking in any ingenuity. A sort of anti-Andy Gregory.

Another lesson for England here, too, Clean up your act around the play-the-ball or you'll get penalised out of the ground. 

And with my Victor Meldrew hat on (which I wear more and more these days) no more loan words, please. Ruck? WTF! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

New Zealand were, in my view, faster, fitter, more skillful, bigger and (apart from the obvious exception) better disciplined  than Ireland. Having said that, scores such as last night's are not unusual in NRL and SL games so maybe the gap between the two countries isn't as big as it may seem. Still dissapointed in Myler's performance: not nvolved other than as a rather pedestrian acting-half- back, lacking in any ingenuity. A sort of anti-Andy Gregory.

Another lesson for England here, too, Clean up your act around the play-the-ball or you'll get penalised out of the ground. 

And with my Victor Meldrew hat on (which I wear more and more these days) no more loan words, please. Ruck? WTF! 

I agree with pretty much all of your post John, however Ruck is a term used by pretty much everyone in Rugby League nowadays. (Including in England. Professional players on commentary refer to it all the time)

2 hours ago, The_Gun said:

Couple of odd selections from Maguire, particularly Nikora starting in the centres. I don’t think he’s got a good grasp on what their best starting lineup is.

Also I said this pre-tournament, and tonight really confirmed it for me - New Zealand’s lack of a recognised place kicker May well cost them when they come up against a good side.

Yeah the centres conundrum is a strange one, I don't like either Niukore or Nikora as a centres option but one should certainly be on the bench as a handy cover for outside backs injuries. Feels like they've got too many good forwards so Madge is trying to fit them all in by playing them in the backs because he can't make the tough call to let go of the Bromwich Bros (mostly Jesse).

One thing that has become very clear is that NZ can't win it without Jahrome Hughes, definitely their most important player.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Jahrome Hughes with the game of the tournament in my opinion

2 Tries

3 Try Assists

115 Run Metres

30 Post Contact Metres

19 TACKLES BREAKS (Highest of the tournament)

3 Linebreaks

2 Linebreak Assists

14 Tackles

107 Kick Metres

Just Wow, this is probably the best individual performance I have seen this year. 

Best Halfback in the world.

We have found some common ground Rooster, totally agree with you and I gave said that to myself for a couple of years now watching the NRL, he has the full package.

• Like 2

I didn't see the game, I've only watched the highlights, so obviously I'm getting a limited picture of the game as a whole. But based purely on the tries, I think Ireland will be disappointed with themselves when they watch it back. NZ scored a couple of wonderful tries, but a lot of them were just down to some very half hearted defensive efforts. At least 3 or 4 of them were fairly easily avoided. I know that's easy to say when you are tired and being outmuscled, but some of those one on ones left a lot to be desired.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The_Gun said:

I really have no idea why he hasn’t given Kris a run in the centres with Hiku, he’s been in good form this year. IMO Timoko should have been there but Kris has had a good year yet CNK who was playing reserve grade at the same club this year has gotten better opportunities.

• Like 1

Watching the game, New Zealand's biggest problem is themselves. If they want to compete with Australia or England they will have to keep 13 on the field for 80 mins and kick their goals. Mess up with either of those two they'll lose. Improve on last night and they've every chance of beating the game's better teams. 

10 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

It has happened before and it was brilliant to watch. Very few heritage players.

The 2014 and 2015 Euro comps both went down to the last game - indeed, the last minute in 2014.  Very entertaining.

Not true to say that there were few heritage players, though.

• Like 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 minutes ago, Griff said:

The 2014 and 2015 Euro comps both went down to the last game - indeed, the last minute in 2014.  Very entertaining.

Not true to say that there were few heritage players, though.

Maybe my poor memory 😄

I remember a Wales, Ireland game, I'm sure it was pretty much mainly UK players, so yes maybe plenty of heritage players but from UK rather the down under. I could be wrong though as I don't recall the teams as such, just that it was a great game to watch 

6 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Maybe my poor memory 😄

I remember a Wales, Ireland game, I'm sure it was pretty much mainly UK players, so yes maybe plenty of heritage players but from UK rather the down under. I could be wrong though as I don't recall the teams as such, just that it was a great game to watch 

Yes, they tended to be UK based players in the main. 

I've been along to a few games in the Euro tournament, it still surprises me how many people come up with the idea, unaware it is already a thing. 

However, as this is RL, it is done poorly, often with a poor format, poor scheduling and the games can be really low-key affairs. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

I really have no idea why he hasn’t given Kris a run in the centres with Hiku, he’s been in good form this year. IMO Timoko should have been there but Kris has had a good year yet CNK who was playing reserve grade at the same club this year has gotten better opportunities.

Yeah Kris would seem to make them a more balanced side. I worry poor coaching and poor goal kicking will be their downfall.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

It has happened before and it was brilliant to watch. Very few heritage players.

Build it, don't put a few flimsy foundations in and then knock it all down again.

Make it something domestic players in those countries to aspire to and aim for.

With the odd exception, most Irish, Scots and Welsh domestic players have little chance of playing internationally while the reliance is on NRL/Australian reserves with grandparents taking up the spots.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Ireland, despite still having a slim chance of QF qualification, are being sent home already apparently.

Yes, it seems an unnecessary and mean-spirited decision. 

I believe it is the Aussie players being put on a plane today. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, it seems an unnecessary and mean-spirited decision. 

I believe it is the Aussie players being put on a plane today. 

What happens if Jamaica win by enough and IE have a QF to prepare for, lol?

Madge seems as though he's about to burst into tears whenever I see shots of him.

NZ should have gone with Timoko and Kris as centres. As alluded to above, there are too many forwards in the 17.

They should be auditioning every one of their players for goal-kicking duties. Even the forwards. What they have at present simply isn't up to standard. Perhaps one of those untried players will turn out to be a dead-eye shot.