1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/22 at 20:15

25 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Got to admit I did bite a little 

He was more subtle than others. He got a lot of folk.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, The One said:

Mate, I’m not blaming Australia, I just find it too predictable.

Yeah - fair enough. I get that. I just want to see the highest level of RL possible, and for me (a proud Kiwis fan) neither NZ nor England are ever really able to offer that.

The Kiwis were gassed by about 52 min tonight, they were hanging on due to a monster first half effort and some great early sets 2nd half.  The Roos though - they had another gear to shift into when needed. It is that kind of excellence that I really admire. 

Edited by Madrileño

18 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

What a game! Just back from Elland road and made me stop doubting whether the travel and tiredness was worth it.

NZ dominated physically as expected but again seemed a bit panicky in good ball. If they had been a bit more patient I think they could have got a result. 

Australia’s defense is outstanding and England are going to struggle to break them down if we get there.

Thought Klein was good and let it flow, my only question was on that yardage penalty that led to the Murray try. He’d let a lot go and then gave an innocuous penalty that relieved pressure at a crucial time that ultimately decided the game. 

Onto tomorrow!

I think that's always the tough thing about when a ref allows a lot to go. When they do pull stuff it stands out and can be challenged. 

FWIW I thought the try decision was right, but I thought the Kiwis didn't get the rub of the green. I thought they could have had a couple more penalties, there was a shoulder, a flop, followed by a knee into the ribs, and I thought the PTB penalty was Klein being played. On another day a couple of those decisions go in the Kiwis favour and it affects the game hugely in such a battle of attrition. 

I do think it is a challenge of letting stuff go that other times would be pulled. 

But that's sport, it was a cracking game, and I thought the Kiwis still had enoug in them to win. Stupidity like being offside at a kick and panic kicking by the halves cost them dearly. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I think that's always the tough thing about when a ref allows a lot to go. When they do pull stuff it stands out and can be challenged. 

FWIW I thought the try decision was right, but I thought the Kiwis didn't get the rub of the green. I thought they could have had a couple more penalties, there was a shoulder, a flop, followed by a knee into the ribs, and I thought the PTB penalty was Klein being played. On another day a couple of those decisions go in the Kiwis favour and it affects the game hugely in such a battle of attrition. 

I do think it is a challenge of letting stuff go that other times would be pulled. 

But that's sport, it was a cracking game, and I thought the Kiwis still had enoug in them to win. Stupidity like being offside at a kick and panic kicking by the halves cost them dearly. 

Yeah absolutely they had enough chances to win, that decision just stood out as a pedantic one in the game that led to the winning try. Hughes couldn’t quite nail those last tackle options and they seemed to think they needed to go off script when in fact they were physically dominant and would have benefited from building pressure. Fine margins though and I feel privileged to have witnessed it.

• Like 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

I find the narrative odd that the Aussies blew the Kiwis away and were a step ahead. 

The Kiwis had a disallowed try for being half a yard offside, and were still on the attack to win the game in the dying stages. 

• Like 3

One other thing, I don’t know what the consensus was but Ben hunt did not mean to find Addo-Carr with that kick.

• Confused 1

3736-mipm.gif

4 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

One other thing, I don’t know what the consensus was but Ben hunt did not mean to find Addo-Carr with that kick.

Im not sure, watch it again, he has a look to his left just before he kicks it, he might not have meant him to do what he did but it’s definitely a kick meant for him to chase

I just had a look back at the Wighton incident and his motion is stopped. Manu is touching him and his position on the ground doesn't change. Manu then slips off and Wighton lifts up his upper half to promote the ball.

This is an agonisingly close decision and really comes down to whether Wighton is allowed to move again having stopped in that position on the ground.

My instinct says No Try and I think the still is pretty important, but Manu does slip off.

I can understand the call of Try, but I would have disallowed it for Manu being in contact as Wighton momentarily came to a halt on the ground.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Yeah - fair enough. I get that. I just want to see the highest level of RL possible, and for me (a proud Kiwis fan) neither NZ nor England are ever really able to offer that.

The Kiwis were gassed by about 52 min tonight, they were hanging on due to a monster first half effort and some great early sets 2nd half.  The Roos though - they had another gear to shift into when needed. It is that kind of excellence that I really admire. 

And yet Australia won by the grand total of....2 points. I agree that NZ looked like they were wobbling with around 20 minutes to go. But with a tad more execution they still could have won.

Which doesn't tally with the dominant Aussie angle because if they could have scored 20 points in the last 10 minutes - they would have done. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Im not sure, watch it again, he has a look to his left just before he kicks it, he might not have meant him to do what he did but it’s definitely a kick meant for him to chase

He was just trying to hang it up in the corner after a pretty ordinary set. Got a bit lucky there although great finish from A-C

3736-mipm.gif

Great game. 

as a kiwis supporter I’m gutted but hats off to Australia. I feel a few things didn’t go our way but that’s life. 

I’m abit over aussies saying the aussies played poorly. They were able to do what they were allowed to do by the kiwi defence and vice versa. Acknowledge that both teams tested each other and in many ways nullified each others attack which is the whole goal of the game. 

it was clear to see who were the world class players and those that were lacking abit. Holmes wighton ado carr Tedesco latrell Martin all stood their ground and some. I think the kiwis overall were good but none could seem to step up to put the nail in the coffin. 

Those again that make comments like aus by 30-40 just are trolls or don’t understand the game. 

now give me that every year please but with a neutral ref. 

with regards to the ref I had no issue with Klein apart from the few calls that didn’t go our way. Yet again why can’t we get the optics right there are many decent English refs I believe capable of controlling that game. We just need it social media is all over it and makes our game look amateur. 

congrats kangaroos well deserved and hard fought test just as it should be and considered the pinnacle of sport. 

found fox league Brian fletchers comments very dismissive of the kiwis and typical sentiments towards the international game. they need to get over that every game has to be as fast as the nrl ######. It just irks me they can’t appreciate a tight game and that yes the ruck was abit slow but it went both ways. 2 amazing teams that deserve at least 1-2 a year but a 3 test series would be great

• Like 2

Just got home. Firstly we missed the first 2 scores late getting there. 

I do feel Oz got let off a few calls towards the latter stages. A few flops, interference/crossing and at least 2 offsides. However NZ were gassed. You could see the forwards walking back and taking until the 3rd tackle to get into the line.

While I wouldn't say Oz were by far the better team there was a feeling whenever they had the ball that something was possible. I just never got that with NZ.

Also missed the reason for the disallowed tries as at the other end and the don't show the video ref replay on the screen just got no try. Will need to watch on catch-up 

44:00 minute mark for the Wighton incident.

Video ref takes one look with two players obscuring the view and quickly clears it as OK.

Sorry, this stinks (regardless of whether it's the right call or not).

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 1

Was out with the Mrs tonight at a friends birthday.

Seen the score the now but not the game.

Be honest  will i be pi%$#& off with the aussie ref?

If the answer is yes , I'm not watching it.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

I am ###### off but not because of the ref, I am just deflated that New Zealand got within three points of sending out Australia and them thus missing the World Cup final for the first time since 1954!

especially as Australia played relatively poorly in the first half with a lot of errors, they were up against a top-quality Kiwi side, and they still managed to scrape through!

I have a horrible feeling now that Australia will win whoever they play in the final by a huge amount… I hope I am wrong however!!!!!

all up, an absolutely Fantastic game this morning, the first half was incredible, addo-carr’s try incredible…  just so disappointed for the Kiwis! 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jacksy said:

A few debatable calls that aided Oz, but Klein was pretty good and let the game flow.

It was the English video ref who hastily decided the controversial try, based upon a camera shot where two players were between the ball and the camera.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

I am ###### off but not because of the ref, I am just deflated that New Zealand got within three points of sending out Australia and them thus missing the World Cup final for the first time since 1954!

especially as Australia played relatively poorly in the first half with a lot of errors, they were up against a top-quality Kiwi side, and they still managed to scrape through!

I have a horrible feeling now that Australia will win whoever they play in the final by a huge amount… I hope I am wrong however!!!!!

all up, an absolutely Fantastic game this morning, the first half was incredible, addo-carr’s try incredible…  just so disappointed for the Kiwis! 

Fair enough. the aussies as good as ever.

Good luck to us or samoa in the final. 

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

6 hours ago, Madrileño said:

in weather conditions alien to their opponents

Gave you been to Australia in their winter?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Yes, I watched back and the offside call just after HT was fine. I don't know why, but I thought it was marginal watching live.

Good call there from the Video Ref.

The on-field guys called it as well but it was sensible to get it checked.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 hours ago, jacksy said:

Only if you don't know the laws and interpretations. Forget about the ref and enjoy one of the best games of rugby league you'll ever see.

• Like 1