Jump to content

I think you are wrong Jon


Recommended Posts


6 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Lack of ambition at certain times in the games history has in my opinion cost the game a lot in exposure which in turn would would have cost us money.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/world-cup-jon-wilkin-australia-28571527

For me the ambition was great , The issue was I think the organisers got in to a drum beating , Buzz word saying , everything is going to be great groupthink and assumed the job was done  , Stoked by Dutton . You can tell this was the case by the outlandish statements on attendance  . In Short they spent that long telling all and sundry about there new whirlpool bath ( which is not necessarily a bad thing ) that nobody checked the pipe work ( infrastructure, Basics )properly before the water got turned on . 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to like Wilkin when he became a pundit as his style was quite refreshing but he’s on everything now and has become a bit of a parody of himself. It also annoys me that he says things like he’s bored of rugby league, get someone who’s enthusiastic about the game on rather than someone who just wants the publicity / cash. 

  • Like 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I used to like Wilkin when he became a pundit as his style was quite refreshing but he’s on everything now and has become a bit of a parody of himself. It also annoys me that he says things like he’s bored of rugby league, get someone who’s enthusiastic about the game on rather than someone who just wants the publicity / cash. 

Get Keith senior to co host with him . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of the ambition was to be admired. St James’, Anfield and Emirates showed ambition when the tournament was announced but the saturation levels were high, so that was not exactly ambitious. Nine group games in St Helens, Warrington and Leigh was too much, for example. 

The attendance figures they wanted was ambitious, probably a bit too ambitious in all honesty. The pricing of tickets was very ambitious, too. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Lack of ambition at certain times in the games history has in my opinion cost the game a lot in exposure which in turn would would have cost us money.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/world-cup-jon-wilkin-australia-28571527

"Massive attendances and viewing figures"

??

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

"Massive attendances and viewing figures"

??

In fairness, England drew 43,199, 23,648, 18,760 and 40,489 in Newcastle, Bolton, Sheffield and London, hardly RL hotbeds, the wheelchair side broke attendance record after attendance record and we seemed to peak at over 1 million during BBC coverage for most England mens games. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

Ah Jon Wilkin, I knew he'd be wrong before I'd even read what he'd said. And he was.

To me he makes these comments without doing next to nothing research. He in my opinion just attention seeking and leaves himself open to ridicule. He is quite intelligent, but he doesn't come over that to me in his written comments. He could offer the game a lot, but always appears to me to want to play the devils advocate. He's better than that and i just don't understand his logic.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

I used to like Wilkin when he became a pundit as his style was quite refreshing but he’s on everything now and has become a bit of a parody of himself. It also annoys me that he says things like he’s bored of rugby league, get someone who’s enthusiastic about the game on rather than someone who just wants the publicity / cash. 

Kyle Amour is much more positive and enthusiastic 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, The Future is League said:

To me he makes these comments without doing next to nothing research. He in my opinion just attention seeking and leaves himself open to ridicule. He is quite intelligent, but he doesn't come over that to me in his written comments. He could offer the game a lot, but always appears to me to want to play the devils advocate. He's better than that and i just don't understand his logic.

The new Garry Schofield. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, thebrewxi said:

The new Garry Schofield. 

He more intelligent than Schofield, but that wouldn't be hard.

Jon Wilkin needs to go back to being positive about the game and point out its many positive parts. We don't know negative comments from people who have played the game at the highest level just to seek attention

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

He more intelligent than Schofield, but that wouldn't be hard.

Jon Wilkin needs to go back to being positive about the game and point out its many positive parts. We don't know negative comments from people who have played the game at the highest level just to seek attention

Agreed. I really don't understand why Wilkin feels like he has to always go to the hyperbolic "hot take" in so much of his punditry. He's smart enough to get good points across without sounding like he's trying to create a social media soundbite for TalkSport. 

Edited by whatmichaelsays
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

“It was ambitious was the tournament, wasn’t it?” said the former St. Helens stalwart during a recent appearance on the BBC 5 Live Rugby League World Cup podcast. “It was probably too ambitious in some ways but I loved that I felt that our sport was finally ambitious in different directions."

 

What a lovely pithy quote, might get it as a stencil.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't mind wilkin, at least he is prepared to say what he thinks, even if negative and what many pundits won't.

What he says is often something that needs attention.

It is better than just shouting its the greatest game and why are not more people watching it... 

Of course we don't have agree but in my opinion his more often fair comment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I don't mind wilkin, at least he is prepared to say what he thinks, even if negative and what many pundits won't.

What he says is often something that needs attention.

It is better than just shouting its the greatest game and why are not more people watching it... 

Of course we don't have agree but in my opinion his more often fair comment.

But more fair towards St Helens.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was so bored with Jiffy the Negative on Aunty and along comes Wilkin the Worse and two times he isn't are interesting, his wheelchair moments and when the Aussies were playing.

I appreciate he's got to find something interesting to say and that often means being controversial as a pundit but I don't tune into RL to be turned off.

Flash to the wheelchair commentary and it's on the money and rarely downgrades or ruins the experience.

I don't watch other sports but are the pundits and commentators on them as unsupportive as ours?

 

 

 

  • Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...