Which are the best mince pies?

I've been trying all the different mass produced mince pies out there this year and am interested to know which you think are the best. I'm sure there are some independent bakeries and 'artisan' mince pies which are lovely but I'm sticking to the kind that come in a box of 4 or 6 from the supermarket. 

I have personally found Lyons to be the tastiest and Marks and Spencer to be the worst of those I have tried so far. 

So which do you like the most? 

Home made, surely. 

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

3 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Home made, surely. 

Thanks to the excellence of my stepmother's home-made mince pies, I haven't tasted a shop-bought one in years.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've been trying all the different mass produced mince pies out there this year and am interested to know which you think are the best. I'm sure there are some independent bakeries and 'artisan' mince pies which are lovely but I'm sticking to the kind that come in a box of 4 or 6 from the supermarket. 

I have personally found Lyons to be the tastiest and Marks and Spencer to be the worst of those I have tried so far. 

So which do you like the most? 

They're all pretty horrible really to me 

I mean I'll eat one or two at Xmas just for the sake of it but I'm not what you'd call a fan 

Gin however I am a massive fan of. The more the merrier of that stuff

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

15 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

I must have cheap tastes. These people seemed to really like the Marks and Sparks ones but I really didn't. I thought the pastry was really doughy and sloppy. I can agree with aldi being very nice though! Still Lyons for me but they don't even seem to have included them. Also £13 for some mince pies from Fortnum and Mason? I'm having heart attack! 

13 hours ago, doc said:

Any mince pie is the best. Like mine with a dollop of spray cream!😁

Being a fan of mince pies I’ve had them from most supermarkets.

My favourite is Aldi followed by Morrisons, but instead of cream I like mine with a wedge of Cheddar or Wensleydale cheese.

Home made are ok but they need eating straight away, they don’t keep very well.

11 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

What about malt loaf? .... I bet you don't like that 

No one does 

I love malt loaf!

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not fussed, I love mince pies. And I don't care where it came from.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Guess I am quite lucky as the wife loves to cook, and is very good at it. She makes home made mince pies or a regular basis throughout the year, along with fruit cake, biscuits and apple pies.   The only time I eat a shop bought mince pie is at other peoples houses and usually at Christmas (what's wrong with mince pies at any time of year) so can't really comment on shop bought ones.  

I also like malt loaf. 😲

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

1 hour ago, hindle xiii said:

I have the following options in my kitchen to try:

ASDA Extra Special 6 Luxury Sloe Gin Mince Pies.

ASDA Extra Special 6 Irish Cream Liqueur Mince Pies.

The sloe gin ones sound interesting, but the cream liqueur ones could be a bit sickly.

Ralph Waldo Emerson