Confirmed Squads/Likely Line Ups 2023

8 hours ago, MZH said:

A few positions are up for grabs. My personal preference for a 17 if everyone is fit would be:

1. Hoy

2. Vulikijapani

3. Tuimavave

4. Sutcliffe

5. Swift

6. Trueman

7. Clifford

8. Fash

9. Lovodua

10. Satae

11. Savelio

12. Sao

13. Cator

14. Dwyer

15. Brown

16. Evans

17. Lane

I'd be surprised if thats the actual team though.

Has anyone seen much of Hoy/Clifford? I rarely get to watch much NRL so can't say I've heard of either of them.

You must be hoping they'll inject a bit of pace into the Hull backline. You were seriously vulnerable out wide last season and it almost seemed like you were putting all your eggs into smashing teams through your massive pack. 

Leeds squad numbers:

1          Richie Myler
2          David Fusitu’a
3          Harry Newman
4          Nene Macdonald
5          Ash Handley
6          Blake Austin
7          Aidan Sezer
8          Mikolaj Oledzki
9          Kruise Leeming
10        Zane Tetevano
11        James Bentley
12        Rhyse Martin
13        Cameron Smith
14        Jarrod O’Connor
15        Sam Lisone
16        Derrell Olpherts
17        Justin Sangare
18        Tom Holroyd
19        James McDonnell
20        Morgan Gannon
21        Luke Hooley
22        Sam Walters
23        Liam Tindall
24        Luis Roberts
25        James Donaldson
26        Corey Johnson
27        Toby Warren
28        Max Simpson
29        Jack Sinfield
30        Levi Edwards
31        Leon Ruan
32        Oli Field
33        Joe Gibbons
34        Alfie Edgell
35        Riley Lumb
38        Jack Smith

1 hour ago, SalfordSlim said:

Has anyone seen much of Hoy/Clifford? I rarely get to watch much NRL so can't say I've heard of either of them.

You must be hoping they'll inject a bit of pace into the Hull backline. You were seriously vulnerable out wide last season and it almost seemed like you were putting all your eggs into smashing teams through your massive pack. 

Hoy I don't know too much about but he is supposedly pretty quick.

Clifford I have seen, and he's effectively Sneyd's replacement. Very good kicking game and organisational skills but not the most dynamic. Both of them are the right age where players usually come over with a point to prove and do pretty well (23 and 24 respectively).

On balance, as much as I was a big Jake Connor fan, Hoy, Trueman and Clifford should be a much better set of pivots than Connor, Reynolds and Gale. But only time will tell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WN83 said:

It's really difficult to predict our first 17 at the minute with the Bateman situation. Moves clearly were in the pipeline with them saying they won't announce the squad numbers until the squad is 'finalised' but as you say, rumours now seem to be picking up pace that Bateman may be staying. It needs sorting one way or the other asap though.

If the squad we have now is what goes in to that first game at HKR, you'd imagine we'd line up something like-

Field

French King Wardle Marshall

Cust Smith

Byrne Powell Singleton

Bateman Farrell Smithies

subs

Havard Ellis Cooper Pearce-Paul

Having a couple of natural centres should really make a difference for us in 2023. The attack was good in 2022 but it did revolve pretty much solely around 2 players and the lack of ability from guys like Bibby and Isa to hurt the opposition limited us in games where French and Field were shut down. 

That frontrow wouldn’t scare a good Championsjp side & the lack of punch in the middle will continue to cost us in big games,hopefully Cooper & a maturing Havard & O’Neill can help with that but Ellis & Mago really need to step up after pretty average efforts last season.

Farrell along with the back 3 of Field,French & Marshall will again be the major attacking weapons & with the improved centre partnership could be even more dangerous this year.

3 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

From what i've seen of them in the NRL for me I think the jury is still out on both of them.

Hoy has great pace but appears somewhat suspect under the high ball and in defence. Clifford is an interesting one. He very much burst onto the scene and looked a real prospect when he broke into the Cowboys team but within a year or so had fallen out of favor and his career has been in freefall ever since. His time at the Knights was a disaster and he looked completely out of his depth in a lot of games. I think the move to SL is pretty much make or break for him

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

28 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

That frontrow wouldn’t scare a good Championsjp side & the lack of punch in the middle will continue to cost us in big games,hopefully Cooper & a maturing Havard & O’Neill can help with that but Ellis & Mago really need to step up after pretty average efforts last season.

Farrell along with the back 3 of Field,French & Marshall will again be the major attacking weapons & with the improved centre partnership could be even more dangerous this year.

I'm pretty much just going with what I expect to see. I like Byrne but I personally would pair him with Cooper as starting props and then you have a good mix of defensive grunt and good go forward. I don't mind Singleton tbh but him and Byrne don't offer enough go forward to pair them up. Havard is a guy I'd also like to see step up as a starter but to do that, he needs to really put a marker down early doors. He's so talented and has some games where you think he should be an international but he does then seem to have a few quiet games. He just needs to push himself a bit harder IMO and he could be anything. Mago is Mago, I don't think we'll ever see anything more than the odd moment unfortunately but he might surprise us. Ellis is another I'd put alongside Havard in that he needs to push himself harder every single week. There is the making of a really good player but he plays within himself for me. I think the two bans he got might have put him in his shell a bit. 

I really hope we see more of Brad O'Neill this season. If we look at that home game against Saints before the play offs, he was excellent and offers more threat with the ball than Sam Powell but for some reason, he seems to be seen as back up and no more. I'm not a Sam Powell basher by any stretch but I also don't see him as a guy who has to start every week and has to be play long minutes. He should be sharing that role as more of a 50/50 or 60/40 split with Brad O'Neill in 2023 for me (but I'm not at all convinced we'll see it). 

• Like 2

On 19/12/2022 at 19:11, boris74 said:

Probably nothing like but here goes...

Hoy, McIntosh, Carlos, Sutcliffe, Swift, Trueman, Clifford, Taylor, Houghton, Satae, Sao, Savelio, Lane

Bench from - Dwyer, Lovodua, Brown, Fash, Cator, Griffin, Shaul, Evans, Scott, Mitch, McNamara

Plenty of youngsters with a few SL games under their belt waiting to step in once the injuries kick in!

Houghton is now 3 years past his best

Brierley 

Sio 

Cross 

Lafai 

Burgess 

Croft 

Sneyd 

Vuniyayawa 

Ackers 

Dupree 

Wright 

Watkins 

Partington 

Ormondroyd 

Gerrard 

Stone 

Sidlow 

Sarginson 

Atkin 

Williams 

Longstaff 

Dixon 

Costello 

Salford squad looks decent and could add 1 more to the roster.

1 hour ago, DG70 said:

Brierley 

Sio 

Cross 

Lafai 

Burgess 

Croft 

Sneyd 

Vuniyayawa 

Ackers 

Dupree 

Wright 

Watkins 

Partington 

Ormondroyd 

Gerrard 

Stone 

Sidlow 

Sarginson 

Atkin 

Williams 

Longstaff 

Dixon 

Costello 

Sam Stone will definitely be a starting player for Salford, by far your best back rower.

9 hours ago, DG70 said:

Brierley 

Sio 

Cross 

Lafai 

Burgess 

Croft 

Sneyd 

Vuniyayawa 

Ackers 

Dupree 

Wright 

Watkins 

Partington 

Ormondroyd 

Gerrard 

Stone 

Sidlow 

Sarginson 

Atkin 

Williams 

Longstaff 

Dixon 

Costello 

Missed of greenwood( who could have a good year if he stays fit) and Amir bourouh, and as you say we still have a quota spot and could bring in another- hopefully a prop.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Sam Stone will definitely be a starting player for Salford, by far your best back rower.

Hard one that. Watkins had been top notch and arguably one of the best sr in league last year, but he’s out for the first few weeks so stone gets his shot. It may end up stone and Watkins starting and Wright on the bench.

14 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Big claim that when I'd have picked Watkins for England in the SR if he hadn't been asked to cover centre based on his form last year. I'm looking forward to seeing Stone against decent opposition though as he obviously had a good season in the Championship for Leigh (not a dig at Champ players btw but it's obviously a big step up playing FT players every week).

As strong a Salford squad as I've seen, depth wise, in my 33 years watching the club.

Edited by SalfordSlim
  • Like 2

Wigan definitely look stronger for their new centre pairing and that Huddersfield squad looks tasty. Those two teams should be right up with St Helens next year. Among the others, Salford look decent again and I'm interested to see what Leeds look like. Catalans should be strong again but will wait for a more learned person to post their likely team. Among the other possible contenders, Hull have had a lot of change and here's hoping it works. Warrington, likewise, but geez, that is a weak centre pairing! 

I think it's shaping as a strong season with some good teams at the top, a lot of competitive teams fighting for those final play-off places, and then Wakefield entrenched down the bottom, trotting out a poor team in a crumbling stadium.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Big claim that when I'd have picked Watkins for England in the SR if he hadn't been asked to cover centre based on his form last year. I'm looking forward to seeing Stone against decent opposition though as he obviously had a good season in the Championship for Leigh (not a dig at Champ players btw but it's obviously a big step up playing FT players every week).

As strong a Salford squad as I've seen, depth wise, in my 33 years watching the club.

Stone is a great player. Even in a poor Leigh side in SL the previous season, he didn't look out of place. We should have kept him !

Watkins did indeed have a new lease of life but I must say had a shocking World Cup defensively. Whether that is his fault or not is debatable, especially playing in the pack all year then having to mark the worlds best centres.

He was caught out for sure !

Salford will continue to play a great brand of Rugby and will do very well. Hoping for a big occasion for the newly rebranded Leigh side and a huge crowd to boot which I am sure Salford should have no problems filling the South Stand.

Good luck.

Catalans will announce their squad at a fonction in the Perpignan town hall on 20th January

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

• 1 month later...

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

On 20/12/2022 at 02:52, MZH said:

A few positions are up for grabs. My personal preference for a 17 if everyone is fit would be:

1. Hoy

2. Vulikijapani

3. Tuimavave

4. Sutcliffe

5. Swift

6. Trueman

7. Clifford

8. Fash

9. Lovodua

10. Satae

11. Savelio

12. Sao

13. Cator

14. Dwyer

15. Brown

16. Evans

17. Lane

I'd be surprised if thats the actual team though.

Poor side that Cant see Hull finishing above 10th. 

This is how i think Leigh will line up in round 1, only question marks are on Briscoe, Hughes and Mellor who missed the Leeds friendly but will play this weekend against Warrington.

1 Zak Hardaker
2 Tom Briscoe/Tom Nisbett
3 Ed Chamberlain
4 Ricky Leutele
5 Josh Charnley
6 Joe Mellor/Gareth O'Brien
7 Lachlan Lam
8 Rob Mulhern
9 Aaron Smith
10 Ben Nakubuwai 
11 Kai O'Donnell
12 Oli Holmes
13 John Asiata

14 Edwin Ipape
15 Tom Amone
16 Ava Seumanufagai
17 Jack Hughes/Matt Davis

26 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

This is how i think Leigh will line up in round 1, only question marks are on Briscoe, Hughes and Mellor who missed the Leeds friendly but will play this weekend against Warrington.

1 Zak Hardaker
2 Tom Briscoe/Tom Nisbett
3 Ed Chamberlain
4 Ricky Leutele
5 Josh Charnley
6 Joe Mellor/Gareth O'Brien
7 Lachlan Lam
8 Rob Mulhern
9 Aaron Smith
10 Ben Nakubuwai 
11 Kai O'Donnell
12 Oli Holmes