Sat 18th Feb: World Club Challenge: Penrith Panthers v St Helens KO 7:00 (UK Time) (Sky/C4)

Who will win?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Penrith Panthers
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/02/23 at 07:30

17 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

Not to be a Negative Nigel but it seems a shame to not have a sponsor for this competition. (Or is there and I missed it?) 

I think the NSW gov`t sponsored it. There was a NSW Gov`t Logo in the centre of the field. V`Landy`s has threatened he will take these games interstate if the Gov`t doesn`t start stumping up cash to help host them here.

With about 1000 + English fans travelling for the game, that`s probably ~$ 5m straight into the local economy just for starters. I bet Panthers Leagues club did a roaring trade after the game as well, and I`m pretty sure the locals would have made them feel welcome even after the loss. And I`m serious.

13 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I would like to see the same again next year with the SL winners going down under.

I think the pre season challenge is a good idea and more interesting than the normal trial games and with an odd number of NRL sides now, the Super League champions playing in both rounds works well.

Yes and when we get our 18th team how about both Super League Grand Finalists or even the Super League Grand Final winner and the CC winner make the trip. I don`t think there`s any question it adds something exotic (if that`s a good word for anything British 😜) to the tournament.

With nearly 400 000 viewers on Fox (STB & streaming) I think Fox would be pretty stoked. My son and I streamed it on his laptop in a hotel in Coffs Harbour, we were riding Saint Helen`s all the way. Great game, great result.

• Like 4

Not a lot of chat about Paul Wellens on here, but it looks like has absolutely nailed the gameplan and tactical side here. 

Could be a coach to really keep an eye on going forward. Their defensive gameplan (and performance) was excellent. I expected them to score points but didn't expect them to shut down Penrith so effectively.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

That should shut up the cocky panthers and their smug fans.

If the Panthers were being loud/cocky, that is interesting. I am surprised,  because the players looked absolutely gutted at the end of the game.

What were the Panthers saying that made them cocky? 

4 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

If the Panthers were being loud/cocky, that is interesting. I am surprised,  because the players looked absolutely gutted at the end of the game.

What were the Panthers saying that made them cocky? 

The Panthers have been a cocky bunch for the last 18 months. It's their actions rather than words. Their fans do all the crowing. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Pulga said:

Apparently that's now 14 wins a piece between NRL and SL clubs.

Cool stat.

That figure included the '76 Roosters (Easts) v Saints game which wasn't an official WCC (Saints weren't champions, Salford were).

It's 14-13 to us Poms now.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

In my life time, nobody even close. And yes I do realise what a big call that is when you consider players like Sculthorpe, Cunningham, Long, Graham, Newlove etc

All great players. But I don’t think they come close to Roby. Longevity, success and importance… he’s been simply outstanding every year he’s played. An all time Saints great and in my opinion, the best Saint ever. 

• Like 4

In `The Australian` today ;

"St Helens chief executive Mike Rush is an outstanding rugby league administrator who has built Saints into a Super League powerhouse with four straight titles.

St Helens are not just a great footy side on the field. They have a fantastic culture and a ‘no sweet and lovely person’ policy.

They have done school visits and coaching clinics since arriving in Sydney. It was not their responsibility but the players were keen to get out into the community."

I mean they`re doing school visits and clinics,  mental.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, The storm said:

Ive been a big fan of LMS for at least a decade

He is still going strong aged 37 and has had a truly incredible career. 

Today, as usual he gave his all, and in terms of sheer guts and determination he is a world class athlete who has so much more to offer to our game

Like a fine wine is LMS. Excellent yesterday. The bloke is 37… so absolutely agree on the ‘world class athlete’ tag. I expect this is his last year? 

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Just out of interest if that game was played for the next ten weekends in a row what do you think the outcome would be, 10-0 to Saints? 

Disingenuous to ask that loaded question, I'd say. Why not just come out and say directly what you mean?

13 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

All great players. But I don’t think they come close to Roby. Longevity, success and importance… he’s been simply outstanding every year he’s played. An all time Saints great and in my opinion, the best Saint ever. 

There have been four true greats of the games in this century.

Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Jonathan Thurstan and James Roby.

• Like 1

People called Romans they go the house

9 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Like a fine wine is LMS. Excellent yesterday. The bloke is 37… so absolutely agree on the ‘world class athlete’ tag. I expect this is his last year? 

The RFL should employ him to promote the game in London when he retires

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

He will just need a bleep machine on hand for any press he does though.

Ha, he would need all interviews pre recording.

He’s a big character and a genuine London product who kids from the capital could relate to 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Ok, I mean that game doesn’t prove Saints are better than Penrith. 

In sport, the team that wins is usually considered the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If only we had some way of seeing which of 2 teams is the better one, maybe some kind of contest on some grass or something....

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Madrileño said:

OK. What actions then?

Well there are many. The injections in their arms last night for one. I assume that is them injecting ice in their veins, but I really have NFI! If someone knows, let me know.

The occurrence that really stirred me was last year when Luai scored late to seal a hard fought win against the Sharks at their home. He stood up and looked over to the cameras and waved his hand and mouthed “bye bye”. It actually infuriated me haha. As if I didn't hate them enough. 

I reckon most fans of other clubs will have similar stories.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dkw said:

If only we had some way of seeing which of 2 teams is the better one, maybe some kind of contest on some grass or something....

There are lots of illogical ideas about at present. Even the rain had a role in the reversal of what should be. It's not unlike this when one of the reputed lower sides beat Saints or Wigan alot of people have to check their screen saver's working. I don't know or care about other sports but do they have similar psychological difficulties with one side beating another?

• Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

24 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I know what you are getting at Eddie, but the win is the win in the game that mattered.

If we cannot accept the “Champions” are the best team, then it seems impossible because I don't see any other way to measure who the best is.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Well there are many. The injections in their arms last night for one. I assume that is them injecting ice in their veins, but I really have NFI! If someone knows, let me know.

The occurrence that really stirred me was last year when Luai scored late to seal a hard fought win against the Sharks at their home. He stood up and looked over to the cameras and waved his hand and mouthed “bye bye”. It actually infuriated me haha. As if I didn't hate them enough. 

I reckon most fans of other clubs will have similar stories.

I agree with this.  People always talk about how players behave when they lose but I think how you behave when you win tells far more about you.  I like to see teams and players win with grace and I really don't like cocky players.

Of course any team that wins earns the right to behave how they like but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

Penrith have been one my favourite clubs over the last few decades (not least because they were often plucky losers) but this year I wouldn't mind if they were knocked down a peg or two.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris