Sat 18th Feb: World Club Challenge: Penrith Panthers v St Helens KO 7:00 (UK Time) (Sky/C4)

Who will win?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Penrith Panthers
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/02/23 at 07:30

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m amazed that my one comment this morning, replying to someone who said that yesterday’s result proves Saints are better than Penrith, has caused so much angst. I don’t think anyone has disputed that Saints are worthy world champions. 

The game was to see who is the best club side in the world  - Saints won.

Its pretty simple to understand really.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

They’ve certainly been more consistent for decades but far above,no.

The stats suggest that they have. Look at what they’ve won - by the end of this year they could have 30 major titles. Far far above the rest. Their absolute dominance is disguised by Leeds’ being serial October peakers (not to denigrate that at all, save only to point out the week in week out dominance). Pretty much twice as many as Wigan, and a lot of those Wigan wins weren’t when we were the dominant team, aside from in the Maguire era. It’s up to the other clubs to raise their game, and I hope that they can, but even if they do now, it’ll be years before they’ll challenge consistently. 

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

if you don’t want a comment/post to be challenged maybe posting on a public discussion forum

The whole point is so someone can take up on what you've said. On point the WCC winners must be able to stake a claim at being the best club side in the world otherwise the trophy, title and game is worthless,  irrelevant and pointless.

To suggest they aren't is to deny the achievement.

I could argue that SRD are actually the best team in the world and according to my criteria they are, but I wouldn't put this on a trophy  thread that another team won.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

The whole point is so someone can take up on what you've said. On point the WCC winners must be able to stake a claim at being the best club side in the world otherwise the trophy, title and game is worthless,  irrelevant and pointless.

To suggest they aren't is to deny the achievement.

I could argue that SRD are actually the best team in the world and according to my criteria they are, but I wouldn't put this on a trophy  thread that another team won.

I didn’t say Saints aren’t the best team in the world though. Yet again, people putting words in someone else’s mouth and arguing against them. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I didn’t say Saints aren’t the best team in the world though. Yet again, people putting words in someone else’s mouth and arguing against them. 

For that to be true I would've had to post that you said that I don't recall doing that. But I think that may be enough.

8 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I agree with this.  People always talk about how players behave when they lose but I think how you behave when you win tells far more about you.  I like to see teams and players win with grace and I really don't like cocky players.

Of course any team that wins earns the right to behave how they like but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

Penrith have been one my favourite clubs over the last few decades (not least because they were often plucky losers) but this year I wouldn't mind if they were knocked down a peg or two.

I wouldn't argue that Penrith are a tad arrogant but there are a few clubs this side of the pond that are equally up their own booties.

On this occasion the smug Scousers beat the smug Aussies (and again congratulations for doing that👏).

52 minutes ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

Congrats to Saints and they were certainly the best team on the night, an amazing result for the British game!

One quick question, when they bought Roby back on for golden point, is that technically allowed? Do they allow extra subs in golden point? Was curious about this

Yes I think you get two more interchanges. They were also increased from 8 to 10 in the game because of the heat. 

8 minutes ago, Leonard said:

About £57k.  Not a big prize.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

I don’t know why Eddie is getting so much heat for his view to be honest.

It’s perfectly reasonable to say both that Saints are the WCC winners and the better team on the day but still hold the view that the NRL is better than SL and/or Penrith Panthers are a better side than Saints.

Yeah it’s bizarre that this needs to be explained to people!

What happens if Castleford beat Saints next week (hypothetical question)? By some people’s logic on this forum,  it would mean that Castleford are an overall better team than both Saints & Penrith (and in theory, the best team in the world).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AB90 said:

What happens if Castleford beat Saints next week (hypothetical question)? By some people’s logic on this forum,  it would mean that Castleford are an overall better team than both Saints & Penrith (and in theory, the best team in the world).

ITs not the same thing, why cant people see that. Cas beating Saints in a eague game is completely different to 2 teams competing in a cup final they got to by wnning another competition. Its a final between the 2 best teams in each league, tht in itself means its a fina between the best teams in the only 2 pro leagues in RL. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AB90 said:

It worked for Scotland at Wembley in 1967.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, dkw said:

ITs not the same thing, why cant people see that. Cas beating Saints in a eague game is completely different to 2 teams competing in a cup final they got to by wnning another competition. Its a final between the 2 best teams in each league, tht in itself means its a fina between the best teams in the only 2 pro leagues in RL. 

It is the same as the same principle applies. Just because its a world club challenge, SL grand final, Challenge Cup final, Championship Final, NRL final etc doesn’t magically change that. 

If the best team won all the time then their wouldn’t by much point in watching (BTW, im not discrediting Saints as they were deserved winners).

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, dkw said:

The other idea is that someone is getting a load of stick for having an opinion it's not the person it's the opinion that's getting lambasted. (good word that!)

We always try and overthink these things. Eddie is of course right that winning a comp doesn't make you the best team necessarily. In the same way that Leeds winning SL from 6th didn't make them the best team. Or Greece winning the Euro championship doesn't suddenly make them the best team in Europe. 

But that rather misses the point. Its a mean-spirited argument that doesn't need to be had. Saints are World Club Champions, beating Penrith, with nobody giving them a chance. 

We don't always need to over-scrutinise everything. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Oxford said:

The other idea is that someone is getting a load of stick for having an opinion it's not the person it's the opinion that's getting lambasted. (good word that!)

I cannot put into words how ironic this sentence is.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 hours ago, AB90 said:

As my lot beat Castleford yesterday, I await the Cas v Saints result with interest, obviously hoping for a home win in order to process my order of :

"HULL FC : OFFICIALLY THE BEST RL CLUB IN THE WORLD!" t shirts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)