Are Saints in the News?

2 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Then it should be on IMG's shopping list for a sit down and talk about a magazine prog just before The Last Leg so Hillsy can mention it  afterwards.

Hills already bigs up rugby league and Channel 4's rugby league coverage in The Last Leg to the extent that it can occasionally cross over into a bit of a joke.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And ............ the question in point Tommy re IMG's involvement with Channel 4, why was it a seemingly closely guarded secret that the game was being broadcast live!

Do you normally see a lot of adverts for Ch4 programming?

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Hills already bigs up rugby league and Channel 4's rugby league coverage in The Last Leg to the extent that it can occasionally cross over into a bit of a joke.

You're missing the point there gj, what RL has always lacked is the mention. Being mentioned at all has been TGG's downfall and El Dorado all in the same bag.

• Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 minutes ago, Oxford said:

When you have an event, I thought the idea is that it's a one off, special in the calendar and needs to be held separately from all other compeitions. It should probably be at a neutral venue as well.

As for Saints there was a huge amount of talking them down and questioning them being there at all. So much so that some commentators had to big them up to balance it.

Then it should be on IMG's shopping list for a sit down and talk about a magazine prog just before The Last Leg so Hillsy can mention it  afterwards.

That's not talking the game down though. Perhaps talking down the opposition’s chances. I don't recall anything in the media being disrespectful of St Helens or SL either, so I  don't think this is a balanced opinion.

Back to your point that the game “was presented differently in Oz”. I disagree. It seemed to be presented the same as it has anywhere it's been hosted this century.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don't recall the media looking down on the fixture or having it presented as a warm up fixture. Are you sure this actually happened?

I know there are bozos on Facebook discrediting the win because Saints are in the middle of the season and Penrith are still in pre-season. But I wouldn't let a few bozos lead you to believe what the general rugby league fan thinks.

" Middle of the season" ? , 😂

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don't recall the media looking down on the fixture or having it presented as a warm up fixture. Are you sure this actually happened?

I know there are bozos on Facebook discrediting the win because Saints are in the middle of the season and Penrith are still in pre-season. But I wouldn't let a few bozos lead you to believe what the general rugby league fan thinks.

Them bozos wouldn't have to be Australians would they LOL?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Them bozos wouldn't have to be Australians would they LOL?

Well, no, they wouldn't have to be, but I assume they were as they were downplaying the Saints win. Unlike bozo poms that you often find on BBC discussion threads just ripping into RL for the sake of it.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Do you normally see a lot of adverts for Ch4 programming?

I didn't know it was on C4 and I'm one of the worst RL tragics....annoyed as I would ahve enjoyed some build up rather than the Sky stream if showing them coming through tunnel only 

Since watched the C4 build.up and it was good 

• Like 1

Been on this exact page since Monday

image.png.eb3870bba8c84d16bf74c76429ac1a08.png

Was listed on rugbyleagueontv

Advertised by Channel 4

Promoted by Adam Hills and the presenters

Broadcast deal covered by RL media

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yep....I assume people on Aussie social media are correcting them?

Aussies are so out of date they think we still play September to May.

• Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It is always going to vanish reasonably quickly - that's just the nature of sports coverage in this country. A day when Arsenal win 4-2 and City draw, both in dramatic fashion, will see those dwarf anything else.

And those two football results were also ancient history a couple of hours later by the time Liverpool had played Newcastle. There's no real conspiracy here.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

That's not talking the game down though. Perhaps talking down the opposition’s chances. I don't recall anything in the media being disrespectful of St Helens or SL either, so I  don't think this is a balanced opinion.

Back to your point that the game “was presented differently in Oz”. I disagree. It seemed to be presented the same as it has anywhere it's been hosted this century.

No it's not a balanced opinion because there's nothing balanced about opinions it's sort of on the label really.

I know sometimes there is a mixture of things that make clarity hard to define. But there was alot of commentry and punditry that was basically slagging and a bit too arrogant which is one of the reasons a Saint's win is so good.

If the placing of the match in the middle of warm-up season and and not on a day on it's own doesn't alarm you then RL has lost the battle and the war.

Having said that there ought to be a big thanks made to those in the Aussie media who didn't follow the awful and easier journalistic pattern.

• Like 2

IMG have a massive job in terms of exposure - beyond media coverage. 

My dad travelled through Haydock and Blackbrook to attend a St Helens Hospital appointment yesterday afternoon. Dad found it sad he only saw one bit of Saints merchandise, a car sticker, but around a dozen items of Liverpool FC  paraphernalia displayed in homes and cars, as well as worn. 

Admittedly, it was for an eye check-up... but you get the drift of how IMG will have to earn their money for RL to capture hearts and minds throughout the heartlands, as well as across the UK. 

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Nothing in The Telegraph

But there never was anything in the Telegraph and unikely to have anything anytime soon. And that's not just as far as RL is concerned.

1 hour ago, Superb Chops said:

IMG have a massive job in terms of exposure - beyond media coverage. 

They'll need to be even better than everyone maintains they are because they're up against the immovable object in the Westminster Media merry go round of of family and school ties.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, RLX111 said:

The last RL article was World Cup Final  ! (2022)

It will never be simply about when or even if, they had an article, it will be : column space compared to other events, the reason they turned up, who the journalist was who wrote for them and last but not least what they actually said.

The mention is crucial but so is the type and quality of the mention.

Sending a K&C hack to do a hatchet job has been the norm far too often.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Well, no, they wouldn't have to be, but I assume they were as they were downplaying the Saints win. Unlike bozo poms that you often find on BBC discussion threads just ripping into RL for the sake of it.

Thanks for admitting that they were Aussies.

Sometimes we have fumbleball fans on here masquerading as Rugby League fans and telling us how wonderful fumbleball is.