Thur 6th Apr: SL: Castleford Tigers v Wakefield Trinity KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers
    • Wakefield Trinity

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/04/23 at 19:30

That was tough to watch.

As a Trinity fan the effort is there and I do actually feel bad for the players. 

Equally I also feel for Apelgarth a bit. 

Jowitt, Tanginoa, Bowden and Murphy being unavailable most/all of season has been shocking bad luck to endure. They would all make a difference imho. there’s not enough quality in depth and it’s being tested early.

Thankfully Tanginoa and Bowden are finally ready to play their first game next week. Much needed especially Tanginoa. 

There were some shocking individual errors in that first half from players that I wouldn’t put at the feet of the coach. 

Captain Ashurst - missing tackle was a shocker leading to that 1st try. he then followed up with a pressure release heel grab on 4th tackle when Cas under pump! 

kicking out on the full…knocking on early in count on attack etc.

Second half actually much better when we ran hard and started throwing ball about. A bit more composure and execution and we could have had a couple more try’s. 

Need to beat Leigh next week. 

Thought the halves went okay. 

Problems are edge forwards don’t offer attacking threats, distribution from 9 isn’t direct or fast enough and 13 just charges it in when they should be linking up and sending the ball along the line instead of stifling attacking plays.

Cut out the errors, get the few players I mentioned back in and work on exectuting those plays and maybe there’s hood of turning it around for Apelgarth. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, meast said:

Haven't seen the game so can't comment on that, but what's interesting is Applegarth.

Presumably he was a cheap option as coach but is he likely to be under pressure from A) the Wakefield board and B) the fans and media or due to the notion that finally there might not be a weaker side and there's a lot of expectation for them to go down, does Applegarth in effect get a free ride?

Be interesting to hear Wakefield fans' take on this, what is his likely remit?

To ready them for the inevitable and try and build to come back up or solely to try and keep them up this year?

It’s an interesting one, he’s a well respected academy coach and everyone in the know seems to speak well off him.  It was only going to go 2 ways start well and it’s masterstroke of an appointment good young English coach given a chance in SL.  Or as is the case start poorly and he’s classed as a rubbish inexperienced coach. He’s had no luck at all start of this season, in my opinion our first choice 13 could stand a chance but after that we’re not good enough and we been decimated with injuries from the start of the season but still could have won 3/4 of them games.  Last point on do we keep with and start to rebuild for promotion next season or gamble on bringing someone new in to try and keep us up this season.  This is the interesting part and I wonder if the new IMG proposal’s effect the board’s decisions making.

Up the Trin

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Trojan Horse said:

That was tough to watch.

As a Trinity fan the effort is there and I do actually feel bad for the players. 

Trojan matey, nothing wrong with that. But Mash wasn't ready for the job, not his fault, he was set up by a clueless bean counter who promoted himself to director of rugby.

Look at the blokes squad, 3 imports who are overpaid rubbish , then  overpaid garbage Lineham, Gaskill,Hood. Then numerous Championship standard triers. Other than Lino tonight, spot the SL player.

Who is responsible for bringing this shambles to the club? Mash is a symptom of the real problem. For those with a sharp eye, the culprit had a little cameo as he was sat in the stand.

30 minutes ago, Trojan Horse said:

That was tough to watch.

Jowitt, Tanginoa, Bowden and Murphy being unavailable most/all of season has been shocking bad luck to endure. They would all make a difference imho. there’s not enough quality in depth and it’s being tested early.

Thankfully Tanginoa and Bowden are finally ready to play their first game next week. Much needed especially Tanginoa. 

There were some shocking individual errors in that first half from players that I wouldn’t put at the feet of the coach. 

Captain Ashurst - missing tackle was a shocker leading to that 1st try. he then followed up with a pressure release heel grab on 4th tackle when Cas under pump! 

kicking out on the full…knocking on early in count on attack etc.

Second half actually much better when we ran hard and started throwing ball about. A bit more composure and execution and we could have had a couple more try’s. 

Need to beat Leigh next week. 

Thought the halves went okay. 

Problems are edge forwards don’t offer attacking threats, distribution from 9 isn’t direct or fast enough and 13 just charges it in when they should be linking up and sending the ball along the line instead of stifling attacking plays.

Cut out the errors, get the few players I mentioned back in and work on exectuting those plays and maybe there’s hood of turning it around for Apelgarth. 

In summary- to help people who don't want to read the full post, your saying- Wakefield arnt good enough this season.

• Haha 1

Just now, Wakey Til I Die said:

Not good enough at boardroom level.

Not good enough at coaching level.

Not good enough on the pitch.

Other than that it's all good.

In fact some of the fans are idiots as well, fighting on the terraces and chucking a flare on the pitch. Great night all round.

Two very poor sides, Mcshane was comfortably the best player on the pitch and probably the difference to be fair, along with Edens finishing.

From a Cas perspective. It would be hard to justify appointing Last.  Been slightly less rubbish than the other team on a couple of occasions isnt exactly a glowing reference..

3 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Love both of these 2 traditional clubs:) however to the casual viewer the Castleford ground looks a tip:( on TV

So does Burnley in football or Bournemouth but who cares. 

Im sure the empty Huddersfield or Hull grounds looks even worse. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

As a Sky subscriber, I want my money back. The quality was tosh and when there's no men's football to compete with on TV, as a marketing opportunity it sucks as well. Relegate both of them and go to 10.

Aww don’t be needy love. 

Made me smile when Terry tried to explain that a Wakey win was just round the corner.Until it was explained to him they had been well beaten by the next worse side in SL.Apart from Lino Wakey seemed to lack pace in most positions.when they did have half a chance it was quickly closed down.

9 hours ago, muckymunksy said:

So does Burnley in football or Bournemouth but who cares. 

Im sure the empty Huddersfield or Hull grounds looks even worse. 

I agree with this. Have said on another thread, I'm a fairly new convert to rugby league and am a bit puzzled by some people seeming to value empty shiny plastic seats over a terrace full of people.  I know the Jungle is old (and having never been there I don't know a thing about toilets, facilities or whatever else) but against Leeds it was an amazing atmosphere there and on the TV last night looked good full of passionate rugby league people. The sight of an empty Huddersfield ground or even Wigan's ground (or actually any ground that is big but largely empty) is a much bigger turn off for potential audiences than the Jungle's busy terraces.

That's not a dig at Huddersfield but it's just an observation. I am a follower of GAA sports (Gaelic football and hurling) and they sometimes play games in stadiums that are far too big for the occasion. Big games at Croke Park, Thurles and Páirc Ui Chaoimh (all have plenty of terracing) are all glorious occasions when the grounds are full but can be pretty depressing and soulless when nearly empty and the only sound is the players shouting on the pitch.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OnStrike said:

I agree with this. Have said on another thread, I'm a fairly new convert to rugby league and am a bit puzzled by some people seeming to value empty shiny plastic seats over a terrace full of people.  I know the Jungle is old (and having never been there I don't know a thing about toilets, facilities or whatever else) but against Leeds it was an amazing atmosphere there and on the TV last night looked good full of passionate rugby league people. The sight of an empty Huddersfield ground or even Wigan's ground (or actually any ground that is big but largely empty) is a much bigger turn off for potential audiences than the Jungle's busy terraces.

That's not a dig at Huddersfield but it's just an observation. I am a follower of GAA sports (Gaelic football and hurling) and they sometimes play games in stadiums that are far too big for the occasion. Big games at Croke Park, Thurles and Páirc Ui Chaoimh (all have plenty of terracing) are all glorious occasions when the grounds are full but can be pretty depressing and soulless when nearly empty and the only sound is the players shouting on the pitch.

I always think Wheldon Road looks and sounds great on tele.

It's facilities do need improving, but I really hope they can find a way to do that without destroying the atmosphere there.

• Like 2

Put me down as another who thinks Wheldon Road looks fine and atmospheric on telly, as opposed to pre-development Belle Vue which did look like a tip on the telly.

• Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.