TV Deal to conclude end of June

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

It's a lot more than £600pa, you can't get a full deal with Sky for £50pm.

Most customers will be paying £75pm or more, so £900pa.

It’s probably more than that when you add in second boxes,Sky Glass that’s before you get into things likeSky bet and those kind of apps. The way things like Sky work is they hook you with one thing. In our case RL then they sell you as much stuff as possible on top. They’ve learnt people don’t change because it’s too much hassle even though they might get it cheaper somewhere else. 

17 hours ago, bobbruce said:

It’s probably more than that when you add in second boxes,Sky Glass that’s before you get into things likeSky bet and those kind of apps. The way things like Sky work is they hook you with one thing. In our case RL then they sell you as much stuff as possible on top. They’ve learnt people don’t change because it’s too much hassle even though they might get it cheaper somewhere else. 

We pay £33 per month for the entertainment package and full HD sports package. We just go through cancellations at the end of our contract and they always do a deal.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Sky told us 2 years ago what would happen unless we made a strategic change. The consequences of no action would have been devastating, given the media market at present doesn’t offer many other options.

We have since appointed a new partner, and shown Sky the new direction of travel they wanted. Albeit with the usual level of reluctance from the old hold-outs, limiting the power of our change message.

So rather than dropping us in the mire Sky will now extend our current level of deal at best, or at least at a level still strong enough to enable a full time pro sport, but no free-market media business is going to increase their payment for a promise of the future. We now need to deliver it.

Sky will pay based on what they think the game will attract through subscriptions. Licencing won't change the product or make any difference to promotion and relegation for many years.

13 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Sky will pay based on what they think the game will attract through subscriptions. Licencing won't change the product or make any difference to promotion and relegation for many years.

The price is a combination of direct value, and the value of alternative bids (and risk of loss). There are no genuine alternative bids. We need to make the sport attractive to multiple media partners, to create competition. We also need to make the sport more commercially valuable, so we can monetise other non-media opportunities better (the sport currently doesn't have any major sponsors at all). That's mainly about re-positioning and marketing. 

IMG are here to do that over a decade not 6 months. The promotion and relegation question is only a small element - that's designed to give owner's security, so the clubs will be able to invest more money in the re-positioning and marketing needed, rather than to change the product itself. If you asked IMG they'd probably want to make it a closed league straight away, the phasing is just forced on them by a need to keep lots of rugby league stakeholders happy (so even the pace of change is our fault). 

• Like 9

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

I know this is off topic but as some of the contributors to this forum also follow cycling and might not go to the other forumns on this site, I posted a thread here for condolonces to Gino Mäder who died in a downhill crash on the tour de Suisse

On 15/06/2023 at 17:23, Sitona said:

We pay £33 per month for the entertainment package and full HD sports package. We just go through cancellations at the end of our contract and they always do a deal.

Funnily enough I'm going through this now too. My Sky is due to go up by over £30 a month, not a chance I'm paying that. I was then offered a new deal which was £11 a month more by retentions but still cancelled. I will see if I get offered anything better in the next 30 days of my notice period then see.

I've been through this game many times but probably have never been as close to following it through. I watch less and less TV these days and Sky has just become pretty poor value for money, the kids mostly stream and watch Netflix, Disney+ etc. Its only really for the RL that I'm definitely not leaving, I simply don't watch enough other stuff to justify it.

27 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Renewed mine a couple of months ago and after threatening to leave and pleading poverty as a pensioner managed to get full SKY sports + entertainment for £43.If you can get less than that you will have done well.

Ive left

Im not going back unless they have a rugby league coverage that i like

You guys pay a lot to watch RL. I admire your commitment and I feel really fortunate living in a RL country. Here in Australia I pay $25 (£13.40) a month for Kayo Sports that has a large range of sports and a 24 hour rugby league channel covering a few levels of RL including the NRL.

27 minutes ago, Copa said:

You guys pay a lot to watch RL. I admire your commitment and I feel really fortunate living in a RL country. Here in Australia I pay $25 (£13.40) a month for Kayo Sports that has a large range of sports and a 24 hour rugby league channel covering a few levels of RL including the NRL.

It's the distortion of the Premier League market, really. No sports channel can survive without it but having bought the rights, they have to charge to cover those costs.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It's the distortion of the Premier League market, really. No sports channel can survive without it but having bought the rights, they have to charge to cover those costs.

When people strart talking about football i break into a deafening silence 

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There's still something not quite right though. If I lived in US, Canada or Oz, I could watch those countries' top sports on ESPN, Sportsnet or Kayo for less than a premier league fan has to fork out here. Britons do seem to get particularly gouged, which is made even worse if it's not the PL you're subscribing for, like many of us.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EggFace said:

Just read about Sky Soccer hosts axe's and cutback's but couldn't post the link.

Fixed for you

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12204337/Sky-Sports-AXE-half-football-reporting-team-brutal-cost-cutting-move.html

• Thanks 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Is this an indication of how Sky values RL ? T20 Surrey v Middlesex is on three , yes three, channels,  401,404 (when Women's Ashes is finished) and 416, whereas Hull v Saints is on 408 only. Now it's possible that the T20 cricket will get more viewers so on Main Event,  but 2 channels for each event instead of 3 for cricket and 1 for RL would be sensible surely. 

Edited by HawkMan

10 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Is this an indication of how Sky values RL ? T20 Surrey v Middlesex is on three , yes three, channels,  401,404 (when Women's Ashes is finished) and 416, whereas Hull v Saints is on 408 only. Now it's possible that the T20 cricket will get more viewers so on Main Event,  but 2 channels for each event instead of 3 for cricket and 1 for RL would be sensible surely. 

I don't think we can read too much into that. They will have some minimum commitments for Mix. It's doing a different thing to the other channels. 

There have been times where RL has been on Arena, Main Event and Mix/Showcase. 

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't think we can read too much into that. They will have some minimum commitments for Mix. It's doing a different thing to the other channels. 

There have been times where RL has been on Arena, Main Event and Mix/Showcase. 

They normally put women's RL (when they show it) on Mix plus 408. That doesn't necessarily say they value women's RL over men's TBH.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 hours ago, gingerjon said:

They normally put women's RL (when they show it) on Mix plus 408. That doesn't necessarily say they value women's RL over men's TBH.

Same thing tonight,  Somerset v Gloucester on three channels,  Leeds Huddersfield on 408 only, this smacks of a bit of a snub. Someone decided cricket on 404 and 401 , and 416? Oh shove the cricket on that too, nowt else is there? 

15 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Same thing tonight,  Somerset v Gloucester on three channels,  Leeds Huddersfield on 408 only, this smacks of a bit of a snub. Someone decided cricket on 404 and 401 , and 416? Oh shove the cricket on that too, nowt else is there? 

Again, you are ignoring what Sky Sports Mix is. It is their non-subscription Sports channel - they will only put premium sports on there a limited number of times. 

Next Thursday for example - they are putting Wire v Leeds on Arena and Main Event, but not Mix as it is a main live sport.

I expect as part of contracts sports have a certain amount that will be shown on Mix, but not loads.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Again, you are ignoring what Sky Sports Mix is. It is their non-subscription Sports channel - they will only put premium sports on there a limited number of times. 

Next Thursday for example - they are putting Wire v Leeds on Arena and Main Event, but not Mix as it is a main live sport.

I expect as part of contracts sports have a certain amount that will be shown on Mix, but not loads.

Thanks for reply,but I'm not sure I'm following this. Are you saying SL is too premium for Sky Mix and that channel doesn't get more premium than it should, and t20 isn't premium? So why is it on Main Event tonight ? If t20 isn't considered premium then it should be on 404 and 416 and SL, a premium event should be on Main, particularly as we have the Rob Burrows MND awareness stuff tonight.

Wire v Leeds can't be on Main and Mix but T20 can ?

Edited by HawkMan

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Thanks for reply,but I'm not sure I'm following this. Are you saying SL is too premium for Sky Mix and that channel doesn't get more premium than it should, and t20 isn't premium? So why is it on Main Event tonight ? If t20 isn't considered premium then it should be on 404 and 416 and SL, a premium event should be on Main, particularly as we have the Rob Burrows MND awareness stuff tonight.

Wire v Leeds can't be on Main and Mix but T20 can ?

RL has been on mix plenty, but they won't put it on all the time otherwise why subscribe? 

• Like 2

There as to my knowledge (as i dont have the sky sports package) been only 2 Super League games on Sky Mix this season , which is absolutely pathetic .Most other sports , like all the American garbage , and especially T20 cricket are on constantly , last year the 100 cricket or what ever they call it was on every night .. I would hazard a guess that RL is the least covered sport on Sky Mix by far .

16 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

There as to my knowledge (as i dont have the sky sports package) been only 2 Super League games on Sky Mix this season , which is absolutely pathetic .Most other sports , like all the American garbage , and especially T20 cricket are on constantly , last year the 100 cricket or what ever they call it was on every night .. I would hazard a guess that RL is the least covered sport on Sky Mix by far .

Getting on SS Mix shouldn't be an aspiration of RL really.