What is the greatest ground in RL history?

1 hour ago, Pete Grady said:

Reminds me of 'This Sporting Life' a wonderful 'kitchen sink' film with a darkly menacing Richard Harris set at Belle Vue in the early 60's.  Based on the book by David Storey, Rachel Robert's performance is moody, sexy and the ground itself is atmospheric and just as big a dump as it is today.

The entire film is available on YouTube. 

• Like 2

As someone who has a painting of Central Park in his office, I would of course gravitate there... but remembering back to my teens, I thought Knowsley Road was a fantastic ground and Wilderspool was equally memorable - just terrifying!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

As a relatively old timer I have fond memories of plenty of the old grounds that are no more like Thrum Hall,  Central Park, Fartown, Knowsley Rd,  McLaren Field Watersheddings etc.  They all oozed atmosphere but maybe I've got rose tinted glasses on as they were places I went to in my formative RL years?

Odsal is another that holds great memories.  It's in a sad state now with its undersized pitch and terracing and seats covered in muck from the track.  

I think we need to give the modern stadia a chance to make their own history.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’m extremely disappointed to find that Alt Park doesn’t even have a Wikipedia page. I once went to watch Knowsley United v South Liverpool there, what a dump. 

Alt Park had been smartened up considerably by the time Knowsley United moved in!

Fartown, for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spidey said:

Best ground I’ve watched a rugby league game is Suncorp, Brisbane. Right shape good view everywhere 👍🏼

Always found it pretty cool that watching games at ANZ/QE2 stadium in Brisbane could involve a train trip to Runcorn 🙂

Lots of good suggestions above. I might add Carlaw Park in Auckland to the list, and perhaps Wingham Park in Greymouth.

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

For me it's Watersheddings. A typical old fashioned rugby ground. A ground that was in use before the great split.  But here's another question. Which grounds are still in use that predate the split? 

Headingley 1890. Lawkholme Lane Keighley was first used in 1885. Mount Pleasant Batley 1880. Belle Vue Wakefield in 1879.

Widnes have played on lowerhouse lane since 1884/85, but I think the current ground alignment came into use a couple of weeks into the first Northern Union season, and I think previously the pitch was at right angles to the current alignment.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

Belmore for me. Was lucky to see a game there last year. Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney and Gold Coast have fantastic brand new rectangle stadiums. But there’s something about standing on the hill at Belmore. 

It's a funny ground - one massive grandstand, and the trains going past all the time.

• Like 1

As someone who started going to away games in the mid-2000s and so missed a lot of the really old grounds, I always liked Odsal myself - a big bowl in the ground, something unlike a lot of others. There was also something about Knowsley Road and even the Willows I liked - those old-style terraced grounds where you could make quite a bit of noise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, overtheborder said:

As someone who started going to away games in the mid-2000s and so missed a lot of the really old grounds, I always liked Odsal myself - a big bowl in the ground, something unlike a lot of others. There was also something about Knowsley Road and even the Willows I liked - those old-style terraced grounds where you could make quite a bit of noise.

I liked the Willows especially the cantilever stand, I'd never seen one before first time i went to watch Fev in the 70's.

9 hours ago, JonM said:

It's a funny ground - one massive grandstand, and the trains going past all the time.

Yeah it’s definitely not pretty, but it has a charm about it.

The old doorless trains would have people hanging out trying to catch the ball from goal kick attempts. 
The train drivers would also toot their horn when the opposition were lining up for a shot at goal. Suburban rugby league at its greatest. 

The Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) Moore Park, It was where most Sydney Rugby League Grand Finals were held up until 1988 when they moved next door to The Sydney Football Stadium (SFS), then in 1999 to Stadium Australia at Homebush.

Edited by R L Winger

St-George-Dragons-2024.jpg

7 hours ago, R L Winger said:

The Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) Moore Park, It was where most Sydney Rugby League Grand Finals were held up until 1988 when they moved next door to The Sydney Football Stadium (SFS), then in 1999 to Stadium Australia at Homebush.

Always remember when the SFS opened the then editor of the now closed 'Rugby League Week', Norm Tasker, commenting on how in the rain it resembled real life - 10% in the warm and dry and everyone else being ****ed on!

11 hours ago, dealwithit said:

Suburban rugby league at its greatest. 

I think that's spot on. I seem to recall Geoffrey Moorhouse waxing lyrical about the various suburban grounds in Sydney in "At the George".