The 2024 Kit Thread

29 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Football don’t change all their shirts every season. Normally every 2 years from what I’ve seen. 

They definitely do mate - as I said previously, only Brentford are bucking that trend at the moment. 

An article about it from back at the time which muses whether 2 year kits will return to being the norm. As yet, to my knowledge, no other club has adopted the idea https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-59477716

Noteworthy to say NRL have the same design for 2 seasons, even if kit manufacturer or sponsors change. 

9 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

They definitely do mate - as I said previously, only Brentford are bucking that trend at the moment. 

An article about it from back at the time which muses whether 2 year kits will return to being the norm. As yet, to my knowledge, no other club has adopted the idea https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-59477716

Noteworthy to say NRL have the same design for 2 seasons, even if kit manufacturer or sponsors change. 

I'm out of date with football then - its not always been the case

3 hours ago, M j M said:

Any news on why Wigan have failed to retain yet another major sponsor?

"Location: Desperation Island"

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/club/sponsors

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

"Location: Desperation Island"

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/club/sponsors

I don't get the point. Wigan have got through ten lead sponsors in 15 years. That's unprecedented for any of the major SL clubs, probably for any major UK sports team.

Finding and getting sponsors to come on board is by far the hardest bit. I just don't understand why they keep being lost after really short term deals. 

3 hours ago, M j M said:

I don't get the point. Wigan have got through ten lead sponsors in 15 years. That's unprecedented for any of the major SL clubs, probably for any major UK sports team.

Finding and getting sponsors to come on board is by far the hardest bit. I just don't understand why they keep being lost after really short term deals. 

If each new one is paying more I dont see an issue 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, M j M said:

Well apart from the desirability of forming long-term corporate relationships I strongly suspect they aren't paying more.

A previous client of mine had a stint as Wigan's main shirt sponsor (think of a numbers game played in a Saudi Arabian city and you're on the right lines). They were offered the second year for absolute buttons when they initially declined to renew. 

Edited by whatmichaelsays
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

A previous client of mine had a stint as Wigan's main shirt sponsor (think of a numbers game played in a Saudi Arabian city and you're on the right lines). They were offered the second year for absolute buttons when they initially declined to renew. 

Thanks, that would fit the picture. Did they say why they didn't want to renew?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Thanks, that would fit the picture. Did they say why they didn't want to renew?

Main reason was they felt they weren't getting the value they hoped for / the value they got from other channels for the price. The lower price in year two made it more palatable, but not to commit long term. 

They also felt that the relationship was very transactional - Wigan were happy to take the cheque, but there wasn't a lot done on their part to try and further the relationship until renewal time. This is one area where, in my experience, the commercial team at Leeds are exceptional - and it is probably why sponsors like Leeds Building Society, Arla, Berry's, Global, Tetley's etc have stuck around fin one capacity or another or so long. 

15 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Jeddah Suddoku?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

F_nEkm8WgAAqSFY?format=jpg&name=medium

I like that!

More importantly, Fibrus have become the club’s main sponsor following on from acquiring the naming rights to Derwent Park last season. Biggest deal in the club’s history so I’m told and includes separate segregated funding for the fledgling women’s team.

• Like 5

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

2 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

F_nEkm8WgAAqSFY?format=jpg&name=medium

I like that!

Not bad. Its amazing what difference it makes when a sponsor just integrates nicely with the wider design rather than having some garish colour scheme that can't change.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2