Trouble at t'mill?

17 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Your response pointed out that his partner having a kid might affect their decisions 

I pointed out that they knew it was coming as she was pregnant 

My question is why did Nene knowing the above sign a 4 year deal a few weeks ago ? 

My point is that Nene should not have signed the deal and that it is his fault for signing it knowing that his wife didn't want leave Australia .....and that he might not come back 

Unless you think Leeds should have made the decision on his behalf? 

You know people can change their mind, right? IT could very easily be they were ready to bring their child up in the UK, then when the reality hit they realised it was not what they wanted to do. There could be a hundred reasons behind this. 

• Like 4

Genuine question for the Leeds fans here - how good do you think the club has been in recent years when playing "stick or twist" with the hundreds of talented teenagers that have come through the academy ?

Quite a lot seem to be retained on a professional contract whilst being nowhere near the 1st team - and it does appear there is a definite pecking order amongst the youngsters about who are the "anointed ones". 

No club will get it right all the time (especially with young middle forwards) - are Leeds fans happy with the development of their home-grown talent in recent years ?

31 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Which SL club has a better stadium than Headingly? 

Which SL location is a better place to live than Leeds?

Just spot checked average attendance over last 15 years randomly.....Leeds topped every year. They also have double everyone else's social media followers .....both a very good indication they have the biggest fan base 

I've visited every SL club numerous times and follow the 'brand' of them all in the news. From personal experience the Rhinos 'brand' is the most polished by far for me 

It's a shame their performances are rubbish because they are penny pinching on the team 

There are stadiums better or as good as Headingley. Headingley is a good Rugby stadium but it isn't a better stadium than the likes of Hull FC's or Wigan.

I lived in Leeds for 4 years so know it well and loved living there. There are some right rough areas, some nice ones. It is pretty much the same as anywhere in that respect. Leeds is also expensive compared to many other places. Again many Rugby players dont live in the towns and cities they play for. Its a daft point to argue over. The likes of Bevan French and Jai Field live in Manchester for example. Loads of Wigan players live in nice houses on the outskirts and places like Standish. This is what tends to happen.

Oh selectively spot check just when Leeds have been successful. I only checked a couple of those years but Wigan certainly had a higher average in 2011 and 2012 so certainly not the last 15 years. Plenty of years are also very close.

From personal experience as a Leeds fan your brand is better. Okay that's convincing.

Again what you claim is all your very subjective opinion as a Leeds fan and I really can't be bothered with a circular argument that goes no where. I like Leeds and have a lot of fond memories of both living and watching them on a regular basis. They are a great club. They just don't have all the advantages you claim when it comes to keeping and attracting players.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dkw said:

You know people can change their mind, right? IT could very easily be they were ready to bring their child up in the UK, then when the reality hit they realised it was not what they wanted to do. There could be a hundred reasons behind this. 

The best sentance in that is your last one, to much speculating on what the reason(s) for his continued absence is by some on this topic just wait till it is announced officially or he just returns one or t'other.

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I disagree about the quality in the academies, this has improved in the last couple of years and I believe this is what the club want to build on, the whole point of Rohan Smith being brought in was his reputation for working with younger players, I think the club realise they have stuffed up in a lot of ways since 2017 (you could argue since 2015) and are trying to rectify this but it will take a couple of years.

Leeds Academy was a fair way adrift in league points and missed out on the top 4 play-off's this year (Saints finished top and play Hull in the 1st SF and Wigan finished 2nd and play Wire), and at Reserve level the top 2 were Saints & Wigan who will contest their GF.

If you look at the Academy roses matches in recent years the Lancs teams have been dominated by Saints & Wigan players and Yorkshire haven't managed a single win in years against them.

Leeds & Smith may be starting to turn things around a bit now but their 1st team is paying the price for failings at that level in previous years.

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

5 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Leeds Academy was a fair way adrift in league points and missed out on the top 4 play-off's this year (Saints finished top and play Hull in the 1st SF and Wigan finished 2nd and play Wire), and at Reserve level the top 2 were Saints & Wigan who will contest their GF.

If you look at the Academy roses matches in recent years the Lancs teams have been dominated by Saints & Wigan players and Yorkshire haven't managed a single win in years against them.

Leeds & Smith may be starting to turn things around a bit now but their 1st team is paying the price for failings at that level in previous years.

I totally agree with your last point,

47 minutes ago, dkw said:

I guess they can change their minds 

However I would have said beys to wait until after the birth to sign a 4 year deal anyway 

38 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Yorkshire haven't managed a single win in years against them.

Well, not since 2021 but I accept that was a very long time ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Second thread I've seen you put a lot of heavy lifting against a couple of academy-level games, as proof of a demise in Leeds/Yorkshire. Amazing how the game must have recovered in NSW after Queensland drubbed them for 10 years+ in origin.......or it's almost like a result isn't that indicative of perceived wider issues.

• Like 3

On 05/09/2023 at 10:54, Tommygilf said:

Matt Frawley signed too, a man who has played fewer than 25 1st grade games in 4 seasons at Canberra.

Bit of a downgrade from targetting Luke Brooks...

Frawley got and still gets slated by Huddersfield fans but he made more of an impression that Sezer did and put more effort in too.

I think he could be a decent player but he didn't really settle in West Yorkshire and it seemed to affect his confidence.

58 minutes ago, meast said:

Frawley got and still gets slated by Huddersfield fans but he made more of an impression that Sezer did and put more effort in too.

I think he could be a decent player but he didn't really settle in West Yorkshire and it seemed to affect his confidence.

Really? I'm pretty sure Sezer was getting talked up as a MOS contender in his first year at Huddersfield.

Frawley has always been a very ordinary player, I've not seen one game where he has stood out. He has no distinctive attributes for a half (not quick or deceptive, average kicking game etc)

Edited by DoubleD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Any Academy players of note coming through at Leeds.

Other than Jack Sinfield, Max Simpson and Jack Smith (both centres) are both highly rated. There are a few others too such as Alfie Edgell who has made the first team squad this year.

For all the criticism of Leeds Academy, they won the competition last year

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Other than Jack Sinfield, Max Simpson and Jack Smith (both centres) are both highly rated. There are a few others too such as Alfie Edgell who has made the first team squad this year.

For all the criticism of Leeds Academy, they won the competition last year

Honest question does that mean the standard of the Academy is not that good af the moment and Leeds are the best of a bad bunch  or are Leeds a really good team?

I have not been following the academies for the simple reason that my team were denied one, but I believe there are great strides and even ultimatums being delivered for them to have a Grade 1 Academy next season.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Honest question does that mean the standard of the Academy is not that good af the moment and Leeds are the best of a bad bunch  or are Leeds a really good team?

I have not been following the academies for the simple reason that my team were denied one, but I believe there are great strides and even ultimatums being delivered for them to have a Grade 1 Academy next season.

I'm also not an avid watcher so others might provide a more informed comment.

However, it's hard to judge because of the change in age groups to u18, and players development have undoubtedly been stunted by the ludicrous authoritarian measures during covid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, M j M said:

I think there's a bit of BS going on here. There's a difference between Hetherington striking a hard bargain (which is legendary across the game) and Leeds not spending. The club budgets full cap and uses all marquee spots. The aim of Hetherington being tight is supposed to drive more out of the cap - not save on total spending.

Now it may be his frugality isn't working when trying to sign players any more. But Leeds will continue to have funds available and it's just not true that the club is trying to save money on the playing squad.

I'm pretty sure we will see that this includes a willingness to to spend big on transfer fees, something which has been a constant through the Caddick/Hetherington era.

Yes I agree definitely some BS going on. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I've been told off for saying this 

Even though blatantly it must be true 

How the hell a club like Leeds with the big crowds, corporate income and that money generating stadium can be short is beyond me though 

Too many people on the payroll ?(ex players?)

Yeah, I’m not buying Leeds are spending the same as Catalans, Wigan, Saints and Warrington, maybe even Leigh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Genuine question for the Leeds fans here - how good do you think the club has been in recent years when playing "stick or twist" with the hundreds of talented teenagers that have come through the academy ?

Quite a lot seem to be retained on a professional contract whilst being nowhere near the 1st team - and it does appear there is a definite pecking order amongst the youngsters about who are the "anointed ones". 

No club will get it right all the time (especially with young middle forwards) - are Leeds fans happy with the development of their home-grown talent in recent years ?

No straight no I've lost all confidence in the youth system even more so the last 12 months I can't think of a period when more potential (good prospects) have been shipped on or decided they have a better chance somewhere else the in ability to further develop said players is disappointing to say the least. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

No straight no I've lost all confidence in the youth system even more so the last 12 months I can't think of a period when more potential (good prospects) have been shipped on or decided they have a better chance somewhere else the in ability to further develop said players is disappointing to say the least. 

Which young players from our youth system in the last 12 months are you talking about?. You make it sound like there’s been a mass exodus.

Young players have always moved on from clubs with good academy systems.

• Like 1

It's always much easier bringing young players through into a solid, consistent first team. Leeds have been up and down for a number of years and have changed coaches a few times in recent years. It's never easy for youngsters to make it in those circumstances. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Damien said:

It's always much easier bringing young players through into a solid, consistent first team. Leeds have been up and down for a number of years and have changed coaches a few times in recent years. It's never easy for youngsters to make it in those circumstances. 

This is part of the problem, its not just that the "golden generation" have gone, its that the younger players in that haven't gone on to continue with the club. Watkins, Hall, Hardaker, Ward, Sutcliffe etc haven't taken on that leadership mantle, its an intellectual gap in the Leeds squad.

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

This is part of the problem, its not just that the "golden generation" have gone, its that the younger players in that haven't gone on to continue with the club. Watkins, Hall, Hardaker, Ward, Sutcliffe etc haven't taken on that leadership mantle, its an intellectual gap in the Leeds squad.

I don’t particularly disagree with the sentiment but not sure Ward not continuing is in the same bracket as the others.

Stevie having to retire just when he became captain was a tragedy he could have been a fabulous player and captain 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

I don’t particularly disagree with the sentiment but not sure Ward not continuing is in the same bracket as the others.

Stevie having to retire just when he became captain was a tragedy he could have been a fabulous player and captain 

Oh yeah, I agree its all for different reasons and obviously with Stevie's case it is out of the clubs control, but it just feels like we have skipped a generation to Cam Smith and Oledski etc if you see what I mean.