Iconic RL Commentary quotes/catchphrases......

Griff Rhys Jones did most of Eddie Waring's greatest hits as the commentator in 1998's Up'n'Under.

This includes "don't rub 'em lad - just count 'em".

• Haha 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I can’t speyk

• Like 4

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

"Everybody's saying 'Go, go, go! And he goes!'"

Every Rugby League fan should know this like soccer fans know Wolstenholme, but we simply don't celebrate our glorious history.

Ray French's best was the Hanley "he's still going" one.

These guys deservedly got criticism but they could on occasion summon up a memorable phrase in a memorable moment. Our current Sky commentators are more solid plodders but I don't think they can reach memorable heights.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, M j M said:

Of course every Featherstone fan knows that Hanley try commentary was a tribute to an even better one that earned a similar commentary in the 1973 Challenge Cup Final between the same two teams...
"Smith's still running...Smith's still going in and out...oh, what a try!"

Part of the Grandstand opening sequence for what seemed like about the next ten years, that try.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Every Rugby League fan should know this like soccer fans know Wolstenholme, but we simply don't celebrate our glorious history.

These guys deservedly got criticism but they could on occasion summon up a memorable phrase in a memorable moment. Our current Sky commentators are more solid plodders but I don't think they can reach memorable heights.

Was just going to use the Sullivan one, beat me to it.

2 hours ago, M j M said:

Sadly, that does look to be true. Can any of us remember what Bill Arthur said, for example, when Jack Welsby scored the winning try at Hull in the 2020 Grand Final.

On the other hand, "Lachlan Lam is a Leigh legend! Wow!" was Dave Woods' contribution when Lam kicked the winning points in this year's Challenge Cup Final.

I would guess that would be memorable for Leigh fans and maybe for the wider audience. It certainly stuck in my memory.

If I had negotiated a new Sky contract, I would have made my views very strongly known about the need to find a commentator who could reflect Rugby League's historic moments in his commentary.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Sadly, that does look to be true. Can any of us remember what Bill Arthur said, for example, when Jack Welsby scored the winning try at Hull in the 2020 Grand Final.

On the other hand, "Lachlan Lam is a Leigh legend! Wow!" was Dave Woods' contribution when Lam kicked the winning points in this year's Challenge Cup Final.

I would guess that would be memorable for Leigh fans and maybe for the wider audience. It certainly stuck in my memory.

If I had negotiated a new Sky contract, I would have made my views very strongly known about the need to find a commentator who could reflect Rugby League's historic moments in his commentary.

Makinson oooohhh he’s hit the post the chase is on ooohhh Welsby. Something like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Other sports replay their classic moments more so that even misjudged or not obviously great lines can get ingrained. We don’t really do that with rugby league aside from a tiny handful.

What we can be thankful we’ve avoided is the “commentating for the 30 second promo” that is basically every Sky T20/Hundred commentary these days.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, daz39 said:

The most obvious one -"He's missed it, he's missed it...he's on the ground, everyone's got their head in their hands...... and he's in tears, he's in tears, he's a poor lad"

I was nine years old when I watched that, and can still remember it to this day. Poor lad indeed.

5 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I think, to be fair to Bill, no one could have possibly guessed what was going to happen in that Jack Welsby try so he had no time to formulate something snappy. 

Dave on the other hand had time to make up the beautifully inspiring "(Insert Name Here) is a Leigh/Hull KR legend! Wow!", given that the game was in GP and a single moment was going to win the game immediately.