Sat 28th Oct: International: England v Tonga KO 14:30 @ Huddersfield (BBC)

Who will win?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/10/23 at 14:00

1 minute ago, Johnny Ringo said:

To lose it would be catastrophic, Tonga are very poor today, sluggish and predictable. 

Not sure I agree with any of that. Tonga are a very good side, who are being out played. That’s how our game works. A good side gets to determine how the opposition plays. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I completely agree that the SL players have shown themselves to be more intelligent footballers and more adaptable in this series so far. We downplay how many superb players we produce and watch every week. 

They have SL ruck interpretations and no foot to PTBs, so I'm not too sure about the need for adaptability.

Tonga have been very poor though.

A good first half from England, solid in what has felt a game that has lacked the intensity I’d expected. Tonga seem disjointed (but perhaps caused by Eng being good)

Hill has been great, I did question why he was in the squad, but he’s making good yards on every carry. Radley also solid and Bateman been hard working. Overall good performance from the pack.

Shame about the crowd, looks poor on TV. I remember being in a sellout at Hudds for Eng v Ire in 2013 WC, but that seems to be the exception. Daft choice for a ground when there’s a game at Headingley next week.

• Like 1

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

I have seen these Tongan's play enough times to know they are very good.

But England have been better for a game and a half of a 3 game series.  I'm happy to take the positive position.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, dkw said:

Tonga have made sure he's had no space, but it's meant we have space out wide as they're compressing in around our half's.

Without doubt my comment was aimed more at the fact Wane won’t have to down play his performance. 

• Like 1

Just now, bratman said:

I don't think the knock ons and penalties helped either

And ball strips, and laying on, holding the ball etc. Blaming this on Tongan players not being able to get their heads round the tackle is incredibly disingenuous, but some people just can't manage to praise SL players for some reason.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Not sure I agree with any of that. Tonga are a very good side, who are being out played. That’s how our game works. A good side gets to determine how the opposition plays. 

I never said they weren't being out played, of course they are being out played, the scoreboard tells you that. I said Tonga are sluggish ( slow, void of idea)  and predictable, are you saying they aren't? 

Edited by Johnny Ringo

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It may change in the second half, but having a direct comparison with the game played this morning I doubt that any of these teams will trouble the world order of merit.

I disagree, and time will tell.

How have New Zealand got on against Tonga in the last few years? How did England get on the last time we played a series against them? There is nothing to suggest that any of the 4 teams are miles ahead of any of the others. 

The 2 games have certain similarities - our spine and our structure are better than the Kiwis, who relied on the same attributes Tonga are relying on: power and pace. 

• Like 1