New drama

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

That would be tragic for the sport, we can’t afford to lose any more clubs. 

I think Salford being lost from RL would be awful .....lost from SL iI'm not so sure ....they fit the championship well in my opinion....at least while they settle thier finances and a proper structured club beyond the first team

• Like 1

12 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

So a temporary blip. All resolved in good time early next Spring.

So that would be a cast iron 100% guarantee that it would be resolved by say mid April?

Sorry Haggis but RFL has a track record of accepting clubs promises in the past, this is a big new shiney era we are entering and the slate needs wiping clean to go forward.

Salford need to have this sorted well before the next season starts if the worst does happen and the ground is no longer available to Salford they will need to find alternative accommodation that is acceptable or give the powers that be time to make other arrangements.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Nope totally unprepared as Leigh were when they filled Toronto's place, BUT you will not have to fight to stave off relegation, so if offered may as well take it and get better attendances than will come in the Championship.

Yeah a lot different this time, there would be a host of clubs willing to get their mits on that funding and there is really only Toulouse from the Championship who are borderline not knowing where they stand. What a mess it would be if both those 2 were in a situation and got offered the chance but for whatever reason turned it down. Can't very well promote a team knowing you will have to relegate them the following season before a ball has even been kicked.

Going back though it just highlights that despite all this fancy new grading stuff you can have a club that is nearly classed as elite been in a total mess under the radar.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think Salford being lost from RL would be awful .....lost from SL iI'm not so sure ....they fit the championship well in my opinion....at least while they settle thier finances and a proper structured club beyond the first team

It’s a death knoll for so many clubs that though, look at Widnes and Bradford, lost from the top tier and withering on the vine, quite possibly forever. 

5 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Going back though it just highlights that despite all this fancy new grading stuff you can have a club that is nearly classed as elite been in a total mess under the radar.

This is why I have always maintained what IMG are doing is just to quick they have come up with a system and presented it to the RFL who should have at least had some brains amongst it's high earners to say "What if" but instead they just rubber stamp it and say carry on regardless, it is little wonder those at the RFL are not employed in any business where they are accountable.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yeah a lot different this time, there would be a host of clubs willing to get their mits on that funding and there is really only Toulouse from the Championship who are borderline not knowing where they stand. What a mess it would be if both those 2 were in a situation and got offered the chance but for whatever reason turned it down. Can't very well promote a team knowing you will have to relegate them the following season before a ball has even been kicked.

I presume you are being sarcastic in the first statement in bold? 

Doesn't look like there are sufficient or possibly any checks in place by the RFL/IMG.

• Like 1

So Salford have presumably received at least a couple of not insignificant transfer fees in the last few months and funds from the public appeal, again not insignificant, but now need an advance on their central funding?

Hope they come through, but it seems an absolute mess. Not convinced that the stadium, even if they get a deal through will solve all their problems. How much money will they really make from selling burgers 13 times a season? How will they make up the advancement on their central funding? I've been there as a fan and never ends well. 

I like Salford, but for me I just don't see them as an SL club. This isn't a blip, it's been going on all year. 

Under the first team they seem to have little, no academy, reserves etc they have nothing to fall back on. 

24 minutes ago, LeeF said:

So Salford have presumably received at least a couple of not insignificant transfer fees in the last few months and funds from the public appeal, again not insignificant, but now need an advance on their central funding?

Such a shame in very recent times Salford have been up there playing some very attractive football, been Grand Finalists and CC finalists and with the 'whip round" receiving well into the 300K's shows that there is still some affinity for them in the locality, but there in lies the problem there is simply not enough of them and with the recent success one must question will there ever be and minus the benefactor that is the difference of keeping their heads above the water line or sinking.

Reading between the lines if anything positive is going to improve the situation it is not going to happen till mid spring at least 4 months away and probably up to about round 8 or so into the new season.

Basically the RFL is inbetween a rock and a hard place, do they sorry Salford or take the decision that they will grant them the goodwill and forward their funding in the hope that it will all come good in the spring?

Edited by Harry Stottle

38 minutes ago, LeeF said:

They’re proper in the 💩 

39 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Such a shame in very recent times Salford have been up there playing some very attractive football, been Grand Finalists and CC finalists and with the 'whip round" receiving well into the 300K's shows that there is still some affinity for them in the locality, but there in lies the problem there is simply not enough of them and with the recent success one must question will there ever be and minus the benefactor that is the difference of keeping their heads above the water line or sinking.

Reading between the lines if anything positive is going to improve the situation it is not going to happen till mid spring at least 4 months away and probably up to about round 8 or so into the new season.

Basically the RFL is inbetween a rock and a hard place, do they sorry Salford or take the decision that they will grant them the goodwill and forward their funding in the hope that it will all come good in the spring?

I think we're all getting ahead of ourselves a bit on what the exact situation is at Salford, and assuming we're reaching some sort of crisis. It might not be.

But (getting ahead of myself a bit 😁) ...IF it is serious, then the only decision the RFL has to make is what will ensure 12 clubs complete a full season in Superleague in 2024. 

If stabilising Salford is the best bet for that, then they should. If replacing them now with another team gives the best chance of a full season then so be it.

18 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I personally don't think they'll start the season and Wakey will be in SL this year 

18 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

I don't think many at Wakefield actually want that.  

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Nope totally unprepared as Leigh were when they filled Toronto's place, BUT you will not have to fight to stave off relegation, so if offered may as well take it and get better attendances than will come in the Championship.

We don't want the certainty of another season of struggles at the foot of SL.  Maybe a season of struggles is still a possibility in the Championship?  Give me the possibility rather than the certainty. 

5 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Would not be surprised to see Toulouse taking Salfords place if this is  not sorted.

Wakefield are not ready and in a funny way they probably are happy for a season in the championship.

Although I don't agree that Toulouse are any more "ready" than Trinity, I hope you are correct.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

7 hours ago, Segovia Carpet said:

Not been on here for a few weeks yet straight away the Salford hating dboy is at it again.  Bedford Bronco another hater is obviously on holiday.

The difference between Salford and the other 11 is that they don`t have a sugar daddy to see them through the Winter.

Personally feel that the Ground issue is key currently and maybe the Club`s stance here is to push the Council to provide a temporary lease of sorts so that monies can be earned for the club (Commercial, Sponsorship Match Day etc etc).

May be wrong but I think Salford will be at Headingley to PLAY Leeds in February.

1, Stop spending money you don't have on players then.

2, "Currently"??? Since you have been at Barton, you have NEVER paid full rent. It's not a problem that's crept up on you.

3, If you'd paid your rent all these years, maybe the council wouldn't have an issue with helping extending your lease?

1 hour ago, dboy said:

1, Stop spending money you don't have on players then.

2, "Currently"??? Since you have been at Barton, you have NEVER paid full rent. It's not a problem that's crept up on you.

3, If you'd paid your rent all these years, maybe the council wouldn't have an issue with helping extending your lease?

Agreed.....pay rent 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

So that would be a cast iron 100% guarantee that it would be resolved by say mid April?

Sorry Haggis but RFL has a track record of accepting clubs promises in the past, this is a big new shine era we are entering and the slate needs wiping clean to go forward.

Salford need to have this sorted well before the next season starts if the worst does happen and the ground is no longer available to Salford they will need to find alternative accommodation that is acceptable or give the powers that be time to make other arrangements.

Well I can not offer a cast iron declaration given this is politics, in an era of the exceptional and sudden.  COVID, Ukraine War, Brexit - in recent years and its capacity to alter or postpone the best laid plans.

But be re-assured that only truly exceptional circumstances will cause SRD not to be playing at the Salford Stadium next year.

Whilst I am less than pleased "Special Measures" have been activated, I am re-assured it seems that people are talking and are devising schemes to get through this situation.

The club is not going burst. How silly. It will be a struggle for Solly until the club's revenue streams are stablized, if not the RFL as well.

If anything, then it might be a learned lesson, to always have a Plan B and not to wholly trust what the RFL suits tell you. And not to expect instant action from bureaucrats and politicians. It works on its own clock. Oh and that buy in a better media team, lads. 

Anyway those fixtures. What a bollix up. Nevertheless looking forward to the Big Easter clash. 

Always forward.

57 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Punching above thier weight on the field for ages by not paying their bills off it .......without even attracting decent crowds.......I can honestly say I hope they survive but not in SL

Naive comments again from the Boo Boy Twins `dboy & Bedford Broncos.  Stuck records the two of them.

` Stop spending money you don't have on players then.`

We received £300k from Player sales - Would guess not all up front and probably structured and I am not aware of any transfer fee payments for players inward.   Quite good business in my book.

I reiterate the basic fact that we do not have a sugar daddy and our losses are `better` than any other SL club.

The issue is the Ground - solely I understand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Segovia Carpet said:

Naive comments again from the Boo Boy Twins `dboy & Bedford Broncos.  Stuck records the two of them.

We received £300k from Player sales - Would guess not all up front and probably structured and I am not aware of any transfer fee payments for players inward.   Quite good business in my book.

I reiterate the basic fact that we do not have a sugar daddy and our losses are `better` than any other SL club.

I think the main issue is quite obviously the ground, but you seem to be downplaying that issue as well.

Salford have never been able to pay their full rent, and that is actually quite embarrassing. While they were doing this, they spent quite a lot of money on players instead of paying their rent. 

The ground is a huge issue that is totally of Salford's making. 300k in player sales doesn't seem to be helping much.

• Like 2

Just now, Click said:

I think the main issue is quite obviously the ground, but you seem to be downplaying that issue as well.

Salford have never been able to pay their full rent, and that is actually quite embarrassing. While they were doing this, they spent quite a lot of money on players instead of paying their rent. 

The ground is a huge issue that is totally of Salford's making. 300k in player sales doesn't seem to be helping much.

Quite, the chair has literally said not solving this would mean liquidating the club.

Its alright having a few hundred grand coming in from a few player sales...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Segovia Carpet said:

Mate I understand your passion for your club but the fact is you spent money on wages for the first team that should have been used to pay rent 

End of

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Mate I understand your passion for your club but the fact is you spent money on wages for the first team that should have been used to pay rent 

End of

You have to look at the new regime in place.

They have steadied the ship and now are backed by a huge community input.

The club are negotiating a new lease where they take income from Car Parks, Commercial Sales & Pre & Post matchday income which in the past went to Salford Council.

All they want is a fair deal and these Special Measures will surely put the Council under pressure to negotiate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Segovia Carpet said:

The club are negotiating a new lease where they take income from Car Parks, Commercial Sales & Pre & Post matchday income which in the past went to Salford Council.

All they want is a fair deal and these Special Measures will surely put the Council under pressure to negotiate.

The problem is that the council seem to be getting less and less interested in effectively subsidising a professional RL team in their city. 

The thing with applying pressure is that usually it comes from a position of strength, and after the amount of money the council has probably lost in regards to SRD, the pressure is very much building from the opposite side as well.

17 minutes ago, Segovia Carpet said:

In what way has the ship been steadied?

The "new regime" have been there for some considerable time and the club still spends more than it earns.

The community input was a one-off fan-fleecing - or are they going to ask the fans to have another whip-round.

The Special Measures doesn't put the council under pressure, it puts the club under pressure. If it's done to pressure the council, it's a very risky tactic.