Magic Weekend

6 minutes ago, redjonn said:

nope but I don't expect players to disincentive people to attend.  Most marketing organisations would be looking for key people to help sell, including in a professional sport the players.

Normally players help to sell the sport, even in self interest of being a keeping it a professional sport.

Yeah its a weird one isn't it

11 minutes ago, redjonn said:

nope but I don't expect players to disincentive people to attend.  Most marketing organisations would be looking for key people to help sell, including in a professional sport the players.

Normally players help to sell the sport, even in self interest of being a keeping it a professional sport.

Or maybe the players are just as exasperated as the rest of us with how the game is run and the decisions that are made and are speaking out the only way they can to try and improve things. 

• Like 1

I'd rather a player say what he thinks that stick with a corporate line. Or, worse still, say something completely contrary to what he thinks. People are bright enough to know when someone is pushing an event because they are told to as opposed to having a genuine enthusiasm for it.

The sport won't improve if stakeholders, including players, aren't willing to challenge bad ideas. An obvious example being Rhodri Jones' assertion earlier that Elland Road is one of the premier stadiums in the north of England.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Damien said:

On another thread you spent post after post telling me what a dump Elland Road was for an England international but now you don't mind it for 6 games over 2 days. How strange.

Yes ER is a dump ....haven't changed my mind on that....but I like Leeds for a weekend so I'll live with it.....and more importantly I'll start going again

Also just relieved it's not Newcastle with it's too far away location and ridiculous accomodation prices 

I moved to Leeds 5 months ago, from Warrington. 

I can say without doubt, even though Im an absolute RL fan, and despite the fact Elland Road is a 10 min drive. I won't be going.

Magic weekend (Under Nigel Wood's remit) was a tool for expansion into new Cities, as a festival of RL. At least as I understood it.

What is Magic's purpose now? Is it a huddle for the m62 corridor fans of RL to enjoy a round of fixtures, with no ambition? This would suggest so. Also, for all those existing RL fans, im sure most have been to Leeds before. No new excitement as a venue. 

Magic Weekend sadly, in Cardiff, and Newcastle, had no further follow up into community clubs or semi pro clubs or investment from the RFL and was just a showpiece event. Strategy like that, no wonder where its at.

Magic Weekend is dead if this is it. 

My only conclusion for Magic Weekend, if its not going to be the 'spread the game' celebration it was meant to be is, for it to be the Super League (I even hate that brand) opener to the season. If thats what it has to be in the confines of the M62 - Make it the season opener.

Im sure im likely re-iterating some people when I say, IMG isn't enough. The RFL needs a new VISIONARY leader to take the game forwards. Richard Lewis was the last external leader, and whatever you think of him, he took the game in a new direction.

Edited by The British Lion
  • Like 7

I've been reading about fans opinions about Magic since it started, isn't it weird how there are so many different reasons that individuals are convinced are the 1 reason magic exists (and that it is failing to meet that one requirement and therefore should be scrapped). 

I'd suggest it has multiple reasons to exist, but some (not all) of those are negated by the choice of venue for 2024.

Edited by Hopie
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Well Leeds hasn't got the gang culture that other cities that dont need to mention 

This seems very relevant and important.

• Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, The British Lion said:

I moved to Leeds 5 months ago, from Warrington. 

I can say without doubt, even though Im an absolute RL fan, and despite the fact Elland Road is a 10 min drive. I won't be going.

Magic weekend (Under Nigel Wood's remit) was a tool for expansion into new Cities, as a festival of RL. At least as I understood it.

What is Magic's purpose now? Is it a huddle for the m62 corridor fans of RL to enjoy a round of fixtures, with no ambition? This would suggest so. Also, for all those existing RL fans, im sure most have been to Leeds before. No new excitement as a venue. 

Magic Weekend sadly, in Cardiff, and Newcastle, had no further follow up into community clubs or semi pro clubs or investment from the RFL and was just a showpiece event. Strategy like that, no wonder where its at.

Magic Weekend is dead if this is it. 

My only conclusion for Magic Weekend, if its not going to be the 'spread the game' celebration it was meant to be is, for it to be the Super League (I even hate that brand) opener to the season. If thats what it has to be in the confines of the M62 - Make it the season opener.

Im sure im likely re-iterating some people when I say, IMG isn't enough. The RFL needs a new VISIONARY leader to take the game forwards. Richard Lewis was the last external leader, and whatever you think of him, he took the game in a new direction.

I agree with a lot of that.

I don’t see what Magic Weekend is trying to achieve anymore, what is it’s point?

Like most things in RL it actually is a good idea if executed properly.

I know everyone liked Newcastle but it just being there every year kind of defeats one of the main points of it to me, which should be to showcase the game to new audiences whilst also giving the existing fans a chance to visit new cities/stadiums.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

In fairness to Brierley, the players are stakeholders in this sport too and, it seems, ones who are rarely consulted on how the game operates. 

You could argue that's down to the players union to be stronger, but I would wager that there are a number of issues within the game, commercial and non-commercial, that wouldn't be harmed by some player input. Even the Premier League listens to representations from club captains..

Never mind the round ball game Micheal, look at Aus very recently the strength of the NRL did not get their own way when the players union threatened to revolt.

I don't think that there is one main reason for magic. Whether there was at the start then I suppose only the RFL will know for certain. Money, expansion, a festival all play a part in a successful magic. Unfortunately it seems as though this year's version is unlikely to fulfill the majority is indeed any of these. Cardiff and Newcastle fulfilled all, or at least had the potential to. Manchester did as well to an extent. I just don't think that ER will. The only hope being that some Leeds United fans maybe give it a go though I would be surprised if there are many of them who aren't at least aware of RL. Judging by comments i can't even see any festival of RL being successful given the state of the stadium and people likely only to watch their club and maybe one other match. So sad to see after having experienced fantastic magic weekends in the past.

Is Magic (not the best word to describe it) still on the calendar due to a commitment to our paymasters Sky? Moving to ER makes it sound like it to me. Also, does anyone have any figures regarding non-traditional RL fans turning up at Newcastle or any of the other previous venues? How can just rolling up once a season in a new area do anything to expand the game? I attended the Summer Bash in Blackpool and had a good time, but there weren't any new fans there. Admittedly, it wasn't SL, but the idea was the same. Then Moving it to Leeds and York was the begging of the end. 

23 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I don't think that there is one main reason for magic. Whether there was at the start then I suppose only the RFL will know for certain. Money, expansion, a festival all play a part in a successful magic. Unfortunately it seems as though this year's version is unlikely to fulfill the majority is indeed any of these. Cardiff and Newcastle fulfilled all, or at least had the potential to. Manchester did as well to an extent. I just don't think that ER will. The only hope being that some Leeds United fans maybe give it a go though I would be surprised if there are many of them who aren't at least aware of RL. Judging by comments i can't even see any festival of RL being successful given the state of the stadium and people likely only to watch their club and maybe one other match. So sad to see after having experienced fantastic magic weekends in the past.

It's been going for 17 years. It should be fulfilling some of the potential or achieving the goals by now, if it actually had any?

For me Magic doesn't need to have one aim, it can have several, the problem seems to be that as per usual the RFL don't know what those aims are.

Just holding it in the same place every year seems a bit pointless to me, We already have two big RL events where we do that. It should have been on cycles with the RFL selling it to cities/stadiums to host, I get that there are implications with scheduling but they should at least know what weekend they are going to hold it on at least a year in advance so that they can sell it to both cities and fans. They would then be able to make sure they engage with the local communities and clubs around that area.

Having thought about it I don't think it will be the disaster everyone is making out to be at Leeds, yes its really not an 'ideal' venue and personally I would just have pulled the plaster off now and not had it it was a perfect opportunity to get rid of it, if as I suspect that will be what happens in 2025.

I can actually see the merits in having something different in its place, maybe a nines tournament or a true festival of RL where there's is all forms of RL being played over a weekend, but I think that may be too radical at the moment, but I still think that (yes I know it works in Australia!) that it just being a normal round of SL fixtures isn't enough to sell the weekend as an event to casual fans of sport, as it stands its just a jolly for existing RL fans and I don't think that's what we need.

8 hours ago, The British Lion said:

Yes but has it done any good, firstly take Newcastle 7 times it has been held up there from '15 to '23 missing out '19 and Covid affected '20, has it converted enough locals, enough locals to stop the demise of it's Professional club well the evidence is there emphatically NO, of the other venues Cardiff 3 times and Edinburgh 2 also not had Mr Wood's desired effect, Manchester 3 and Liverpool 2 to much emphasis on the round ball game in those cities and basically one smack in the middle of the heartlands and the other on the edge and close to 3 of our biggest clubs probably about 40 mins max to any of those 3 for anyone interested in RL.

7 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I don't think it will be the disaster everyone is making out to be at Leeds

My expectation is you will get a total of around 30,000 on day one and 20,000 on day two with nowhere near that many being inside at any point and very, very few people sticking around for more than 1.5 games.

Given how *less than zero* level activity will go into the on-the-day experience or promotion to reach new audiences it will therefore probably be a success in that it will return some profit - not much but some - and probably look just about okay on TV.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Not to mention complete ######.

That did also seem likely. What with Leeds being a place in England with a population of people.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Having thought about it I don't think it will be the disaster everyone is making out to be at Leeds, yes its really not an 'ideal' venue and personally I would just have pulled the plaster off now and not had it it was a perfect opportunity to get rid of it, if as I suspect that will be what happens in 2025.

It depends what you definition of disaster is and what your expectations are. Sure the first day may sell out and we may get 20k the second day and the powers that be can pat themselves on the back but for what? All we are doing is exporting a round of loop fixtures to an aging stadium in a RL city and getting an attendance less than the same fixtures would get at home venues. This is really doing no more than that.

Again it just seems rather pointless.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

It's been going for 17 years. It should be fulfilling some of the potential or achieving the goals by now, if it actually had any?

For me Magic doesn't need to have one aim, it can have several, the problem seems to be that as per usual the RFL don't know what those aims are.

Just holding it in the same place every year seems a bit pointless to me, We already have two big RL events where we do that. It should have been on cycles with the RFL selling it to cities/stadiums to host, I get that there are implications with scheduling but they should at least know what weekend they are going to hold it on at least a year in advance so that they can sell it to both cities and fans. They would then be able to make sure they engage with the local communities and clubs around that area.

I can actually see the merits in having something different in its place, maybe a nines tournament or a true festival of RL where there's is all forms of RL being played over a weekend, but I think that may be too radical at the moment, but I still think that (yes I know it works in Australia!) that it just being a normal round of SL fixtures isn't enough to sell the weekend as an event to casual fans of sport, as it stands its just a jolly for existing RL fans and I don't think that's what we need.

That is the point I'm making. There isn't just one goal. And maybe we are/were meeting those multiple goals in part. 

We will see about how well it goes this year. It won't be acknowledged as a disaster, at least by the RFL. I don't see how hosted it in a stadium widely acknowledged even by those with a bias towards it as being unsuitable, in a city that already hosts possibly the biggest club in the country fulfills any of the aims.

I would like to see it used as a Challenge Cup round of 16. I think in that instance then you could have it in a heartland location to allow for relatively last minute qualification for it. It would however require all SL clubs joining at that stage and I would like to see the draw made months in advance to allow people to plan. I doubt this will happen and there are plenty of reasons why it shouldn't.

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

My expectation is you will get a total of around 30,000 on day one and 20,000 on day two with nowhere near that many being inside at any point and very, very few people sticking around for more than 1.5 games.

Given how *less than zero* level activity will go into the on-the-day experience or promotion to reach new audiences it will therefore probably be a success in that it will return some profit - not much but some - and probably look just about okay on TV.

A disaster in many peoples eyes but not bad enough for those with bias to admit it. But bad enough that it continues the slow decline of not just the event. Pretty standard across the sport the last few years.

1 hour ago, glossop saint said:

The only Leeds United fans who arent aware of RL are the out of Towners and there are many of them ,but most out and out football fans are descended from Hunslet or Leeds Rl and a bit Bramley. 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

9 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

A disaster in many peoples eyes but not bad enough for those with bias to admit it. But bad enough that it continues the slow decline of not just the event. Pretty standard across the sport the last few years.

For whatever reason, the RFL appear to accept slow decline at uninspiring events as being the level they want to achieve.