2024 attendance thread

10 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Much as I hate to upset the conspiracy theorists on here (that was a lie), Leigh have occasionally been late in announcing attendances going back before Beaumont bought the club.

It was always announced at the game (a good signal that the clock had hit 75 minutes) but was just a bit slow at updating the website sometimes. 

6 minutes ago, meast said:

Salford v Wigan

Pleasantly surprised by that but Salford with the big, main stand hidden on TV is never a good look. Wigan do usually take a decent number to Salford.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, meast said:

Salford v Wigan

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

Pleasantly surprised by that but Salford with the big, main stand hidden on TV is never a good look. Wigan do usually take a decent number to Salford.

Certainly compares favourably to the 3,827 at Salford City v Stockport tonight.

Absolute lunacy for them both to be at home at the same time btw. And on neighbouring Sky channels, too!

• Like 3

Broncs v Bunnies 35,507 🎉 

Sharks v Dogs 12,928 👍 

Panthers v Eels 21,522 🎉 

Raiders v Tigers 16,968 🆗 

Cows v Knights 18,986 👎

Storm v Warriors 21,927 👍

Sea Eagles v Rorters 17,284 🎉 

Dolphins v Dragons 10,011 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Sharks v Dogs 12,928 👍 

Panthers v Eels 21,522 🎉 

Cows v Knights 18,986 👎

I'd say Raiders getting 17k for the visit of WT is more than ok to be honest.

• Like 3

On 09/03/2024 at 23:43, Sports Prophet said:

Yes, that Parra crowd was great. Shame is, I think they could have got more. Again the NRL competitors in the AFL have had a very successful round so far, with a near capacity 21,235 watching GWS at Homebush run out winners against the Premiers. They will be ecstatic with that.

I actually feel like the NRL are rising to the challenge of the AFL for a matchday experience. 2023 was a phenomenal and unprecedented season for NRL crowds. What I did particularly notice with the GWS game was the number of groups of 3 - 8 young attractive ladies all sitting together dressed in apparel watching GWS. They have chosen to attend an AFL game rather than a Saturday night out on the town which is pretty impressive for GWS. I’ve always thought many of the Sydney NRL clubs could lift their game in becoming an attractive host for a ladies night out.

Interestingly GWS only then got a rather pathetic crowd of 8,034 for their next game. This strongly suggests that a fairly large portion of the 21,235 crowd were away Collingwood fans, who are by some distance the best attended AFL team:

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3

Wigan quickly sell out their Good Friday allocation without them even going on general sale. With Saints also selling out we have a Good Friday sellout already:

Edited by Damien
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Sharks v Dogs 12,928 👍 

Panthers v Eels 21,522 🎉 

Cows v Knights 18,986 👎

Those figures are really impressive and show how far the NRL has come in the last few years although I was a little bit surprised at the cowboys attendance as I thought it would have easily hit 20k+.

dolphins and sharks crowd’s restricted by capacity.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

7200+ at Belle Vue on Friday. 

7,221, a fantastic crowd for the Championship. Must be Wakefield's highest crowd for years too due to the ground improvements and restrictions. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Damien said:

Interestingly GWS only then got a rather pathetic crowd of 8,034 for their next game. This strongly suggests that a fairly large portion of the 21,235 crowd were away Collingwood fans, who are by some distance the best attended AFL team:

But but but everyone loves fumblecheeserolling - ALL of Sydney can’t get enough of it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JonM said:

Keighley v Cornwall 971

Doncaster v York 1463

Widnes v Barrow 1758

Great crowd for Donny, some really positive developments happening at both South Yorkshire clubs

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Great crowd for Donny, some really positive developments happening at both South Yorkshire clubs

Yes, there were quite a lot of York fans there - in good voice for most of the game too despite things not going their way.

I wonder why we are seeing so many sellouts this year, or is my perception wrong here? There certainly seems to be a lot of positive noises about certain games. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I wonder why we are seeing so many sellouts this year, or is my perception wrong here? There certainly seems to be a lot of positive noises about certain games. 

We've had some decent match ups and I think perception, that feelgood factor and momentum is always key. We have seen time and again that these things can snowball from that.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

1758 at Widnes is dreadful.

Maybe 80 plus from Barrow.

Hopefully we can start to get over 2000 soon!

2 hours ago, meast said:

Or due to the fact that they are likely to see them win and dominate most teams in that division?

Nah you can't do that!

People have said for years that no-one wants to come and watch rugby at a dilapidated stadium, blah, blah, blah.

Now it's much improved, you can't then say that the better surroundings aren't a positive factor.

Of course, expecting to be competitive and see a majority of wins does also help massively!

Edited by dboy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Damien said:

And in good news for the AFL haters, Gold Coast Suns dropped to a more familiar 11,000 as well last weekend.

Having watched the highlights, I think you are inaccurate on the “Collingwood fans” making up the bulk of the fans for week 1 though.

Edited by Sports Prophet

3 hours ago, meast said:

Or due to the fact that they are likely to see them win and dominate most teams in that division?

Yep....winning most games in a nice newly vamped stadium....very good chance of Wembley silverware too 

What's not to like being a Wakey fan this year 

Wish Broncos were in the same position !