Have we got a RL Joey Barton ?

Nice that virtually none of our posts have parroted the extreme nonsense of Barton or Devereux......and on the whole, been respectful and appreciative of the females who contribute to our game. 

Rugby League has always been more progressive than people(very often its own support base) give it credit for.

Edited by Tim Streets tache
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

“ when you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression”

that quote always seems relevant in these things

Seems relevant to IMG and owners of Super League clubs.

On topic - never took Devereux seriously since the charity box incident at the SPOTY awards in the 90's.

Don't think Barton has got that low - just yet.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

17 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Seems relevant to IMG and owners of Super League clubs.

On topic - never took Devereux seriously since the charity box incident at the SPOTY awards in the 90's.

Don't think Barton has got that low - just yet.

Can you elaborate?

I've seen people on twitter accusing him of drinking p155 

18 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I like Carney as an anchorman, he's no Bob Wilson. 

I'd love to meet the bloke who had the bright idea 

• Haha 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

FWIW my mums been watching RL a good while and always loved Claire Balding. Her reasoning was because she remembers Steve Rider presenting on BBC looking like he'd rather be anywhere else. Balding always came across as having a genuine enthusiasm for the sport.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wakeyranger said:

FWIW my mums been watching RL a good while and always loved Claire Balding. Her reasoning was because she remembers Steve Rider presenting on BBC looking like he'd rather be anywhere else. Balding always came across as having a genuine enthusiasm for the sport.

To be fair Steve Ryder is the lowest bar imaginable, well maybe until John Inverdale came along. Their contempt for RL was palpable. If you look up the word smug in a dictionary it just list these two names as the definition.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Damien said:

To be fair Steve Ryder is the lowest bar imaginable, well maybe until John Inverdale came along. Their contempt for RL was palpable. If you look up the word smug in a dictionary it just list these two names as the definition.

Could never stand the man.

13 minutes ago, wakeyranger said:

Balding loves sport and always came across as wanting to share that enthusiasm.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

Not a fan of Des Lynam either.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

3 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Surely Clare Balding and Helen Skelton were established presenters and were excellent when covering RL the others I agree, and some of the white middle aged men were poor. 

I don't agree with the views of Barton or Deveraux but it should be not a box ticking exercise.

It's better to be honest, with lines like your last one, you probably are aligned with their views. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Damien said:

I can't say I've particularly noticed Chalmers having a lack of knowledge but I don't see not being an expert on the sport as a bad thing for a presenter. Quite often presenters like that who have done RL come across as enthusiastic and ask all the right questions for many neutrals, as they themselves are genuinely interested in the answers.

I'm not expecting an expert. However I'm expecting a bit of research done beforehand and a knowledge of the sport. I didn't think he showed any, yet I feel that Clare Balding did. I'm probably wrong. As I said I felt similar when watching him on the Tokyo paralympics coverage. Maybe I've just got a downer on him. I'm glad the majority like him.

"John Devereux reveals in his biography, out in a few weeks, Wales’ top rugby league stars were offered central contracts by WRU to come back to union during clandestine meeting after 15 a side code went Pro in 1996"

54 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's better to be honest, with lines like your last one, you probably are aligned with their views. 

Poor comment, always regarded you with fair views. You have never met me and I find that very offensive.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Or his wig

he was the original balding sports presenter before claire 

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Segovia Carpet said:

And Benny Hill.

Didn’t women who worked with Benny Hill say he had the utmost respect for women? 

A bit before my time really, but I’ve seen the repeats when I was young, and nobody seemed offended at that time.    It was just how things used to be in the old days before society developed somewhat.

Anyway, back topic: As for John Devereux, with such a potted history I’m surprised anyone reads his views.

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Poor comment, always regarded you with fair views. You have never met me and I find that very offensive.

The complaints about 'tick box exercise' (the point you made) is exactly the 'argument' they are making. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dave T said:

The complaints about 'tick box exercise' (the point you made) is exactly the 'argument' they are making. 

To be honest Dave I won't be commenting on any comments you make as I find that very offensive so please do me the service of not commenting on mine, I will find it hard to not view any replies without thinking of what you wrote.

If this is the new normal standard it's probably time I withdraw from this forum.

• Like 2

Just now, ELBOWSEYE said:

To be honest Dave I won't be commenting on any comments you make as I find that very offensive so please do me the service of not commenting on mine, I will find it hard to not view any replies without thinking of what you wrote.

If this is the new normal standard it's probably time I withdraw from this forum.

That's your prerogative, I'm purely commenting on your words. You brought up 'tick box exercise' which is literally the complaints they have. 

I'm surprised you can't see the similarity. You may not have meant it like that, but as you say, we've never met, I can only comment on your words. 

11 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think it's fair enough - sometimes we just don't take to an individual and there aint much else to it. For me, I found him very easy to listen to, had a nice relaxed, modern presenting style, and i'm quite happy for the presenters to have little knowledge and ask the questions, allowing the experts to provide the detail. Clare Balding always took this approach and was a breath of fresh air.

On the flipside, I do also like Carney, as a presenter he also brings extensive knowledge and gives opinions - imo you need to be a bit more careful here (sometimes Eddie Hemmings overstepped the mark on this) but I think Carney is pretty good on this in general.

I probably find Mark Chapman the best presenter out there, he's doing more with Sky now, so hopefully that won't mean we don't see him covering RL.

I love Mark Chapman and I would/will  watch the NFL show on BBC/ITV etc but te American guys do my ###### head.

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

"John Devereux reveals in his biography, out in a few weeks, Wales’ top rugby league stars were offered central contracts by WRU to come back to union during clandestine meeting after 15 a side code went Pro in 1996"

If only the WRU could have poached him back before he missed that tackle in the World Cup...

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson