Which game are you watching tonight?

On 01/03/2024 at 18:07, Dunbar said:

Can you expand on that please.  What specifically has Sky done in its broadcasting of Rugby League that has let you to cancel?

Well sorry took so long for me to reply. See the thread I just started, Why I ditched Sky.

Started watching Cas vs Broncos hoping for a close game and a good Broncos performance. Switched over to KR vs Wigan hoping for a close game. Now watching Leigh hammer Catalans 😂 

On paper they all looked good match ups too!

• Haha 1

Shudds and Salford looks to be the best game for the neutral. So it's that one for me.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Tonight is a perfect example of what I refer to when I say we can maybe benefit from multiple Friday games. Wire v Hull has often been televised and poor. If that's the case tonight, you can easily stay engaged for the 2hrs with the other matches as well. So on that basis I think fans are more likely to stay engaged and commit to the night's viewing instead of drifting to other things. Friday night is SL night. 

But anyway, Wire v Hull on tv for me this week. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Tonight is a perfect example of what I refer to when I say we can maybe benefit from multiple Friday games. Wire v Hull has often been televised and poor. If that's the case tonight, you can easily stay engaged for the 2hrs with the other matches as well. So on that basis I think fans are more likely to stay engaged and commit to the night's viewing instead of drifting to other things. Friday night is SL night. 

But anyway, Wire v Hull on tv for me this week. 

Watching Hull FC beat Warrington is enough entertainment for me 😜😘

• Haha 2

Tonight Matthew, I will be watching Warrington play Hull FC.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Posted (edited)

Watched the London game 

As always would have loved to have woke up today and watched the Huddersfield game....

As always no point as IN PLAY they kept giving the score of that game during the Headingly match 

A real shame as sounded like a cracker towards the end but no point as I was forcefully given the result during the London game 

SKY have lost my little bit of TV rating for this morning as I would have watched for 2 hours 

Lots of you have have pointed out that SKY won't care and they see more value to viewers knowing the scores of other matches during the match they are watching 

Personally it think those people are talking horse **** but there appears very little I can do 

Having all games live is having no/little effect on the amount of SL I am watching....I would be going from watching 2/3 games a week to watching all 6 games but as it is I am in exactly the same position of watching 2/3 games a week 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 1

Today, all EFL Championship games are kicking off at 12.30.

Anyone going to be watching? Maybe do an experiment and see if Sky update on other scores during the game?  They are showing three games live on main channels so it would be a direct comparison.

My TV will sadly be given over to the Arsenal supporting son at that time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

53 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Watched the London game 

As always would have loved to have woke up today and watched the Huddersfield game....

As always no point as IN PLAY they kept giving the score of that game during the Headingly match 

A real shame as sounded like a cracker towards the end but no point as I was forcefully given the result during the London game 

SKY have lost my little bit of TV rating for this morning as I would have watched for 2 hours 

Lots of you have have pointed out that SKY won't care and they see more value to viewers knowing the scores of other matches during the match they are watching 

Personally it think those people are talking horse **** but there appears very little I can do 

Having all games live is having no/little effect on the amount of SL I am watching....I would be going from watching 2/3 games a week to watching all 6 games but as it is I am in exactly the same position of watching 2/3 games a week 

I have a different attitude as I like to know the scores of matches as they are being played and then I choose the best match to watch first after the live match I have seen.

But then, I have never really needed to watch delayed matches 'as live'.  I watch all the NRL games every week - some live and some later, but I am comfortable knowing the score of the matches I watch on delay, I just enjoy the game play.

But as always, these are personal preferences and I can see why people  would want to watch a game as live.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I have a different attitude as I like to know the scores of matches as they are being played and then I choose the best match to watch first after the live match I have seen.

But then, I have never really needed to watch delayed matches 'as live'.  I watch all the NRL games every week - some live and some later, but I am comfortable knowing the score of the matches I watch on delay, I just enjoy the game play.

But as always, these are personal preferences and I can see why people  would want to watch a game as live.

So there are 2 views here 

But!!!! The crucial thing is that in fact both sets of views could be catered for 

You could be catered for by keeping an eye in the other scores on your phone then SKY don't give spoilers.....no effect on you and your preference at all

Then I would be able to choose my preference of not knowing and then watching as more games after as live 

Instead ...SKY are catering for ONE option only 

Like I say some are saying SKY won't care.....well I don't buy that. There is a significant number of us who are watching less coverage (and hence lower ratings) because of spoilers. No one taking your preference is going to stop watching a game because there are no spoilers (they will watch and use thier phone)

The argument is basically stating 

"SKY doesn't care about extra ratings/views" which is complete rubbish and a complete missed open goal by SKY

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Today, all EFL Championship games are kicking off at 12.30.

Anyone going to be watching? Maybe do an experiment and see if Sky update on other scores during the game?  They are showing three games live on main channels so it would be a direct comparison.

My TV will sadly be given over to the Arsenal supporting son at that time.

A huge difference as well you know Jon

It's effectively a final day play off ...normal weekly SL fixtures are not 

If we had the same situation then I would advocate spoilers being fine in that case as there are huge, direct and immediate consequences for 'in game' play ....I would not watch each game individually  (and i will be watching the Champ coverage today with no moans at all)

A good comparison would be our 2015 last round with 4 clubs all able to win the LLS (the one with the helicopter)

In that case it made perfect sense to see all scores simultaneously because there were huge, direct and immediate consequences for in game play ....exactly the same as today's soccer championship last round 

In a normal SL round the consequence for the LLS or play offs are diffuse and less immediate meaning that they can be watched as stand alone games and enjoyed for what they are.....unless of course you know the result via spoilers ...and any jeopardy / tension is lost from viewing it

Posted (edited)

I'm happy to accept I'm in a minority and admit to defeat to SKY but ...

They have lost 3 games a week worth of viewing from me  .....that I will probably end up watching the Gallagher rugby union games instead on TNT

I'll happily accept they may not care 

4 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm happy to accept I'm in a minority and admit to defeat to SKY but ...

They have lost 3 games a week worth of viewing from me  .....that I will probably end up watching the Gallagher rugby union games instead on TNT

I'll happily accept they may not care 

Would you have watched the ads on those games - as in the ones in the breaks?

(That's a genuine Q by the way)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

43 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

So there are 2 views here 

But!!!! The crucial thing is that in fact both sets of views could be catered for 

You could be catered for by keeping an eye in the other scores on your phone then SKY don't give spoilers.....no effect on you and your preference at all

Then I would be able to choose my preference of not knowing and then watching as more games after as live 

Instead ...SKY are catering for ONE option only 

Like I say some are saying SKY won't care.....well I don't buy that. There is a significant number of us who are watching less coverage (and hence lower ratings) because of spoilers. No one taking your preference is going to stop watching a game because there are no spoilers (they will watch and use thier phone)

The argument is basically stating 

"SKY doesn't care about extra ratings/views" which is complete rubbish and a complete missed open goal by SKY

I certainly agree that one preference is being catered to.  I could find the live scores one of a hundred different ways.

As for why Sky show the live scores. There are a few possible reasons. 

1. They believe that it is better for their business to show them.  They have come to a conclusion and it is the right one.

2. They have come to a conclusion and it is the wrong one.

3. They don't care either way.

4. Nobody senior enough has looked at it and made a decision to not do what the producers think is what the fans want to see.

In my experience, it is almost always number 4.  There is an assumed way of doing things and nobody really changes anything until they are told to... and I don't think Rugby League is high enough to be on the radar.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I certainly agree that one preference is being catered to.  I could find the live scores one of a hundred different ways.

As for why Sky show the live scores. There are a few possible reasons. 

1. They believe that it is better for their business to show them.  They have come to a conclusion and it is the right one.

2. They have come to a conclusion and it is the wrong one.

3. They don't care either way.

4. Nobody senior enough has looked at it and made a decision to not do what the producers think is what the fans want to see.

In my experience, it is almost always number 4.  There is an assumed way of doing things and nobody really changes anything until they are told to... and I don't think Rugby League is high enough to be on the radar.

That's a great list which covers exactly what the situation is in my view 

Unfortunately I'm coming around to the fact it may well be number 4 ....the numbers/finance of RL are probably so irrelevant to them they don't care ??

37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Would you have watched the ads on those games - as in the ones in the breaks?

(That's a genuine Q by the way)

Probably not and I get your point however ...

It isn't just the ads that drives money for SKY

They 'compete' for my monthly subscription ....amongst my other expenses 

I was close to cancelling a few months ago and may well do so by the end the year (if my job continues the way it is)

This is all part of the 'balance' of that decision. 

Like all decisions there is always a 'tipping point'.....for me and others this may be it? 

Having a guaranteed 6 games I could watch 'as live' would help tip the decision towards SKY continuing to get £60 a month from me (not yo mention the chance to hook me in for other purchases like films and broadband) 

It's not just personally annoying ...its just bad business sense 

But as Dunbar says ....it may be too small for the to care 

It is telling while watching the Elland Road coverage today (with spoilers 😉) the Leeds faithful were singing 'Sky TV is ****ing **** etc)