19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Loved his style of play, never gave anything less than full blood and guts and was no stranger to controversial incidents.

Isn't he now on the MRP, seems a little like the poacher turned gamekeeper.

Strong runner and he could put it about a bit when needed.

44 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Which he did quite often, but he was good to watch, he wouldn't be one of those like today with his arms waving all over the place at the ref, he bidded his time if you know what I mean.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

I thought he was great on Sky, very knowledeable and passionate guy, much more interesting than some of the uninspiring voices we hear today on Sky.

Lucky enough to speak to him a couple of times when he started coaching and he was a lovely bloke who clearly enjoyed his RL

Cullen is a nice guy. He is passionate and knowledgeable about the game and has played and coached at a high level.

This might sound patronising but is not intended as such. He sometimes speaks with the rhythm and vocabulary of someone who didn't have to be particularly articulate during his school or playing days, and therefore learnt public speaking later in life. This means he sometimes sounds a bit verbose and deliberate in his speech (see also, to some extent Phil Clarke and Alan Hunte). This always seem to wind people up when he was on Sky so am surprised to see people being so complimentary now.

In any case, he was a decent coach for Warrington and gave everything to the club on and off the field. It was right that we moved on but also sad that it didn't fully work out.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

There was an anecdote about him and Andy Farrell being photographed together for an article or interview and Cullen suggested they got a box or something for him to stand on so the two were at the same height for the photo. Farrell's response was "you never needed anything to stand on to reach my head in your playing days!" :kolobok_biggrin:

• Haha 7

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Cullen is a nice guy. He is passionate and knowledgeable about the game and has played and coached at a high level.

This might sound patronising but is not intended as such. He sometimes speaks with the rhythm and vocabulary of someone who didn't have to be particularly articulate during his school or playing days, and therefore learnt public speaking later in life. This means he sometimes sounds a bit verbose and deliberate in his speech (see also, to some extent Phil Clarke and Alan Hunte). This always seem to wind people up when he was on Sky so am surprised to see people being so complimentary now.

In any case, he was a decent coach for Warrington and gave everything to the club on and off the field. It was right that we moved on but also sad that it didn't fully work out.

I never get that impression from listening to him speak, always seems articulate enough to me. Phil Clarke also went to University so is certainly educated.

• Like 1

Worth remembering that Cullen did TV punditry for a while and the whinges about him were pretty much constant.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

He took part in the famous 'Battle of Wilderspool ' on New Years Day in 1988.

I lifted this excerpt from a guardian article;

Ten minutes later Andy Goodway was sent off for a flying forearm smash to the back of Paul Cullen’s head, leaving the Wire centre face-down in the dirt. And off he trotted, straight over Cullen’s fingers. Adrenalised, the Warrington man leapt to his feet and clattered his attacker to the ground from behind, just in front of the dugouts. It took almost half of the Warrington team to drag Goodway clear of the melee.

It's well worth a look on Youtube.

On 23/04/2024 at 06:43, JohnM said:

Dirty, niggly expletive deleted. But yes, we need personalities who can speak whole sentences without hesitation, repetition or deviation.

Just a minute, I am sure I have heard that somewhere before😜

• Haha 1

On 22/04/2024 at 07:36, Welshleaguelover said:

Just been listening to him on Eddie Hemmings' podcast. Is there a more impressive guy in rugby league?

I don't have too much to to say. Just feels like Cullen is the kind of a fella you'd want involved with the RFL/IMG.

He is the chair of the MRP , so I would agree with you in principle to maybe get him involved in the RFL/IMG , if it means he will be off the MRP . I agree it's only my opinion , but the MRP since he has been in charge isn't fit for purpose . The decisions made are so inconsistent , something which is frequently mentioned by others on the forum . I am sure he has talents in other areas , but I don't think the MRP is one of them . 

• Like 1

15+ posts in and no-one has mentioned the mural of Paul Cullen currently being painted on the side of the Kings Head pub near the HJ Stadium, having finally got planning permission from the council? 🙂 

On 22/04/2024 at 19:36, Futtocks said:

Worth remembering that Cullen did TV punditry for a while and the whinges about him were pretty much constant.

He's not been on TV for a while, so, like Eddie and Stevo, some will have forgotten what they've said before. 🙂

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

He's not been on TV for a while, so, like Eddie and Stevo, some will have forgotten what they've said before. 🙂

How about "Wide to West" and "He's put his body on the line" for starters, I am sure there can be a few pages filled with what they have said if posters can be bothered.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2024 at 12:10, Just Browny said:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that he could hardly string a sentence together when he was still playing but had taken some sort of media course, I used to laugh when I heard him, Noble or whoever saying alluded to. Everybody on the Sky commentary team was alluding to something and I presumed they’d all been on the same course.