Paul Rowley offered contract to be new head coach at Hull FC...

28 minutes ago, MZH said:

Thats the way I see it. The Hull job is high risk high reward. He could fail miserably like so many before him, but if he finally becomes the man who gets it right at Hull he can achieve things that simply aren't going to be possible at Salford. I think if you are ambitious and have confidence in your own ability then it's still an attractive job, especially if there are assurances about investment coming in and he is being promised a good playing budget.

I'd be very happy with the appointment if it happens.

I totally agree, that 5 coaches in 4 years is it now stat must put people off though.

• Like 1

Would be a very good move for Hull but a gamble for Rowley.

Hull need someone who can get value for money in the transfer market, someone players would want to play for and someone who can get the best out the players, Rowley fits the bill perfectly.

I'd like to see how Rowley can operate with a big budget because he works wonders with a tight one.

• Like 1

Hull live reporting a 6 figure p.a. contract and loads of cap space spend being offered to Rowley. For an RL coach I think it would be very hard to turn those sums down.

8 hours ago, up the robins said:

Would be a very good move for Hull but a gamble for Rowley.

Hull need someone who can get value for money in the transfer market, someone players would want to play for and someone who can get the best out the players, Rowley fits the bill perfectly.

I'd like to see how Rowley can operate with a big budget because he works wonders with a tight one.

At Leigh and Toronto he did relatively well in the championship with relatively big budgets. His win rate at both was way over 75%.

I'm not expecting that in Super League of course, but he can clearly put together a squad.

It's a no brainier for Rowley to join Hull IMO

I think he's drained every last ounce he can at Salford after having the rug pulled from under him multiple times. 

Yes Hull are a complete basket case of a club at the moment, but that should excite a coach, that he's almost a blank canvas to go in and put his own stamp on things. If he only loses by 30+ points that's an improvement on things! 

Timings everything in sport and sometimes you have to grasp an opportunity while it presents itself. I always thought Daryl Powell went from Cas to Warrington two years too late. Cas were gradually declining each year and it didn't feel like the best Powell went over. 

• Like 2

I don't think it would be too big a gamble for Rowley. If it doesn't work out, plenty will believe the issues led beyond the coach and his reputation won't take too much of a hit. Just a case of whether he personally wants to work in Hull

• Like 4

The question for Rowley is does he want to leave a smallish club where he's to a large extent just left alone to get on with the job, or move to a big one with serious problems where he's just a cog (albeit a fairly large one) in the machine. If it was me I'd stay where I was.

16 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

They'd do well to sign whoever's in charge of coach and player recruitment at Salford. They keep getting it right.

Yep. A lot made of their departures, but Shorrocks and MacDonald were excellent signings, and Mellor also a very shrewd signing.

• Like 1

“Hull Live have reported that Rowley was offered £150,000 and will have just over £1 million of cap space at his disposal. Announcement expected today! #RLFC“

• Thanks 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

6 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

“Hull Live have reported that Rowley was offered £150,000 and will have just over £1 million of cap space at his disposal. Announcement expected today! #RLFC“

A £1million? How much was Hoy and Brown on… 😮

4 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

The question for Rowley is does he want to leave a smallish club where he's to a large extent just left alone to get on with the job, or move to a big one with serious problems where he's just a cog (albeit a fairly large one) in the machine. If it was me I'd stay where I was.

I'd say he is in a strong position to make the role right for him with the autonomy that he needs.

Edited by Damien

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'd say he is in a strong position to make the right for him with the autonomy that he needs.

Then what is the point of Myler?

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

A £1million? How much was Hoy and Brown on… 😮

A decent chunk, but there are plenty of rumours doing the rounds of other players being released too. We also don't have any marquee players currently as far as I'm aware so maybe its a case of £1m to spend on wages but the whole £1m won't necessarily count towards the cap.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Doesn't need the money Gooley, and lives in a very salubrious area about 10 mins from the AJ Bell. I would be very surprised if he took it.

Part of the deal, only a 20 minute drive from Hull's training ground:

Rowley Manor

• Haha 6

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

4 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

The earlier “rumour” that a 6-figure salary had been offered has me thinking… are any head coaches not on 6-figures?

The 150k being quoted is a fee to Salford to release him from his contract. Think the person quoting this is getting mixed up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will be totally surprised if he does go, but if it does happen it won't be for the money he has no problems in that department.

If he has any professional ambition he'd go, Salford are always going to be a selling club unless someone cashed up comes in. If he does go it's going to be tough times for Salford, particularly as Rowley never leaves a club empty handed, I'd expect at least 4 or 5 to follow him out the door at the end of the year.

Well it's never boring being a Hull fan.

Chamberlain is joining on loan from Leigh, and Tom Briscoe is strongly rumoured to be coming too with Darnell McIntosh going the other way. Josh Griffin is another one I've seen linked with a return (he fell out with Smith, but apart from that he didn't want to leave apparently). 

Other rumours include Okunbor being released and Tuimavave retiring (potentially taking up a coaching role). Ligi Sao leaving to become a fireman (no I'm not joking). I'm sure I've missed a few too.

Hope it comes off. Hull have no end of players out of contract at end of season so effectively it will be a new coaches team a lot earlier than usual and with rumoured big new investment coming in. I believe Pearson has just been surviving this last 3 years and needed a bit of help. He could always blame Myler if it goes wrong

By the way I’ve just been rewatching the 85 Cup Final highlights and Hull had one of the most iconic strips in rugby league history with those black n white hoops why would they ever change that .In fact looking at that game same  could be said about Wigan . NRL sides rarely seem to overly change a design 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1