Paul Rowley offered contract to be new head coach at Hull FC...

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

Not going to Hull FC.Ā 

Can't see him going Leeds either.

Rowley's an experienced coach and he would never put up with Hetherington telling him who's going to be sold/released and who will be bought. A coach of Rowley's calibre wants to sign and sack the players he decides upon, not the CEO or whatever title GH has given himself.

There could well be better clubs with first team coaching vacancies soon which he could quite fancy.

Ā 

Do tell which clubs you are talking about.

This whole series of events really is the gift that keeps on giving. Iā€™m trying desperately hard not to enjoy myself, but honestly after 20 years of sneers from that lot when we were in the doldrums very hard. But Iā€™ll be strong!

I really donā€™t understand the media strategy though: Why leak this to their compliant, ā€œclient journalistā€ at the Hull Daily Mail when itā€™s nowhere near being in the bag? Just didnā€™t seem necessary to take that risk of it blowing up in their faces. Iā€™m sure FC fans have more patience and didnā€™t need to be fed some interim potential newsĀ 

• Like 2

Good on Rowley. It made no sense what so ever to take the Hull job. Its not a case of adding one or two players to get competitive, its a full rebuild they type of thing that could take close to a decade and whoever is the next coach will only make a start on the job. If Rowley were to leave Salford then it will be to a team that maybe only needs those one or two players to push on.

44 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Good on Rowley. It made no sense what so ever to take the Hull job. Its not a case of adding one or two players to get competitive, its a full rebuild they type of thing that could take close to a decade and whoever is the next coach will only make a start on the job. If Rowley were to leave Salford then it will be to a team that maybe only needs those one or two players to push on.

Good post as always Ox.Ā 

I've found some of the posts on here to be quite disrespectful to Salford, probably unintentionally so.Ā 

Well done Paul Rowley for your loyalty and professionalism. I hope Salford kick on from here (after this weekend).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DavidM said:

By the way Iā€™ve just been rewatching the 85 Cup Final highlights and Hull had one of the most iconic strips in rugby league history with those black n white hoops why would they ever change that .In fact looking at that game same Ā could be said about Wigan . NRL sides rarely seem to overly change a designĀ 

Would rate this as the best CC final I have ever attended. Prior to leaving the UK in 1966 I was at them all from 1948 and came from Aus to see another half dozen or so- most involving Hull.

Agree on your strip comments.

Ā 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

When has a full rebuild in RL took a decade? Various big clubs have done it in a fraction of that time. Obviously the money and backing has to be there,Ā  which would be the case if the investment that has been alluded to happens.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

And you'd no doubt get another great coach that gets 150% out of 75% budget.

The real person we should be after is the person who's finding the coaches...

Leave Ian out of thisĀ  šŸ™‚

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

When has a full rebuild in RL took a decade? Various big clubs have done it in a fraction of that time. Obviously the money and backing has to be there,Ā  which would be the case if the investment that has been alluded to happens.

Agreed. You only need to look at Wigan's demise in the mid-00s. Nearly relegated in 06. They got a new coach and signed one player (on the face of it). Seemed to make a huge difference! *I'll ignore the fact they also broke the salary cap...*

And again, a few years later they changed owner, head coach and suddenly became the blue print!Ā 

With the right people and investment, the change can be pretty quick. By the looks of it, we're willing to fork out some money (which we weren't sure about before) to get the right people. That's a relief at least because the feeling was we were skint and doing it all on the cheap. Turns out, we're just doing it really really really badly!

• Like 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Which big clubs have had to do a rebuild on this sort of scale? They literally have nothing to build around. They remind me so much of the Fax relegation team, most of the talent has gone now, they are left with players who used to be good but have not got long enough left in the tank to be part of the rebuild, and academy players that realistically are nowhere near good enough to be playing at this level.Ā 

It isn't just a case of here is a load of money go and splash it about, how often has that worked in the past without the rest of the infrastructure?

Edit: Just saw the Wigan reference and I guess that could be used as an example as that took maybe 4/5 years but the difference were that they had some serious qaulity of talent coming through their junior ranks and they made up a decent chunk of that squad. For Hull they are not close to that and again that is not simply an overnight fix and does involve a little bit of luck as well.

Edited by The Blues Ox

26 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Which big clubs have had to do a rebuild on this sort of scale? They literally have nothing to build around. They remind me so much of the Fax relegation team, most of the talent has gone now, they are left with players who used to be good but have not got long enough left in the tank to be part of the rebuild, and academy players that realistically are nowhere near good enough to be playing at this level.Ā 

It isn't just a case of here is a load of money go and splash it about, how often has that worked in the past without the rest of the infrastructure?

Edit: Just saw the Wigan reference and I guess that could be used as an example as that took maybe 4/5 years but the difference were that they had some serious qaulity of talent coming through their junior ranks and they made up a decent chunk of that squad. For Hull they are not close to that and again that is not simply an overnight fix and does involve a little bit of luck as well.

You said to get competitive. Michael Maguire virtually transformed Wigan both on and off the field in a single pre-season and won the Grand Final in his first. The likes of Bradford, Saints and Leeds didn't take a decade to get to their peaks and win honours. Indeed Bradford went from a 7th place finish to SL Champions in 2 seasons under Matthew Elliot and transformed the club with the whole Bulls rebrand.

It is more than possible with the right appointments and investment.

I disagree with most on here on how big a job it will be to turn Hull FC around.

Most of their team has gone or out of contract at the end of the season leaving a almost blank canvass and a full playing budget to rebuild with.Ā 

If they can appoint the right coach and get signings in key position's right a half decent half back to go alongside Trueman also aĀ  Hooker and fullback and build around that.

We have seen that FCĀ  look to have plenty of quality coming through the ranks who will make there transition into the first team over the next few years.Ā 

There is no reason why given a bit of fortune on getting the right signings can't be competing for the playoffs with in two to three years.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Worzel said:

This whole series of events really is the gift that keeps on giving. Iā€™m trying desperately hard not to enjoy myself, but honestly after 20 years of sneers from that lot when we were in the doldrums very hard. But Iā€™ll be strong!

I really donā€™t understand the media strategy though: Why leak this to their compliant, ā€œclient journalistā€ at the Hull Daily Mail when itā€™s nowhere near being in the bag? Just didnā€™t seem necessary to take that risk of it blowing up in their faces. Iā€™m sure FC fans have more patience and didnā€™t need to be fed some interim potential newsĀ 

It came through the Yorkshire Post.

57 minutes ago, Damien said:

Isn't that the case with all the clubs especially your last word, but then again that 'investment' is somewhat lopsided in what teams are 'allowed' to spend, if it was a specific 'salary cap' spend which no club could exceed then that would be more of a level playing field.

Albeit, I can think of one in the not to distant past where the appointment and investment didn't mesh, at Salford when the good Doc came in, he had the money but then not knowing what he was doing with the coaches appointment took advice from some who also seemingly didn't know what they were doing who told him to employ Brian Noble who proceeded to gather together at no little expense a squad totally not fit for purpose.

Incidently, just on that Dr Koucash involvement, he wanted the 'Salary Cap' abolishing so he could spend what he wanted on team building but there was a resentment to it from Chairs and fans of many clubs including the bigger clubs, but now have the authorities gone half way into this with the 3 marquee rule we now employ? Was Dr Koucash a visionary that got derided?

I wonder what the game would look like today if the RFL had granted The Good Doc his wish, would we have had more BIG money men willing to invest, would we have the ability to compete with the NRL for the best player's in the world, would we ............ the questions are numerous.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Worzel said:

As well as the media leak, I think there can also be questions about how conversations between clubs have collapsed because the individual has said he's not interested. I know fans get hot under the collar about tapping up when it is their club's people in question, but almost any other club (in any sport) would've gauged the individual's interest, before making such a big offer to their club.

Myler and Hull clearly didn't gauge Rowley's interest very well.

32 minutes ago, phiggins said:

As well as the media leak, I think there can also be questions about how conversations between clubs have collapsed because the individual has said he's not interested. I know fans get hot under the collar about tapping up when it is their club's people in question, but almost any other club (in any sport) would've gauged the individual's interest, before making such a big offer to their club.

Myler and Hull clearly didn't gauge Rowley's interest very well.

I donā€™t think that was the case. Ā More likely an Agent spouting the Dave Craven that Hull were willing to pay the Ā£150k.

I emailed a mate with the same query as Worzel has commented on. Ā ā€˜why put this in the pressā€™? Ā Certainly not in Hulls interest to do so.

Harry, the problem with the Doc at Salford wasn't the cap it was because he wanted to be in charge of it all. He signed a number of "big names" most of them had troubles such as Hock and Chase. He give no thought of of building a team just wanted players.

He took on an ex council employee who has, since, seen the failure of a number of clubs, he appointed Noble and Harris as coaches and the on field product was awful.Ā 

Blease came in and his impact can not be understated, Take Hastings as an example, here was a talented player with some issues and missed his family, Blease had him to tea every week with his family. Hastings felt so strongly about the club that after his move he had a mascot walk out with him wearing Salford colours šŸ™‚

Has Myler got that touch? Has he got the management skills/ time will tell but a bloke just throwing money at the club won't solve Hull's issues. personally Houghton would have been a better choice.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

You said to get competitive. Michael Maguire virtually transformed Wigan both on and off the field in a single pre-season and won the Grand Final in his first. The likes of Bradford, Saints and Leeds didn't take a decade to get to their peaks and win honours. Indeed Bradford went from a 7th place finish to SL Champions in 2 seasons under Matthew Elliot and transformed the club with the whole Bulls rebrand.

Agree with this. You can build a competitive club pretty quickly if you get the right people in place. We know this all too well at Leigh having failed at many, many times before getting it right with Chester and Lam.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Incidently, just on that Dr Koucash involvement, he wanted the 'Salary Cap' abolishing so he could spend what he wanted on team building but there was a resentment to it from Chairs and fans of many clubs including the bigger clubs, but now have the authorities gone half way into this with the 3 marquee rule we now employ? Was Dr Koucash a visionary that got derided?

I wonder what the game would look like today if the RFL had granted The Good Doc his wish, would we have had more BIG money men willing to invest, would we have the ability to compete with the NRL for the best player's in the world, would we ............ the questions are numerous.

I'd think it would be far more likely that we'd have ended up with a load more club owners spending money they didn't really have, chasing success they were no more likely to get, before crashing and burning like Koucash did.

That bloke was a terrible human. Running around on the Craven Park pitch inciting the home crowd with his daft giant cheque, after he relegated Rovers with a team his club couldn't afford and in large part didn't end up paying the bills for. We should be relegating clubs or at least doing points deductions for financial mismanagement like that. It's as bad as doping, still cheating however you cut it.Ā 

More "visionary" people like that in the game? No thanks.Ā 

14 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Salford did have points deducted for his financial mismanagement. They had points for breach of the cap and again when they defaulted on the CVA.

The context of that was as convenient as possible for Salford though...

31 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Salford did have points deducted for his financial mismanagement. They had points for breach of the cap and again when they defaulted on the CVA.

Weren't all those issue conveniently painless due to them falling during the covid years?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.
Ā 
Ā 
Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 -Ā The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezzĀ BromanceĀ 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Ā 

Ā 

50 minutes ago, Worzel said:

I'd think it would be far more likely that we'd have ended up with a load more club owners spending money they didn't really have, chasing success they were no more likely to get, before crashing and burning like Koucash did.

That bloke was a terrible human. Running around on the Craven Park pitch inciting the home crowd with his daft giant cheque, after he relegated Rovers with a team his club couldn't afford and in large part didn't end up paying the bills for. We should be relegating clubs or at least doing points deductions for financial mismanagement like that. It's as bad as doping, still cheating however you cut it.Ā 

More "visionary" people like that in the game? No thanks.Ā 

See that game still sticks in your throat some 8 years on, just on that game alone Salford had lost the game and were heading for the Champonship with about a minute and a half to go and KR were in the SL next season, then one of the best finishes one will ever witness took place, no wonder there was euphoria from the *winning boss, and I seem to remember that there was an enquiry by the RFL into the behaviour of both sets of fans, don't tell me that that the HKR fans involved were all provoked and not just aggrevated with the loss and needed to take it out on someone.

* Only last season we also saw to other club owners letting it all go, Eamon McManus dancing across the field in Sydney and our own Derek Beaumont at Wembley.

It was a very special moment for Marwen Koucash, Worzel.