Leeds Restructure Rugby Department

2 hours ago, redjonn said:

Don't see that the club/GH has any unwillingness to sack coaches, as shown with previous. He or Caddick don't shy from discussing performances with coaches.   I think GH just disagree 's with the clamour by many to sack Smith.  He may come to that conclusion in his own time frame but that isn't now and his record shows he ain't shy to sack a coach when he thinks it appropriate. 

As far as I can see GH has been putting in place a number of directors for different parts of the business with a view of building the structure that enables him to take a step back.  I would look at the Sporting Director as that next or final step of providing a structure and people in position to sustain the business with both Caddock and GH both getting into their 70's, well GH's the next few weeks.

In terms of sackings, he's sacked McDermott Sinfield sacked Furner, and Agar was "mutually agreed" which I'm inclined to think Smith won't be. Before then? Even Daryll Powell was "moved upstairs"...

I think he has been doing that what you describe yes, but the really big task he handed to Sinfield who ultimately did not want that role and wasn't prepared for it. That was several years ago now, and there's not been much haste in movement since.

I do think this announcement and appointment was going to come at some point, but the "why now" is because they want to take some of the heat off the lacklustre on field performances. It also seems pretty rushed and without planning. Wanting a new person appointed ASAP is not the way these sorts of roles should be filled, likewise, I think another part of the reason Hetherington hasn't sacked Smith is he doesn't have a Plan B - I don't think there is a shortlist of potential replacements.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

He simply wasn't ready for that role IMO and he admits himself in his book that he just didn't enjoy it.

To be fair, I know how he feels. I've had jobs I thought I'd like but didn't.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Mr Rowley to follow?

Is he the one once banned from RL for life, although reduced to 10 months on appeal.... according to an old Mirror report.

11 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

If Rowley is Leeds' aim(which it should be IMO) then this is a good first step. 

I think Ian Blease is the aim and always was for this role. Hetherington probably sees a lot of himself in Blease and thinks he's a perfect fit. Head coaches come and go but this is a long-term appointment.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

If Rowley is Leeds' aim(which it should be IMO) then this is a good first step. 

I think so too.

I think this is a good long term step regardless though.

That said it will be an interesting change for Blease. He will have gone from negotiating with everyone knowing money is tight and expectations low to having player agents knowing he's got money and expectations are trophies each season. Harder to get a bargain and bigger demands.

Plus this has the added oversight of the academy, which Salford haven't had under his stewardship iirc.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I think so too.

I think this is a good long term step regardless though.

That said it will be an interesting change for Blease. He will have gone from negotiating with everyone knowing money is tight and expectations low to having player agents knowing he's got money and expectations are trophies each season. Harder to get a bargain and bigger demands.

Plus this has the added oversight of the academy, which Salford haven't had under his stewardship iirc.

Yeah, I think you are quite correct that this is a completely different role with different resources.

I know Blease is highly regarded and may do well. He is though Salford through and through, even making sacrifices just to keep the club going, who has worked wonders on a shoestring budget. Leeds is a completely different beast with different demands and I think it's far from certain if he has the skills Leeds need. Then again he may work wonders at a big club, it will be interesting to see.

Edited by Damien

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yeah, I think you are quite correct that this is a completely different role with different resources.

I know Blease is highly regarded and may do well. He is though Salford through and through, even making sacrifices just to keep the club going, who has worked wonders on a shoestring budget. Leeds is a completely different beast with different demands and I think it's far from certain if he has the skills Leeds need. Then again he may work wonders at a big club, it will be interesting to see.

It happens in all sports. There's many who can make the step up to the different level but there's many who struggle, at least initially. I do wonder how much of Blease's experience would translate to Headingley - and even the bits that did like recruitment, would have massive changes themselves as we've discussed.

I think it's a positive step as if we're not going to Australia then he's probably as good an option as any in England. It's a role the club desperately needs, and a responsibility the coach needs to have lifted from his shoulders. It wouldn't surprise me if Blease brings in a lot of Salford's rugby staff with him in the coming months, people tend to want their own people around them if they can.

• Like 1

So I see there is a review period about to take place. As is normal in any new senior appointment coming in.

So, do you keep Smith and coaching team, or use it as a mechanism to change. If so, imminently or at the end of the year? At this stage the fans at least would no doubt be on board with a Rowley appointment.

Secondly, if you are a player, you know your performances are well and truly under the limelight for the coming few weeks in particular. Can you overcome what ever issues there have been to prove worthiness of a contract and a place in the squad?

You cannot imagine this will be taken lightly given the statements made in the press conference this morning. It gives Ian Blease a clean slate to do as as he see's best. It would be very interesting to be in that boardroom discussion when he presents his findings and recommendations.

The slight fly in the ointment being that he is up against it to secure the best talent for next year.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Hopefully this doesn't effect Salford too much.

Could be very damaging imo, especially if more talent goes, regardless of whether Blease is a success at Leeds or not.

16 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Shame for Salford if true, he’s done wonders for them. You’d have to wonder where this leaves them

Having to rebuild for the zillionth time.

• Sad 1

Well he looks and sounds very intelligent and sensible not a bit like his namesake on Eastenders . Sorry I'll get my coat🫣

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

3 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Well he looks and sounds very intelligent and sensible not a bit like his namesake on Eastenders . Sorry I'll get my coat🫣

maybe but then again he got banned for assaulting touch judge back in 1997 as a player,  initially for life but then on appeal for 10 months.... so  I guess with age he has mellowed to a more sensible  sensible person.

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

maybe but then again he got banned for assaulting touch judge back in 1997 as a player,  initially for life but then on appeal for 10 months.... so  I guess with age he has mellowed to a more sensible  sensible person.

Oh really ? Didnt know that 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Hopefully this doesn't effect Salford too much.

It has got to. To what level depends on how many he recruits from there. I wonder if Salford appoint Rowley to replace him, if not I suspect he will be also going to Leeds along with a few players.

GH after the "outstanding" work comment:

"We started this season with a better-balanced squad than we'd had previously, all those recruited and retained had been done by Rohan Smith. When he came in he inherited a squad, ultimately, he's had the ability to get a squad that is his and the coaches as well."

Then in answer to the next question:

"It's fair to say our current squad lacks experienced leadership"

Blease at least will hopefully put a stop to this delusional mentality. A lot of the pressure is off him regarding the squad as there's not lots that looks like it can be done for next year as it stands (perhaps an Ash Handley leaving changes that?).

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Ian Blease 

Ian Blease 

the only one guaranteed  to please

what will he do to justify his fees?

he will attract more sponsorship from mushy peas

• Thanks 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile