The TV Thread

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I thought the new Dracula was pretty good. Almost Carry On Dracula in parts, in others quite creepy. Distinct lack of busty wenches though. ?

I was well impressed with this and am really looking forward to the rest of the series. The level of "creepyness", tension and "make you jump" moments is so very well crafted!

Watched 'And then there were none' on youtube last night. 1945 film but it as been given the colour treatment. 

Some very bad acting but quite funny in parts.

We now have a classic movie night each week courtesy of some excellent channels on youtube.

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

On 01/01/2020 at 22:40, Johnoco said:

I thought the new Dracula was pretty good. Almost Carry On Dracula in parts, in others quite creepy. Distinct lack of busty wenches though. ?

Some of Dracula’s lines gives at a bit of Dracula meets Alan Bennett feel.  Still enjoying it though. 

On 01/01/2020 at 23:36, Futtocks said:

I saw virtually no TV over Christmas, but I did see a few reviews saying that the Worzel Gummidge reboot was far better than expected. Anyone watch it?

I watched it. It was a very gentle couple of hours, surprisingly slow paced for this modern fast-cutting, minimal attention span age. If you've seen The Detectorists, also by Mackenzie Crook, it had a similar feel to that. 

I found it very different to the Jon Pertwee version, not better or worse, just different, more faithful to the original books I believe (though I haven't read them so wouldn't know).

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

The first episode of the new series of Doctor Who on New Year's Day was outstanding.

I thought this one was better than the entire last series combined. And I didn't see THAT surprise coming either :kolobok_biggrin:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I thought this one was better than the entire last series combined. And I didn't see THAT surprise coming either :kolobok_biggrin:

Same here, amazing they managed to keep that secret! 

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

I watched it (my Mrs and son are big fans) but have no idea what you are referring to. ? Maybe I wasn’t really watching properly ?

O ... I can't say anything, might spoil it for someone who hasn't seen it yet!

The Two Popes. Finished that today. Thoroughly enjoyable, even as a robust atheist, and humanised them both. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

13 minutes ago, ckn said:

The Two Popes. Finished that today. Thoroughly enjoyable, even as a robust atheist, and humanised them both. 

I’ve got that in my list . I wasn’t sure but I’ll give it a go 

Edited by DavidM

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I watched it (my Mrs and son are big fans) but have no idea what you are referring to. ? Maybe I wasn’t really watching properly ?

it was the bit when the doctor was stood up to have a pee, am sure the writers nicked that from mrs doubtfire !

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I heard episode 8 of the Mandalorean was good, but my friend says his usual place to watch was in french for some reason. I'm sure he'd like to see it for himself.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Finally catching up with Peaky Blinders. It's nonsense, of course, but it's very stylish and compels you to watch it.

If only for that amazing Nick Cave theme song.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

15 hours ago, Shadow said:

We started on Treadstone last night and binged through 3 episodes. It’s very good but I have no idea what’s happening 

I'm glad me and my Mrs aren't the only one's who have no idea what’s happening. Enjoying it though and hoping there's a "Aaaaaaa, I get it now" moment in the last episode. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

its a good job elvis didn't have to watch the masked singer, if he shot at the tv for what was on in those days - what would he do now?

Been there, done that... :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson