PNG to get at least 2 World Cup games

Enjoyed reading that. All sounding sensible so far around the international game, although nothing is actually booked in for new tournaments or RLWC's yet, so we'll have to wait and see.

It's potentially a very exciting and important few years for the international game.

Good PNG should be RL's No.1 priority any country where our game is king needs to be looked after.

Good PNG should be RL's No.1 priority any country where our game is king needs to be looked after.

Exactly, RL mad country of about 6-7 million is waiting to explode IMHO. Every NRL club should link up with a domestic png club side and invest heavily on developing young png talent, same with Fiji.

That does sound good. I assumed we would only get at most a year's notice on venues/dates, but maybe they will give us longer. Must look into how to get to Port Moresby...

One quibble - Wigan are taking their game down the M40, not the M1... no attention to detail.

In the southern hemisphere yes. Up here in the north, we need to be working on France.

France, Fiji and PNG have everything in place to at least be more than competitive against England, NZ and Australia.

What's the betting that England's three group games are in PNG, Christchurch and Perth.

You must be the most positive poster on this Forum.

Lets hope Its Brisbane, Sydney and Auckland.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Apparently the Lloyd Robson Oval will be a new 25k stadium in the next 12 months which would be great for the World Cup. The BPS stadium has just been completed and can house 15-20k.

There are some great photographs of both stadiums on the LU forum but you've probably seen them anyway.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=435285

rldfsignature.jpg

• 3 months later...

50,000 Papuans at a Rugby League game involving the PNG side would be every coppers nightmare!.. But would love to see it, it would be awesome.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

How great is that... I hope this isn't culturally insensitive, but is it dangerous to visit?

I think that, if you are careful and follow advice, it'd probably be okay, but PNG can be a dangerous place for the incautious.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

How great is that... I hope this isn't culturally insensitive, but is it dangerous to visit?

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/papua-new-guinea

Doesn't sound significantly worse than one or two towns on the M62.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Basically, yes. Crime levels are very high, almost no tourism infrastructure, official advice is not to travel alone, or at night. Port Moresby has no road connections with any other parts of PNG so you need small planes over the mountains to get around.

I'd love to go, but maybe not with the kids...

Problem is its a pissp**r country, 139th in GDP. There is little or no money to be made in PNG, and money is a necessity to develop the sport.

Africa is a football mad continent but you won't see too many (or any) clubs go there for summer tours...it's all North Amercia and Asia. Football youth academy's are everywhere throughout Africa though, perhaps that's where the emphasis on PNG should be. But again, RL needs money and that's what PNG won't provide.

There may be little money to be made in global terms but three 25,000 sellouts at PNG prices should give a reasonable amount for them to spend on local comps and grassroots.

If they can guarantee the players safety and rebuild Lloyd Robson oval to a top standard then should look to get more rep teams over there.

The RLWC won't lose money playing in PNG. The government and a number of Australian companies based in the region will underwrite the games to be at least cost neutral.

Exactly. PNG will never be a cash cow of international RL but can be self sufficient financially if they get the games.

Exactly. PNG will never be a cash cow of international RL but can be self sufficient financially if they get the games.

Stranger things have happened.

If they discovered something valuable under the ground in them there hills, PNG could be a rich nation one day.  

Archived