Worst England player

Harsh thread, but there are some pretty dodgy names when you look through the squad for the 2000 World Cup. Nathan McAvoy? Darren Rogers? Francis Stephenson?

The funny thing is that when you look at the 2002 GB side that got hammered 64-10 in Sydney, it really shouldn't have as there were plenty of good players (Karl Pratt aside) - sadly many of them were shoehorned into random positions.

That side was: Radlinski, Johnson, Wellens, Senior, Pratt, Sculthorpe, Sheridan, O'Connor, Cunningham, McDermott, Peacock, Fielden, Farrell. Bench - Joynt, Gleeson, Newton, Sinfield.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Leave it out.

Why try and denigrate any player that had the honour to be capped?

It might be seen by some as "harmless fun" but on the other hand it could have negative implications.

Retired players have enough to cope with in life without being subjected to ridicule.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Harsh thread, but there are some pretty dodgy names when you look through the squad for the 2000 World Cup. Nathan McAvoy? Darren Rogers? Francis Stephenson?

The funny thing is that when you look at the 2002 GB side that got hammered 64-10 in Sydney, it really shouldn't have as there were plenty of good players (Karl Pratt aside) - sadly many of them were shoehorned into random positions.

That side was: Radlinski, Johnson, Wellens, Senior, Pratt, Sculthorpe, Sheridan, O'Connor, Cunningham, McDermott, Peacock, Fielden, Farrell. Bench - Joynt, Gleeson, Newton, Sinfield.

Did you randomly list those players, or were those the actual positions they played??? My god...

I'm not someone who would normally denigrate RL players either. I did name Karl Pratt, because after a very bright start to his career, I felt he was already on the slide at club level when he was called up for international duties.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

To play the game even for a local amature team is tough

So denegrating players who have ( if only for a short while) reached international level is a poor thing to do

Think the original post is more looking for players who were gifted an International without actually being up to it. Carl Ablett and David Hodgson spring to mind for me.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Think the original post is more looking for players who were gifted an International without actually being up to it. Carl Ablett and David Hodgson spring to mind for me.

Absolutely. I'm not saying these players are rubbish, I wish I had half their ability. Forgot we live in a politically correct world these days..................I should re-phrase my question to 'who is the luckiest player to have played for Eng/GB since the commencement of Super League?'

Who is the worst player you have seen pull on an England or GB jersey since the start of Super League?

For me you'd have to look at the 2008 squad and Paul Sykes would be up there, with Shaun Briscoe and Lee Smith not far behind

bad post this

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

I think a much better topic, and without any ridiculing of players, would have been players who should have been internationals. I know Lewis Jones is nowadays recognised as one of the greatest, but for a long time some of those international selectors at the time refused to select him, suggesting he was weak in defence? To me Gale has been outstanding this season, but I very much doubt he will be selected, and this in a country where we have no outstanding half backs. Even worse in my opinion is selecting players who already have played for another country. I suppose we can add to the list a certain Huddersfield back who plays for Scotland.

Karl Pratt was sensational outside Keith Senior for Leeds for a two year spell leading up to his GB selection. Arguably he was Senior's most effective wing partnership in his time at Leeds. It made perfect sense to take the pair of them together but clearly it didn't work out at the higher level. Interestingly Pratt won the last of his GB caps after being told he was surplus to requirements at Leeds, with Daryl Powell being given licence to get rid of anyone he didn't much care for.

Archived