Kevin Sinfield

JohnM

technically, they are contenders - nominated by a group of the great and good. I understand the winner is chosen by public vote on the evening. On the One Show, Clare Balding spok e very highly of Sinfield.

But you know what? I wish I'd never started this topic. People moan that no one from RL ever gets nominated...and now someone from RL is nominated, people still moan. To the naysayers:just look at yourselves. Pa-bluddy-thetic.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to agree it's good news that Kevin has been nominated and it is a surprise that no rugby league player has ever been nominated. I supose the fact that England/GB haven't won anything for 40 odd years doesn't help.  It looks like a very strong competition this year, so I don't think Kevin will win.

I'm hoping for a strong showing to pave the way for a Sam Burgess triumph in 2017 after he has helped England to win the World Cup.

technically, they are contenders - nominated by a group of the great and good. I understand the winner is chosen by public vote on the evening. On the One Show, Clare Balding spok e very highly of Sinfield.

But you know what? I wish I'd never started this topic. People moan that no one from RL ever gets nominated...and now someone from RL is nominated, people still moan. To the naysayers:just look at yourselves. Pa-bluddy-thetic.

I agree.

Anyway, I won't be voting for Sinfield as his recent form has been ######.  ;)

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/ru-headlines/sinfield-s-big-night-at-yorkshire-carnegie-ends-in-loss-1-7596471

Sinfield won't win it - no international success in 2015. That's what grabs the public interest. He could still possibly place in the top three.

Team of the year - well that's all our fault apparently. We, the British public, didn't vote the right way so the Beeb took the decision out of our hands. Aren't we a bunch of rotters? :P

But the England RU team won't be winning it this year. Not even the BBC could spin that RUWC car-crash positively, Ho ho. And the Golfists didn't have a Ryder Cup this year... not that that will stop them bitching about not being gifted a trophy.

There's some good picks on SPOTY shortlist, but some are people who have achieved greatness in the kind of sports that the BBC don't like to talk about, even when they have broadcast rights.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Outstanding list this year.Outside the main team events British sport has come on in leaps and bounds in recent years.20 years ago the thought of British wins at Wimbledon,Tour De France,multiple athletic wins,rowing,cycling etc was unthinkable.

Whilst team sports will always hold the publics imagination,  the rise of these other sports has led to a decline in participation of most team based numbers. 

Get ready to vote, need to muster our forces again!

Hell No !

If he was still in our game definately, but the fact that the beeb have posted a picture of him in a Union shirt tells me they will be portraying him as a Union star NOT a league star. Us voting for him is just giving even more publicity to them which is exactly what they and the beeb want.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Got to agree it's good news that Kevin has been nominated and it is a surprise that no rugby league player has ever been nominated. I supose the fact that England/GB haven't won anything for 40 odd years doesn't help.  It looks like a very strong competition this year, so I don't think Kevin will win.

I'm hoping for a strong showing to pave the way for a Sam Burgess triumph in 2017 after he has helped England to win the World Cup.

Nail on head. We need to win an international competition, the World Cup or Four Nations to raise the game's profile.  The Davis Cup winners are inevitably going to win Team of the Year, after all they've won what amounts to the Tennis World Cup, had they lost then it's have been another matter entirely.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Hell No !

If he was still in our game definately, but the fact that the beeb have posted a picture of him in a Union shirt tells me they will be portraying him as a Union start NOT a league star. Us voting for him is just giving even more publicity to them which is exactly what they and the beeb want.

Did you hear his interview with George Riley on BBC Radio Five Live this morning? 99.5% about his rugby career and achievements.

Can we vote for who Sir Kev should headbutt on the night?

Are you on the list?

Sinfield hasn't a chance of winning but it's good to see a (former) Rugby League player recognised.

The front page of today's daily wail has the headline "why Andy Murray is Britain's greatest ever sportsman"

That's what we are up against.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Did you hear his interview with George Riley on BBC Radio Five Live this morning? 99.5% about his rugby career and achievements.

But you just know on SPOFTY there will be 30 seconds of Sinfield in league then another 2 minutes of his switch to yawnion. He'll be built up to be a world rugby superstar then Union will be hailed as the sport that attracts the best in the world.

Its just how the yawnion loving beeb are !

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

This thread is about the perfect summary of rugby league fans. Maybe if we stopped moaning for a sec and got organised and voted then we'd have a chance of a podium or maybe even better for rugby league. Take the opportunities to be in the limelight.

I'm pretty sure a lot of non-Saints fans voted for them in the 2006 Team of the Year victory. I know I did, and not just because it was RL, but because they had had a spectacular year.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This thread is about the perfect summary of rugby league fans. Maybe if we stopped moaning for a sec and got organised and voted then we'd have a chance of a podium or maybe even better for rugby league. Take the opportunities to be in the limelight.

Actually it is a perfect summary of RL + SPOTYA. A RL player for the first time ever gets a nomination after all the superb sportsmen that have ever played the game, he has retired from RL in favour of playing another sport which and to quote KS he always wanted to play and wouldn't have liked to stop playing without giving it a try. There is little limelight available here for the sport of RL which of course Sinfield no longer plays.

Great to see a RL player nominated after god knows how long of the concept being in existence.. Always thought we'd have to win a world cup on home soil and have a player who was an absolute stand out to even get a nomination but happy to be proved wrong.

Looking at the nominations Kev should fare well, at least we'll see more than the customary blink and you'll miss it coverage of CC final and one England game. Though sure they'll be some RU thrown in for good measure.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Actually it is a perfect summary of RL + SPOTYA. A RL player for the first time ever gets a nomination after all the superb sportsmen that have ever played the game, he has retired from RL in favour of playing another sport which and to quote KS he always wanted to play and wouldn't have liked to stop playing without giving it a try. There is little limelight available here for the sport of RL which of course Sinfield no longer plays.

Indeed. I am delighted for Kevin - he has been a great player, and he has led his team to great success this year, but then I think there are loads of champion players in RL who could have been nominated over the years. 

I know he gets praise as club captain, but Jamie Peacock didn't manage to get the same plaudits, despite an equally glittering career coming to an end. Now, what is the difference between Sinfield and Peacock? 

Anyway, would be great if Sinfield won, it would be great promotion for Yorkshire Carnegie RUFC - hmmm.

Sam Burgess became a sportsman worthy of widespread discussion when he moved to RU, and the exact same is happening here. It reinforces the view that to make your name in this country outside of RL circles, you need to move to Rugby Union.

That said, I will be voting for him, and RL will get some good publicity as it will obviously have features on his achievements this year. It will be interesting to see how prominent the Yorkshire Carnegie badges are during his features though.

People talk about how the profile of players in the 90's was higher, but tbh a lot of that was based around Union converts - Davies, Offiah, Tuigamala etc. The majority of Rugby League articles in the 6 months prior to the RUWC mentioned Rugby Union in them in the mainstream media. 

RL is only interesting to these people when there is a RU link.

Whether you agree or not, in discussing the nominations on TalkSport, Brian Moore was running through the candidates and got to Sinfield - `minor sport, not on terrestrial television' - as a summary of why it would be difficult for him to win. He also wondered whether that lack of terrestrial coverage was why Joe Root or Stuart Broad hadn't made it on to the shortlist.

Whether you agree or not, in discussing the nominations on TalkSport, Brian Moore was running through the candidates and got to Sinfield - `minor sport, not on terrestrial television' - as a summary of why it would be difficult for him to win. He also wondered whether that lack of terrestrial coverage was why Joe Root or Stuart Broad hadn't made it on to the shortlist.

I'm sure I saw Sinfield lift the Challenge Cup live on BBC One.

I then watched the highlights on the BBC of him lifting the Super League Trophy.

I also saw Sean O'Loughlin lift the Baskerville shield on BBC One now that Sinfield has retired.

But hey, it's in certain people's interests to keep the perception that RL has sold it's soul to Murdoch.

Archived