Kevin Sinfield

JohnM

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether you agree or not, in discussing the nominations on TalkSport, Brian Moore was running through the candidates and got to Sinfield - `minor sport, not on terrestrial television' - as a summary of why it would be difficult for him to win. He also wondered whether that lack of terrestrial coverage was why Joe Root or Stuart Broad hadn't made it on to the shortlist.

Assuming that is not the ITV football commentator, not saying he has a typical Boss jack booted agenda, but he has.

For mine, happy to vote for him as a leaguie, but I am not sure his achievements are comparable to others on the list. In this case, even the Vs won't be able to sell this as their achievement. His squash club would have as much credibility.

Hell No !

If he was still in our game definately, but the fact that the beeb have posted a picture of him in a Union shirt tells me they will be portraying him as a Union star NOT a league star. Us voting for him is just giving even more publicity to them which is exactly what they and the beeb want.

They took it off pretty sharpish and put him back with a rugby shirt on.

They have to mention the huge achievements of this year, it can't be a union propaganda spot no matter how hard they try.

Get voting!! ☺

Whether you agree or not, in discussing the nominations on TalkSport, Brian Moore was running through the candidates and got to Sinfield - `minor sport, not on terrestrial television' - as a summary of why it would be difficult for him to win. He also wondered whether that lack of terrestrial coverage was why Joe Root or Stuart Broad hadn't made it on to the shortlist.

He must be talking about union.

Seems facts are not Moores strong suit.

I'm sure the BBC will be keeping an eye on the voting!

I'm sure they will be as they're in charge of the award...

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

I'm pretty sure a lot of non-Saints fans voted for them in the 2006 Team of the Year victory. I know I did, and not just because it was RL, but because they had had a spectacular year.

I certainly voted for them, and that last thing I'd describe myself as is a Saints fan.  But I am a Rugby League fan, and yes I have a huge chip on my shoulder!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

This is the first one I'll be voting in

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Actually it is a perfect summary of RL + SPOTYA. A RL player for the first time ever gets a nomination after all the superb sportsmen that have ever played the game, he has retired from RL in favour of playing another sport which and to quote KS he always wanted to play and wouldn't have liked to stop playing without giving it a try. There is little limelight available here for the sport of RL which of course Sinfield no longer plays.

They can't really talk all that much about his union achievements though. Our only nomination in the history of the award has to be an improvement.

Sinfield is probably being nominated as a career reward (similar to Ryan Giggs, who ridiculously won it).

In terms of achievement, Tyson Fury is head and shoulders #1 and ordinarily would win. However he's a traveller who is part of a marginalised community, plus he's said outlandish things only three weeks ago. He should win but he won't.

Murray and Hamilton have already won it so that will likely preclude them, plus Murray will be in the team award.

If Fury doesnt win then it should be Mo Farah. Another double gold from arguably the greatest British athlete ever. I've heard talk of Jessica Ennis being favourite which is a farce. Her achievement doesn't come close to Farah's or Fury's for that matter....but she's a media darling, "golden girl".

Murray and Hamilton have already won it so that will likely preclude them, plus Murray will be in the team award.

I dont get this obsession with Murray. Okay he's won a couple of the minor tournaments this year but hasnt won a Grand Slam tournament for over 2 years.

And besides which, its called sports PERSONALITY of the year and Murry doesn't have one !

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Sinfield is probably being nominated as a career reward (similar to Ryan Giggs, who ridiculously won it).

In terms of achievement, Tyson Fury is head and shoulders #1 and ordinarily would win. However he's a traveller who is part of a marginalised community, plus he's said outlandish things only three weeks ago. He should win but he won't.

If Fury doesnt win then it should be Mo Farah. Another double gold from arguably the greatest British athlete ever. I've heard talk of Jessica Ennis being favourite which is a farce. Her achievement doesn't come close to Farah's or Fury's for that matter....but she's a media darling, "golden girl".

I suppose a lot depends on your perception of what is a sport.  I personally don't consider F1 a sport, and I'd ban boxing.  I think your assessment of Jess Ennis is incredibly sexist.  She competes in a sport that is incredibly taxing, especially on a woman who has had a child.  I'd like to see Kev win it, he's a nice guy and  he's been a great player and ambassador for our game.  But I'd settle for Jess.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Lizzie Armitstead: British and World Champion. Doesn't really get the acclaim (yet) that Hoy or Pendleton did, but that may come in the future.

Lucy Bronze: Her team finished in the, er, Bronze position in the World Cup. She and the team played well, but have no trophy to show for it.

Jessica Ennis-Hill: Won her second World Championship. Hugely popular, too. CONTENDER

Mo Farah: Superb again, in an otherwise troubled year. His 6th and 7th global titles in a row. CONTENDER

Chris Froome: Went one better than Bradley Wiggins by winning the TdF twice, in the face of some pretty unpleasant xenophobia from the French media and public. CONTENDER

Tyson Fury: World Heavyweight Champion. And winning against a top opponent, too, instead of gunning for one of the lesser champions. Some of the soundbites from him, like conflating homosexuality with paedophilia and threatening a journalist with violence, will count against his chances. CONTENDER

Lewis Hamilton: Three-times World Champion. A major achievement for anyone not called Michael Schumacher or Juan Manuel Fangio. I'm not a F1 fan, but you have to expect he will get a lot of votes from those who are. CONTENDER

Andy Murray: Linchpin of GB's first Davis Cup win since before WWII. Other than that, one Grand Slam final and two semi-finals and finishing the year as World #2. So, not his best year overall, but the Cup win was recent enough to be in voters' minds. CONTENDER

Adam Peaty: Three golds at the World Swimming Championships. A very impressive year all round.

Greg Rutherford: Currently holds the Commonwealth, European, Olympic and World titles. Impressive, but he does tend to get overshadowed by Ennis and Farah when it comes to Athletics.

Kevin Sinfield: We all know about him. A great year for Leeds and the end of a long and rewarding career.

Max Whitlock: Or, as Gary Lineker called him 'Max Hastings'. :D First British World Champion in the entire history of Gymnastics. A brilliant athlete by any standard.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

For me its always going to be harder for a team sport player to win this (understandably) - with the exception of football due to its sheer popularity.

As good as Sinfield has been in his sport, the sport he competes in lends itself much bigger margins for error due to the help he gets from his team mates/rules of the game.  For example, one error for a heavy weight boxer like Fury on Saturday night could end the contest  (in an unpleasent way) within seconds.  Additionally Sinfield wasnt classed as the best player playing in his competition last year (let alone the world) nor has he won anything at an interntional level.  With this in mind Sinfield, rightly, has no chance against the Tyson Furies, Chris Froomes, Lewis Hamiltons, Jessica Ennias Hills, Farahs of this world who have all won individual (appreciate some of these compete as individuals affiliated with teams) global competitions and are largely considered the world champions in their  comps. 

I dont get this obsession with Murray. Okay he's won a couple of the minor tournaments this year but hasnt won a Grand Slam tournament for over 2 years.

And besides which, its called sports PERSONALITY of the year and Murry doesn't have one !

You wouldn't want to be trapped in a lift with Nigel Mansell or Lewis Hamilton for any length of time but they've both had the SPOTY trophy on their mantelpiece.

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived