07 Feb: Kingstone Press Championship Round 1 Match Thread

Would you like to see individual match threads posted for Championship games this season?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see individual match threads posted for Championship games this season?

• Yes
    • No

Discuss all this weekend's Kingstone Press Championship games here & vote in the poll!

07 Feb: CC: Batley Bulldogs v Leigh Centurions KO 3pm

07 Feb: CC: Bradford Bulls v Featherstone Rovers KO 3pm

07 Feb: CC: Halifax v Whitehaven KO 3pm

07 Feb: CC: Oldham v London Broncos KO 3pm

07 Feb: CC: Swinton Lions v Dewsbury Rams KO 3pm

07 Feb: CC: Workington Town v Sheffield Eagles KO 3pm

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

Sheffield will lose at Workington. Leigh v Batley will be very close. Fev to beat Bulls by 4. Oldham to win by 12. Fax by 50 and Dewsbury by 10

Sheffield will lose at Town ? I hope you are right but I can't see it, we are going into the new season with 18 fit players and missing the likes of Sammut, Stack and Brett Phillips.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Aside from Widnes Fev were the best side at Odsal last season. However, first game up and no Aussie superstar playmaker I think we should win a patchy game.

Bulls +12

For the season... Usual suspects top two, word is out on Fax - so no flying under the radar this year, Dewsbury defo dark horses, Batley for scalps, Sheffield for bruises and jumpers for goalposts. Landon, Oldham and the Jam Eaters who knows.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

Aside from Widnes Fev were the best side at Odsal last season. However, first game up and no Aussie superstar playmaker I think we should win a patchy game.

Bulls +12

Can't say I disagree - Fev will have no fear, especially after last time out at Odsal, and a few of the Leeds lads plus the old "first game out" magic means anything really could happen. Think we'll edge it, as we owe Fev one really and we have a point to prove in 2016 but Rovers will be no mugs.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Not a surprise if Oldham win based on the London performance art Dewsbury which was very poor indeed. Coupled with the Coach confessing the side remains lightweight in a forward dominated one-out Rugby League.

I hope some players realise that their future as full time professionals hangs on this season and a decent top four showing. Given the state of the club and everything else that has gone on since 2009, some will be gertting theri excuse not to go this year (and some of us are still waiting for their membership cards.....) Its on the pitch that counts, more so for the Broncos than other teams.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

With the new,full time,back in Sheffield,Sheffield Eagles epoch commencing in Cumbria,and with the end of the regular Championship campaign also in Cumbria,a confidence-boosting start against an injury depleted Workington side will be very important,with the knowledge that other sides travelling to Cumbria will not have it easy throughout the remainder of the season.

Of course what happens in between the 2 visits to Cumbria will be more important.

I'm just pleased to get the campaign underway.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Sheffield will lose at Workington. Leigh v Batley will be very close. Fev to beat Bulls by 4. Oldham to win by 12. Fax by 50 and Dewsbury by 10

Sheffield will win easy fax just against haven the rest will all be home wins

Workington will have 7 genuine first team players missing today but the bare bones of what is left of the squad will see how strong our 25 man squad really is.    I hope the Sheffield team are as cocky as some of the people posting their predictions,  ;)  ;)

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Not bad for the Bulls today - Fev gave it a good go right to the end and I think overall they look a much better team than last year.

Very much an "opening round" performance and the conditions really played their part but I think both sides will come away with not too much to grumble about. Enjoyable stuff.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

So much for beaumonts claim they'd go unbeaten, fell at first hurdle. Wonder what excuses will be rolled out. Out of interest where did Brierley play?

Brierley in the halves and Chase at full back according to Twitter teamsheet

Archived