Kev sinfield appointed director of rugby at RFL

I think this appointment was always going attract criticism based on his lack of experience.

But the appointment of an experienced club man would have been criticised for not offering anything new and jobs for the boys while the appointment of somebody from outside the game would be criticised for having no insight into our sport.

Ultimately I would take a respected and clearly intelligent and thoughtful guy like a Sinfield and ask him to think differently and see what can be done to improve the game than let him learn the ropes at a club and hear what can't be done and what shouldn't be done.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I think this appointment was always going attract criticism based on his lack of experience.

But the appointment of an experienced club man would have been criticised for not offering anything new and jobs for the boys while the appointment of somebody from outside the game would be criticised for having no insight into our sport.

Ultimately I would take a respected and clearly intelligent and thoughtful guy like a Sinfield and ask him to think differently and see what can be done to improve the game than let him learn the ropes at a club and hear what can't be done and what shouldn't be done.

Indeed. Hopefully his enthusiasm will not be quelled. If he's as diligent and tenacious as he was as a player then he will be ok. Good luck to the lad.

KS is an intelligent, committed and conscientious person.

He'll be learning on the job, yes, but I doubt he'll be anybody's fool.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Although I have my doubts about his experience, I also have doubts about how much, in that I presume nothing but could be very wrong, he has already been doing behind the scenes already. Maybe Leeds, maybe someone can throw some light on it, have been using him in some role that gives him experience in the position that we don't know about.

I wish him all the best in the role, he has certainly been a great servant to Leeds and hope he can be the same for RL in general.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Another key part of Wood's statement was this:

“This appointment is one of a number of significant executive announcements that we will be making in the coming months.”

Can't wait! Just what the RFL needs, a shake up and some fresh blood!

Whether people approve of the current RL administration or not, they do have fair bit of experience already doing what Sinfield will now do. So if initially he is just going to be a relatively high profile figurehead, who will grow into the role by 2021, then great. Let's remember Sally Bolton is still on the RLEF board, so if people suggest RLWC2013 was mainly due to her, she is easily called upon

Some people are right doomsters.

Excellent appointment by the RFL, Sinfield is one of the best players of his generation, totally respected in the sport and widely so outside it. He has a national profile, is a serious, dedicated and intelligent individual who could have very probably found a lucrative role somewhere in English RU.

For sure it is a role with plenty of challenges but he is up to it I am sure. The hardest bit for him on a daily basis given he still lives in the Oldham area will be remembering whether it is a turn left or turn right morning when he gets to the M62.

Not sure how I feel about this appointment. On one hand its good that we're keeping high profile players like him in the game but putting someone with next to no experience into such a high level role is a bit amateurish, but I suppose that just about sums up the RFL.

I hope he makes a success of the job but I can't really see him being able to really progress the sport like an experienced person could.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Not sure how I feel about this appointment. On one hand its good that we're keeping high profile players like him in the game but putting someone with next to no experience into such a high level role is a bit amateurish, but I suppose that just about sums up the RFL.

I hope he makes a success of the job but I can't really see him being able to really progress the sport like an experienced person could.

Very similar to my thoughts. Sinfield should be cutting his teeth at club level before going anywhere near a senior policy Director appointment. 

This could be a great appointment if done right.

I would love to see him tasked with improving the image and media profile of the game.

Ideally situated to work with the top people in the BBC.

Lets not overlook this man has integrity, he won't just be doing the job to further his own ends.

An intelligent man, with a good media profile, drive, a rugby league background working at the RFL.

I find this appointment quite positive.

This could be a great appointment if done right.

I would love to see him tasked with improving the image and media profile of the game.

Ideally situated to work with the top people in the BBC.

Lets not overlook this man has integrity, he won't just be doing the job to further his own ends.

An intelligent man, with a good media profile, drive, a rugby league background working at the RFL.

I find this appointment quite positive.

i expect image and media profile of the game is not in the remit of Director of Rugby

i expect image and media profile of the game is not in the remit of Director of Rugby

The following comes under his job description according to the RFL website.

Working closely with the commercial, marketing, communications and events teams in Quay West, Sinfield will be involved in various projects with a focus on business development, event support and post-career player development. - See more at: http://www.rugby-league.com/article/38328/sinfield-joins-rfl-as-rugby-director#sthash.8PlozfAL.dpuf

The following comes under his job description according to the RFL website.

Working closely with the commercial, marketing, communications and events teams in Quay West, Sinfield will be involved in various projects with a focus on business development, event support and post-career player development. - See more at: http://www.rugby-league.com/article/38328/sinfield-joins-rfl-as-rugby-director#sthash.8PlozfAL.dpuf

cheers, hadnt read the full thing. Sounds like they will use him as a face of RL rather than him running them.

Sounds more like an amassadorial role apart from leading the Performance Review. In fact it sounds like a right mish mash! I prefer really focused roles with very clear responsibilities.

Good luck to him!!!

Very similar to my thoughts. Sinfield should be cutting his teeth at club level before going anywhere near a senior policy Director appointment.

I don't think we should allow ourselves to compare this role with similar in the commercial world. The piece Tex linked to gives a broad brush JD and not really specific enough for comparison anyway.

But the line that he will 'split his time' etc, would concern anyone applying at that level, who would want something more specific. Maybe he got that.

Despite playing alongside Peacock, I believe he is professional and impartial enough to report accurately enough on the 4 N, of which JP has responsibilities. Hopefully he can also give similar detail on Bennetts performance.

I think it's a major positive appointment we now have someone who understands the game of rugby league and what makes it tick .

The management and business side of the role will develop in time , exciting times for grass roots rugby league .

Well done to the RFL great appointment .

Archived