Magic Weekend in New York

That's according to this... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/44191402

Mind you, that's not what Ralph Rimmer said, but merely him not discounting a hypothetical question.

"Could the Magic Weekend move to Mogadishu?" might have received a similar answer. But, that notwithstanding, I've heard of worse ideas!

Go for it. Let's give the Americans a shot at promoting a big event and see what they can do. Get a big crowd of locals to come and if the players deliver on the pitch it could have quite an impact. 

It would be a bold move but I reckon bold is required if we want to get the USA's attention. 

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

Well it's good to see there are so many interested parties, it could potentially ignite a bidding war and RL would be mad not to follow the best financial package. The sad thing is, this event hasn't even reached its potential yet, so there is so much more money that could be made from it. 

If it was to be in the US, then I don't think New York would be a good idea, because of the weather and also as there will be so much on at the same time. I think Tampa, Miami or Jacksonville would be better, due to the guaranteed good weather, which would suit sitting in an open stadium all day. But of course, it comes from the cities bidding. 

5 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Well it's good to see there are so many interested parties, it could potentially ignite a bidding war and RL would be mad not to follow the best financial package. The sad thing is, this event hasn't even reached its potential yet, so there is so much more money that could be made from it. 

If it was to be in the US, then I don't think New York would be a good idea, because of the weather and also as there will be so much on at the same time. I think Tampa, Miami or Jacksonville would be better, due to the guaranteed good weather, which would suit sitting in an open stadium all day. But of course, it comes from the cities bidding. 

To get the most possible visitors, they'd be best doing it back holiday weekend over the half term so families can go (and teachers!).

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

It's a terrible idea to hold it in NY. Magic should be for the regular fans who can make the trip easily on a weekend with the family. This would just be for the wealthy few.

That said, it is a bit rich that many of those complaining on social media about the lack of Toronto and Toulouse fans at Magic are the same ones complaining about not being able to potentially go to New York for it.

Another crackpot idea by GHQ. If it’s such a great financial weekend keep it in the UK for god’s sake. Why take it to a place where they not only don’t play the game,most Yanks wouldn’t even have heard of Rugby League. Why should the fans have to fork out a couple of grand to follow their team? A lot of fans can only afford to go to home games,never mind go to the States. And another thing,anybody who has a criminal conviction won’t get a visa and that will include a whole lot of players too. Bet the wombles at GHQ didn’t think of that. HELLO.

Could it be a case that the UK market has been saturated? The crowd at the magic weekend hasn’t seen any significant growth, the CC final has had poor attendances, and the RFL pretty much have to give tickets away for internationals.

By looking at new markets the RFL and SL have an oppprtunity to improve revenues. 

46 minutes ago, DiddyDave said:

Another crackpot idea by GHQ. If it’s such a great financial weekend keep it in the UK for god’s sake.

If you're going to use the financial argument, it could end up being far more lucrative holding it abroad. It isn't at present, but if someone offers the right amount...

47 minutes ago, DiddyDave said:

Why take it to a place where they not only don’t play the game,most Yanks wouldn’t even have heard of Rugby League

To spread the game obviously. 

48 minutes ago, DiddyDave said:

Why should the fans have to fork out a couple of grand to follow their team? A lot of fans can only afford to go to home games,never mind go to the States.

They don't HAVE to do anything. Fans have a choice. No one is holding a gun to their heads and say "spend this." I hate this argument that is so regularly trotted out by people who only want games in their backyard so they can see everything.

Those fans that can only afford home games - why should this affect them? If they can't afford to go to Magic Weekend even at Newcastle, it doesn't really matter where it's held then does it!

50 minutes ago, DiddyDave said:

And another thing,anybody who has a criminal conviction won’t get a visa

Don't get criminal convictions then!

51 minutes ago, DiddyDave said:

that will include a whole lot of players too. Bet the wombles at GHQ didn’t think of that. HELLO.

Again, don't get a criminal conviction then!

It doesn't seem to have been a problem for people going to Canada. I'm pretty sure you don't need a visa for a short trip anyway. I think you apply for visa waivers from the top of my head, but someone will know more than me.

Regardless, I don't think progress of the game should be held back because some f***wits have broken the law and can't travel. If anything, it would be a good deterrent for people to behave themselves.

4 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Could it be a case that the UK market has been saturated? The crowd at the magic weekend hasn’t seen any significant growth, the CC final has had poor attendances, and the RFL pretty much have to give tickets away for internationals.

By looking at new markets the RFL and SL have an oppprtunity to improve revenues. 

Exactly. We've created an event that other areas apparently want. If they take it, and it leaves a hole in the "weekend away for the UK fans" market, then we create another event.

We could either do the Challenge Cup Magic Weekend approach for the rounds leading up to the final, or hold a nines tournament on the same weekend as the CCF to get more fans down and involved.

23 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

If you're going to use the financial argument, it could end up being far more lucrative holding it abroad. It isn't at present, but if someone offers the right amount...

To spread the game obviously. 

They don't HAVE to do anything. Fans have a choice. No one is holding a gun to their heads and say "spend this." I hate this argument that is so regularly trotted out by people who only want games in their backyard so they can see everything.

Those fans that can only afford home games - why should this affect them? If they can't afford to go to Magic Weekend even at Newcastle, it doesn't really matter where it's held then does it!

Don't get criminal convictions then!

Again, don't get a criminal conviction then!

It doesn't seem to have been a problem for people going to Canada. I'm pretty sure you don't need a visa for a short trip anyway. I think you apply for visa waivers from the top of my head, but someone will know more than me.

Regardless, I don't think progress of the game should be held back because some f***wits have broken the law and can't travel. If anything, it would be a good deterrent for people to behave themselves.

That’s a bit naive isn’t it, most people will have convictions going back years and if they’re drug related,that’s the end of it. Canada and the States have the same entry criteria by the way. You call it progress of the game,I say that’s a load of male genitals,and has been for years. Just a jolly away for the Super League players and those fans lucky enough to have a few grand in the bank. 

An interesting idea, but Oh Dear, the usual bleatings about poverty stricken RL fans. The majority of our sport's fans don't have to travel more than about fifteen times a season to support their club away from home, and many of these trips are little more than a short bus/train/car ride away. Throw in Wembley, OT and a couple of internationals and it's still not an overly onerous schedule. Compare that with soccer or ice hockey, both of which take from the same demographic and both play nearly twice the number of matches in a season. 

9 minutes ago, DiddyDave said:

That’s a bit naive isn’t it, most people will have convictions going back years and if they’re drug related,that’s the end of it. Canada and the States have the same entry criteria by the way. You call it progress of the game,I say that’s a load of male genitals,and has been for years. Just a jolly away for the Super League players and those fans lucky enough to have a few grand in the bank. 

So to check my understanding, you would turn down an opportunity to promote the game in a new market and turn down a potential financial benefit for the sake of an unknown (but probably tiny) number of criminal with drug-related convictions?

11 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

So to check my understanding, you would turn down an opportunity to promote the game in a new market and turn down a potential financial benefit for the sake of an unknown (but probably tiny) number of criminal with drug-related convictions?

No,I only mentioned convictions of any kind because it would prevent some fans and players from going,that’s all. See you there then with your new market and financial benefit,as per usual propped up by Sky TV.

10 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I'd hope that should such an event as MW in NY transpire, they wouldn't be relying on a few dodgy characters with a bit of bird on their CV to fill the place.

Crazy idea but wouldn't they primarily aim to get Americans to attend?

Liverpool is not known for being an affluent city and their football club has more than a few iffy supporters (with perms and tashes probably). Yet somehow I suspect that they won't be lacking support in Kiev on Saturday night in the European Cup or whatever it is. Always excuses in RL, every time.

To qualify that, LFC has far more fans than British rugby league.  Liverpool fans in Scandinavia could fill the ground in Kiev.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

I'd suggest we take the ' Bash ' to Vegas 1 st as a tester ;)

Maybe not such a bad idea.

There those who say that to go forward we need big city clubs in the UK that NA can identify with, BUT that did not bother the natives of Toronto apparently seemingly they would not know or have heard of Whitehaven, Barrow, Hemel or even their best attendance in Doncaster but they went along to the games, on that respect will the natives and visitors to Las Vegas be any different?

They would be curious to go along to watch a game a RL wouldn't they? Irrespective who was playing because tgey do not know a succesful team/town from another and the occasion of having a jamboree of rugby league matches should entice a large crowd, for have we not had it suggested on more than one occasion that visiting fans should not come into the equation,  it is up to the home venue to market and sell it properly!

36 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I'd hope that should such an event as MW in NY transpire,

Seriously, so do I.

It would be a simple function to see where the tickets for those in attendance have come from, to calculate the travellers from the residents.

We can then see the attitude to the game over there and then shove the excersize on, or confine it to the bin

New York worth a try, even if only to see how they market the event. It would either jump start more teams in n America or kill it off. Money talks, all clubs could benefit if a good deal is done. But don’t commit to more than one season until after 1st weekend there. Other sports have played show piece games there. Italy’s football super cup has been played over there a few times. 

I don't know why some people are upset about this; it's a decent idea and presumably they will only do it if the money and plan to promote it is there.

I don't think we should get hung up on the idea that all twelve clubs would have to be there. No reason you couldn't have, say, a double header involving Wigan, Toronto, Leeds and Hull in New York, with parallel cards on the same day with Warrington v St Helens and Salford v Widnes at Anfield, Catalans v Huddersfield and Toulouse v Castleford in Montpellier on the Sunday. 6+ games in one event in one weekend is far too much for a brand new audience to sit and watch.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, DiddyDave said:

No,I only mentioned convictions of any kind because it would prevent some fans and players from going,that’s all. See you there then with your new market and financial benefit,as per usual propped up by Sky TV.

What's that supposed to mean? It's a statement I see all the time and it's just nonsense.

SL creates a product - a competitive, high-level, sporting competition - and Sky buy that product, and sell it on to television viewers. It's a business arrangement. Nothing to do with propping anything up.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

10 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I don't know why some people are upset about this; it's a decent idea and presumably they will only do it if the money and plan to promote it is there.

I don't think we should get hung up on the idea that all twelve clubs would have to be there. No reason you couldn't have, say, a double header involving Wigan, Toronto, Leeds and Hull in New York, with parallel cards on the same day with Warrington v St Helens and Salford v Widnes at Anfield, Catalans v Huddersfield and Toulouse v Castleford in Montpellier on the Sunday. 6+ games in one event in one weekend is far too much for a brand new audience to sit and watch.

Indeed.

I very much agree.  How many clubs would not make a big loss from losing a home game and would bring a large number of fans?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived