Sign in to follow this  
ckn

Dear Diary

On 02/09/2019 at 19:02, tonyXIII said:

There is something intensely satisfying about using a fly swat to kill the buggers. Unfortunately, you need the fly to settle somewhere first. The ones here just keep flying and I end up playing a crazy form of tennis, trying to hit them 'on the fly'. After ten minutes, I give up and wage chemical warfare on them.

Then I hit them with the fly swat!

I find using a tea towel as a whip quite effective, whilst they are mid-flight.

• Like 1

On 02/09/2019 at 13:36, ckn said:

I've just purchased this fine piece of equipment to kill the flies that keep coming in from the fields. The problem with living in the countryside is that any open window and a bit of wind is an invitation for flies to come in. I'm fed up of it.  15 years in this house and I've had enough of the flies.

The main reason people seem to give it 4* instead of 5* is that it makes quite a sound when it fries a fly. I will gladly celebrate every time I hear it go off.

I had to evict a spider from the house last week that wasn't pulling its weight in stopping the flying beasties. If they want to live here rent free then they pay in labour or get booted out. The pic below was it in a pint glass, the Suffolk spiders can get a bit big, it's probably us living with two nuclear power plants 30 miles each way of us.

image.png

An hour ago I would have laughed at you lot. Then I caught a beastie like the one above.

fir the first time In my life have I have had a   Bite. Just below my little finger, two puncture marks !

C0294A86-DD63-4664-9DA9-104158FAB32C.jpeg

Edited by Bearman

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

1 hour ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

I find using a tea towel as a whip quite effective, whilst they are mid-flight.

I'll have to try that.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

9 minutes ago, Bearman said:

An hour ago I would have laughed at you lot. Then I caught a beastie like the one above.

fir the first time In my life have I have had a   Bite. Just below my little finger, two puncture marks !

Do you live in Australia?

If so, get to a hospital fast!

If not, you'll probably live. 😈

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

19 minutes ago, Bearman said:

It all depends if it injected venom or not.   I've had alot of spider bites in the Bush and if you scratch them (they are very itchy) you can rip the skin and causes a large deep scab.

Spider bites, and the resulting sores, take a long time to heal.  Put rubbing alcohol on as soon as possible.   You'll be okay...remember Bearman I used to actually live in Lane Cove, where the infamous killer spiders roam!

lane cove.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bearman said:

If the Spider was radioactive you can look forward to a life of crime fighting in a colourful Lycra suit

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bearman said:

P.S.

I survived the night. Which is more than the Cardinal Spider did!

• Like 2

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

4 hours ago, Shadow said:

If the Spider was radioactive you can look forward to a life of crime fighting in a colourful Lycra suit

Just think of the advantages though for an ageing rugby player, knock-ons become almost unheard of and tackles mean you don't have to move far from half-way.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/brit-dad-flies-easyjet-plane-to-spain-himself-after-pilot-doesnt-show-up/ar-AAGNGoI?ocid=spartandhp

This is a great story, true dedication to his holiday, made my day. I can imagine the look on passengers faces.

• Like 1

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

12 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/brit-dad-flies-easyjet-plane-to-spain-himself-after-pilot-doesnt-show-up/ar-AAGNGoI?ocid=spartandhp

This is a great story, true dedication to his holiday, made my day. I can imagine the look on passengers faces.

HOw did the passengers at the other end waiting to come home get back.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

12 hours ago, Padge said:

HOw did the passengers at the other end waiting to come home get back.

DKDC

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

Strawberry gazpatch for lunch. Food of angels and very easy to make. (old photo, couldn't be bothered with taking a new one)

IMG_4956.jpg

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

On 03/09/2019 at 12:01, ckn said:

Welcome to my life... as much of my life is NHS and healthcare stuff I get advert after advert for medical and clinical products. I read one article about healthcare recruitment last week and I had an entire day of adverts trying to get me to sign up to healthcare jobsites and get me to hire recruiters to solve all my recruitment problems.

This week, I’ve been getting these adverts:

2614D8EE-48A0-4093-BC91-F7EA9CD153F4.jpeg

And my phone’s browser is giving me these search suggestions before I even start typing:

4706DA4C-DC83-4AA5-A43F-B96C8A22BD1E.jpeg

Now, to those fine chaps out there in the SIS, GCHQ and other places, if you’re monitoring my phone, would you kindly mind deleting your presence from my phone so I can go back to crappy medical adverts?

This could only happen in France.

A man on a business trip goes back to a hotel room with a stranger, has sex, and dies of a heart attack. The French courts have decreed that because he was on a business trip his company are liable for an industrial accident, and will have to pay compensation to his family!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49662134

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

It is well known that as one ages one shrinks.

I used to be exactly 6ft tall. Today I was measured at the hospital and was found to be 5' 11".

The worst thing is that with my weight I am even more under height than I should be. I still maintain that I am under tall for my weight.

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

On 13/09/2019 at 18:34, Bearman said:

It is well known that as one ages one shrinks.

I used to be exactly 6ft tall. Today I was measured at the hospital and was found to be 5' 11".

The worst thing is that with my weight I am even more under height than I should be. I still maintain that I am under tall for my weight.

You'll be ok when go back to proper imperial and not this EU sneakily adjusted imperial one.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Yesterday, after the storms, my wife and I left our house (which has a Town centre postcode) to walk along the canal. Due to a housing development, the canal has been reopened/extended. We walked the 1 mile to the new pub and had a couple of pints, sat overlooking the canal. On the way back, 3 deer ran out of the long grass and then hid in some more long grass. 

A nice walk in the sunshine. 

A nice pub, with great company. 

As well as the deer, we saw swans, ducks, two herons (one flying low to the water), kingfishers and plenty of rabbits. 

All this is just a 10min walk from the Town centre of a town with over 200000 people. 

I love my home town! 😀 

• Like 1

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

9 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Absolutely smashed Only Connect AND University Challenge tonight. Let me down lightly; were they both a bit easier than usual? 

The Only Connect wall was definitely easier this week

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

58 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

The Only Connect wall was definitely easier this week

As were the 'What comes next in the sequence?'. Love those missing vowels ones too. Fantastic.

Edited by Northern Eel

Can you still do the Connect Wall "As Live" on the BBC website?

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

I put a single lottery ticket on for tonight.  If no-one else wants that £169m, I suppose I can have it.

On 09/09/2019 at 14:02, ckn said:

Strawberry gazpatch for lunch. Food of angels and very easy to make. (old photo, couldn't be bothered with taking a new one)

IMG_4956.jpg

You're a remainer aren't you ? Eating foreign stuff is a dead give away 😉

• Haha 2

I've discovered the joy, yes I mean JOY, of shaving my head, with a razor, in the shower every other morning.

Absolutely love the feel of my big bald slap head! 😀

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2014 Challenged Cup Winner