Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

27 Oct: Ireland v Scotland KO 2pm (BBC Online)

Who will win?  

24 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Ireland by 13 points or more
    • Ireland by 7 to 12 points
    • Ireland by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Scotland by 1 to 6 points
    • Scotland by 7 to 12 points
    • Scotland by 13 points or more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/10/18 at 13:00

2 hours ago, wackojacko said:

AFAIK 7 of the Irish 19 and 6 of the Scottish 19 are born-and-bred.

Ireland team was:

Grix, McMahon, Higginson, Bentley, Ryan; McNally, Finn; Byrne, O’Donnell, King; McCarthy, Hope, Bienek.

subs: Ryan, Michael, Gill, Ward

I make that 4 born and bred Irish in McMahon, Ryan, Michael and Gill

Scotland team:

5. David Scott
2. Davey Dixon
3. Murray Mitchell
4. Will Oakes
15. Finlay Hutchison
6. Oscar Thomas
7. Ryan Brierley 
8. Ben Kavanagh ( captain)
9. Kane Bentley 
10. Billy Mcconnachie 
11. Nick Glohe 
13. Frankie Mariano 
16. Sam Luckley 

12. Luke Westman
14. Lewis Clarke 
1. Lewis Tierney 
17. Kieran Moran

Again just 4 there in Scott, Hutchison, Mitchell and Clarke

37 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Ireland team was:

Grix, McMahon, Higginson, Bentley, Ryan; McNally, Finn; Byrne, O’Donnell, King; McCarthy, Hope, Bienek.

subs: Ryan, Michael, Gill, Ward

I make that 4 born and bred Irish in McMahon, Ryan, Michael and Gill

Yeah, that's right, 6 in the 19, got Hope confused with another lad. Not too bad, there are a few Irish guys quietly kicking around in League One and the Championship if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: James Kelly at Sheffield and Matty Hadden at Rochdale for example, some have come through Coventry Bears I believe.

Edited by wackojacko

I've only recently got into watching rugby league and I really wanted to watch this game but I couldn't find any decent streams. They really need to up their game when it comes to broadcasting if they want to spread the game here in Ireland, there is plenty of potential here.

2 hours ago, Keith989 said:

I've only recently got into watching rugby league and I really wanted to watch this game but I couldn't find any decent streams. They really need to up their game when it comes to broadcasting if they want to spread the game here in Ireland, there is plenty of potential here.

Shame as it was on the BBC here, disappointing nobody picked it up in Ireland.

Was a good game, one thing i will say is an awful lot of the crowd were there for ronan Michael and Peter Ryan as I was sandwiched between them so obviously the more homegrown players the bigger crowds but you need the perfect blend of experience and youth and there's just not enough experience with the homegrown lads, but theres no doubt that the English born lads dedication, just look at Liam finn and George King yesterday who were first class, Scott grix turns up year in year out and never let's down, small crowd yesterday but everyone has to start somewhere ☘️☘️☘️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wackojacko said:

Shame as it was on the BBC here, disappointing nobody picked it up in Ireland.

I have never seen a mention of RL on any of the Irish channels, even in the World Cup etc. That is why I never understood the heritage argument and getting to World Cups etc is great for the game in Ireland, the vast majority are completely oblivious and many wouldn't even had a clue that Ireland had a RL team.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Damien said:

I have never seen a mention of RL on any of the Irish channels, even in the World Cup etc. That is why I never understood the heritage argument and getting to World Cups etc is great for the game in Ireland, the vast majority are completely oblivious and many wouldn't even had a clue that Ireland had a RL team.

They need to get the balance right between heritage and Irish born, a bit like the Ireland cricket team did. The national rugby league team is generally seen as bit of a joke over here and is basically just viewed as an England reserve team. Getting in local players is an absolute must.

Edited by Keith989
  • Like 2

On 10/29/2018 at 12:31 PM, Keith989 said:

They need to get the balance right between heritage and Irish born, a bit like the Ireland cricket team did. The national rugby league team is generally seen as bit of a joke over here and is basically just viewed as an England reserve team. Getting in local players is an absolute must.

I disagree. They would need to know it exists to see it as a joke.

• Like 1