• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To return to a measure of gravity; My old man died this morning after a short illness. He was RL through and through, a former groundsman and director at Batley amongst other roles at a number of

The memsahib's brother. After 5 decades of acute/chronic schizophrenia.... he is now at peace. No more voices. No more paranoia.  A desperately sad life ends. The memsahib is beyond grief.

RIP Hughie, a proper legend and a damn nice bloke as well. I only saw him a few years ago when he was playing a veterans’ game and he was in fine form then. This is one of my favourite pics of mine of

Posted Images

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

RIP The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip.

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I heard the news during the ABC commentary on Penrith v Canberra.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

I met him a couple of times in the 80's. One of the occasions I was with Shaun Edwards ( ME! Namedropper? Never)

I remember being impressed when told that he had attended about 7 Duke of Edinburgh Award ceremonies a year for 35 years and had never cried off once.

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

7 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

On Sky here they put a banner across the bottom saying 'turn on Sky News for some important breaking news.'

Never seen that before. 

A quick scan through the freeview channels the same (BBC led) message was on Dave and CBeebies of all places.

• Haha 1

I was watching Quest, here in the UK, and the blanked the adverts and said there is an important news bulletin on BBC News, I have never seen a blatant channel diversion like this so I turned over.

I am not a Royalist, in fact I have said before on here I am a Republican, but my thoughts got out to the Queen and her Family.

Where were you last Thursday?

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I was watching Quest, here in the UK, and the blanked the adverts and said there is an important news bulletin on BBC News, I have never seen a blatant channel diversion like this so I turned over.

I am not a Royalist, in fact I have said before on here I am a Republican, but my thoughts got out to the Queen and her Family.

Well it takes away the 20 minutes the News devotes to the daily Coronavirus depressing BS.

Edited by Bleep1673

Where were you last Thursday?

Two posts removed, please remember this is a restricted thread. If you want to grumble about the monarchy, start a new thread.

• Like 3

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

19 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Sorry for the family , but do they need this on every bbc channel ? I was looking forward to masters highlights 

Channel 4 haven't shifted Countdown!

I know you said BBC but ITV and Channel 5 also have the schedule blocked out.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Sorry for the family , but do they need this on every bbc channel ? I was looking forward to masters highlights 

I doubt it is the family that have either instigated or `need this'.  It is the country. It is respect.

If he had been the husband of any head of state, world wide, his death would have been suitably recognised, as this is being suitably recognised right now, in countries all around the globe.

If he had been the equally long-serving, well known and almost universally recognised (with respect) partner of the head of state of any country in the world, his passing would now be being marked in much the same way.

Though not identical - and for different reasons - the closest illustration I can think of, for that, is the death of United States President, John Kennedy.  Within minutes of the event the whole world knew, and responded with due respect.

I was at a film showing, in the dining hall of my college `res' when that news came in.  Everything stopped.

And I was miles away on another continent, in the middle of central Africa.

Edited by Honor James
  • Haha 1

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

2 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

Just about every commercial radio station that I'm flicking through on Freeview TV have a more subdued playlist.

Except Talk Sport who have horse racing.

That might help cheer the Queen up a bit.

• Haha 3

"It started out in innocence, the way that most things do,
                                     a thousand people crammed in one place, but the only face was you"

RIP Prince Philip.  Gave me many a chuckle over the last few decades.  Sad day. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

4 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

Same audio on all the BBC radio stations including 1Xtra and Asian Network. Except BBC World Service.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Very rarely watch “live” tv so missing all that

think  our thoughts and prayers should be with her majesty at this time- when all is stripped to bare bones - an old lady has lost her husband of over 70 years today - bless

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 3

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

As a tribute to the D of E dying just short of his century, Hull KR and Castleford played out a 99-minute match this evening. Respect!

• Like 1