World Cup venues announcement

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, thehullram said:

Had a response to a message I posted to Jon Dutton. Draw this November. Ballot for tickets in July 2020 with release on general sale from November 2020! 

Well they seem to be aiming high introducing a ballot. I doubt there will be any issue in tickets going to general sale though.

49 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Well they seem to be aiming high introducing a ballot. I doubt there will be any issue in tickets going to general sale though.

It does however create a key date to keep up the momentum.

2 years ahead is too early to be selling tickets imho, by having a ballot it allows us to stretch the 12m window to 18m.

15 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Any idea how this ballot might work especially if there are more tickets than there are applicants?

They'll allocate you a ticket and there will be a window in which payment is taken. Once all the payments have been taken or declined then there will be an open sale.

Going by what happened, for example, with the women's Cricket World Cup which had a ballot but then had plenty of tickets available after. I have a feeling the ballot tickets were slightly cheaper.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

A two-part Q & A here about the venue selection. The most interesting thing for me is the implication that Bristol withdrew their bid.

Really interesting decisions here. Agree it seems the South West was in for a game but withdrew their bid which is a real shame. 

Also very good to hear that decent minimum standards were being applied to venues to ensure a good customer experience. 

Wigan v Bolton looks almost certainly down to Bolton putting more money up for 2 games whereas Wigan council went for a broader spread including the LSV.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:57 PM, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Taken from NRL.com

Australia are expected to open their defence of the Paul Barrie`re Trophy at the Emerald Headingley Stadium and are likely to play another pool match at Middlesbrough FC's 34,000 seat Riverside Stadium.

Assuming all goes to plan for the Kangaroos, they would be aiming to play in the semi-final at Elland Road and final at Old Trafford. New Zealand also likely to play at Emerald Headingley, as will Leigh Sports Village, Club Doncaster and Workington Community Stadium.

The opening match of the men's tournament will be played at St James Park and feature England, who will also play pool matches at Sheffield FC's Bramall Lane and University of Bolton Stadium.

New Zealand can’t play at Headingley, Leigh, Donny and Workington as they only have 3 group games. 

6 minutes ago, donny donny said:

New Zealand can’t play at Headingley, Leigh, Donny and Workington as they only have 3 group games. 

I think the fairly safe assumption is that they will make the quarter finals. Leigh and Workington seem very unambitious for the Kiwis though, who got decent crowds in 2013.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think the fairly safe assumption is that they will make the quarter finals. Leigh and Workington seem very unambiguous for the Kiwis though, who got decent crowds in 2013.

Yeah but the quarters are at Liverpool, Bolton, Hull and Huddersfield.

Theres no way they can play at all of Leigh, Headingley, Donny and Workington as those grounds are only holding group games and they only play 3 group games.

• 6 months later...

Replacement for Workington to be announced on Wednesday. A shame on one hand but hopefully an ambitious opportunity on the other. 

IIRC Workington was supposed to host 3 group games. Personally I'd hope these 3 were spread around to 1/2 current venues and 1 new one but can see all 3 being shifted wholesale.

Saw this photo from the Bolton food and drink festival over the weekend. Don't know if this is run by the rlwc team or is part of the bids put in by the host venues but great to see they're spreading the word in the local community over 2 years out from the event. Hopefully we'll see more of this kind of thing across the host venue towns and cities in the coming months.

20190827_201927.jpg

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Replacement for Workington to be announced on Wednesday. A shame on one hand but hopefully an ambitious opportunity on the other. 

IIRC Workington was supposed to host 3 group games. Personally I'd hope these 3 were spread around to 1/2 current venues and 1 new one but can see all 3 being shifted wholesale.

It would be great if somewhere in the South West got some of them. It was great in Bristol last time 

13 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

It would be great if somewhere in the South West got some of them. It was great in Bristol last time 

Totally agree. Wouldn't mind Newcastle getting an extra group fixture too (at Gosforth).

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Gutted we have lost our games and our new stadium, not sure how long the club can sustain derwent park 

Archived