Brexit Party

Personally, I would not set out to teach about LGBT relationships to year 6. The teachers' dilemma arises when the class has children whose parents are LGBT. If one of the children says, "But, Sir, I don't have a mummy, I have two daddies," what does the teacher do? Ignore the issue or address it as sympathetically as he/she can? No contest, obviously, but it might open up areas of discussion that the teacher is uncomfortable with and that's where you need school policies.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I don't know why you gave the either or proposition you did because we have been getting along fine in primary schools without it being illegal to mention that people may be gay (not sure when that was exactly but it was before my time) but without the state telling young children how they should go about their intimate relationships.

Section 28 was only repealed in 2003.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

26 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Section 28 was only repealed in 2003.  

Section 28 wasn't about homosexuality being illegal though or even about discussing it as a possibility; it was about promoting it in school.

40 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Personally, I would not set out to teach about LGBT relationships to year 6. The teachers' dilemma arises when the class has children whose parents are LGBT. If one of the children says, "But, Sir, I don't have a mummy, I have two daddies," what does the teacher do? Ignore the issue or address it as sympathetically as he/she can? No contest, obviously, but it might open up areas of discussion that the teacher is uncomfortable with and that's where you need school policies.

Having a school policy doesn't make discussing such matters any easier for teachers.  However, allowing a child and a teacher to have a conversation about their family life, if that is what the child needs, is nothing new to teachers.  This has already been overcome in schools with the acceptance of single parenthood.  There has been no formal policy on teaching that single parenthood is ok or an option or anything.  Teachers have just got on with accepting it as the family background of particular children.  Some reading posts on here will wonder why single parenthood could possibly be an issue requiring discussion but at one time marriage was the default and if a child had only a mum (usually) and that mum had never married, it was a massive issue.  This is no different.  

7 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Section 28 wasn't about homosexuality being illegal though or even about discussing it as a possibility; it was about promoting it in school.

Teachers were quite clear that Section 28 stopped them even discussing homosexuality.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

5 hours ago, Saintslass said:

She's foreign (I think eastern European but I'm not sure).  Her great grandparents were holocaust victims.  

What do you think?

She represented GB at Tennis in the 2011 Maccabi games. 

5 hours ago, Celt said:

Because people in England are racist bigots?

I notice that none of your solutions/reasons place any 'blame' at the feet of the english and welsh population.  

The Brexit map was quite clearly majority 'Leave' and when questioned, most people i heard via MSM justified their reasons for leaving as ''immigraaaaiiiiiition'' usually in some kind of whiny uneducated northern accent.  (though this may of course be due to selective reporting).

Still.... I thought I would throw it out there, as statistically - you (the English) appear to be really quite racist.

*yawn*

8 hours ago, Celt said:

I notice that none of your solutions/reasons place any 'blame' at the feet of the english and welsh population.  

The Brexit map was quite clearly majority 'Leave' and when questioned, most people i heard via MSM justified their reasons for leaving as ''immigraaaaiiiiiition'' usually in some kind of whiny uneducated northern accent.  (though this may of course be due to selective reporting).

Still.... I thought I would throw it out there, as statistically - you (the English) appear to be really quite racist.

Yep, us English are vile. Why are the 20% of Scots intending to vote for Farage* this Thursday being ignored in this little rant? That puts them in second place north of the border.

As a confirmed remainer, I'm bored of this whole mess being dumped on England, although I'm glad you remembered to briefly mention Wales in there for a change. 38% of Scots voted to leave in the first place, 44% in Northern Ireland. And yet somehow it's England that brought this about.

*YouGov poll

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

3 minutes ago, Celt said:

How clear do you want it? Every single region in Scotland voted Remain. 

Down in England however, where education is not given such a high priority by government, an overwhelming number of regions voted to leave. Exit polls showed the most popular reason for this choice was "immigration" and topics linked to that.

We are different. The map shows that. We don't want our citizenship taken away. English people keep shouting on about 'democracy' , so looking at that map..... Why are they so opposed to Scots retaining European citizenship?

As I have said on here before - Brexit is making me wealthier. My home is rocketing in value as property prices in my city climb monthly as more and more financial services companies exit London and set up here. The crash in Sterling following a no-deal Brexit means I will probably profit by buying a property in the UK (dirt cheap in Euros) and rent it to somebody (hopefully not a Brexit voter - I will try to find an immigrant).  However that is no replacement for my European citizenship which I was born into, have always had, and now am having removed against my will by people from another country.

Last time I looked Scotland was part of the UK, it was UK referendum and the result is a UK result. 

Anyway, as this is a thread about the Brexit Party you might prefer to have this discussion on another thread?

17 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

Apparently the electoral commission will ‘visit’ the brexit party hq to ensure it’s compliance  with funding regulations. 

And what happens if the aren’t compliant? A slap on the wrist? A fine? 

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/106737/Table-of-offences-and-sanctions_for_EP.pdf

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/199703/April-2016-Enforcement-Policy.pdf

Page 19 (but basically a paltry fine, a "don't do it again" talking to and made to sit at the back of the class for a week or so).

Irrelevant of who we are talking about currently - we really need a better regulator with teeth going fwd

1 hour ago, Private Baldrick said:

The map proves what exactly? Are the most racist areas in blue? 

The map doesn't show voting percentages either. 

Sone areas of Scotland such as Dumfries, Falkirk, Aberdeenshire had well over 40% of leave votes. 

1 minute ago, Niels said:

The map doesn't show voting percentages either. 

Sone areas of Scotland such as Dumfries, Falkirk, Aberdeenshire had well over 40% of leave votes. 

True, but then again when it comes to referendums our Scottish friend may have trouble in understanding how they work and accepting the results.

1 hour ago, Private Baldrick said:

True, but then again when it comes to referendums our Scottish friend may have trouble in understanding how they work and accepting the results.

There were even areas of Scotland where entire households voted Leave!  And they're being ignored by the majority in Scotland.

Also, it's just another referendum lie.  The Scots, a largely Europhilic nation reliant on immigration to keep their population numbers stable, were told in no uncertain terms in 2014 that the only way they could stay in the EU was to stay in the UK.  Two years later, Scotland was told that their views were irrelevant and the UK was leaving the EU.

Further, in 2014, the EU nations were clear to Scotland that they'd be vetoed from quick accession to the EU as the EU supported the UK position (especially the Spanish with their own regional independence issues).  Now, even the most anti-independence nation of Spain is clear that they'd welcome Scotland in on quick accession terms.

(p.s. on the post you quoted 100% of votes cast minus 40% Leave gives... 60% Remain?  I guess that's not what was meant)

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

19 minutes ago, ckn said:

There were even areas of Scotland where entire households voted Leave!  And they're being ignored by the majority in Scotland.

Also, it's just another referendum lie.  The Scots, a largely Europhilic nation reliant on immigration to keep their population numbers stable, were told in no uncertain terms in 2014 that the only way they could stay in the EU was to stay in the UK.  Two years later, Scotland was told that their views were irrelevant and the UK was leaving the EU.

Further, in 2014, the EU nations were clear to Scotland that they'd be vetoed from quick accession to the EU as the EU supported the UK position (especially the Spanish with their own regional independence issues).  Now, even the most anti-independence nation of Spain is clear that they'd welcome Scotland in on quick accession terms.

(p.s. on the post you quoted 100% of votes cast minus 40% Leave gives... 60% Remain?  I guess that's not what was meant)

Yes the whole of Scotland by designated area voted remain, though the percentages in each area varied. Dumfries was 52% to 48% I think. Edinburgh was the most pro remain city by approx 3 to 1.

33 minutes ago, ckn said:

The referendum was  a UK referendum.  The fact that  60% of Acacia Avenue , East Cheam voted to remain does not give them the right to remain. 

16 hours ago, Celt said:

Over 2M of your fellow Celts voted to leave the EU. Are they racist too? 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

2 hours ago, RidingPie said:

Apparently the electoral commission will ‘visit’ the brexit party hq to ensure it’s compliance  with funding regulations. 

And what happens if the aren’t compliant? A slap on the wrist? A fine? 

A fine much lower than any money gained.  The fines haven’t been increased to match current funding levels, and as I’ve said previously the fear and shame of being caught was part of the deterrent.

Archived