Magic attendance

Anyone have any idea? It looked very empty. Suppose that's what we all expect after moving it from Newcastle. Hope it's back there next year (Newcastle)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JonNgog said:

It was 30,000 - sorry to disappoint you

Yep but this is a total for all day. 

You would have to be a trooper to sit in your seat for 8 hours straight and therefore leads to the appearence of an emptyish stadium

Awful attendance. There’s no way around it.

Its clearly been tipped just over 30k as well to make it seem more respectable.

Terrible choice of venue, poor choice of games and poor timing when the marathon is also on in Liverpool.

Hoping they learn from it and it’s just a blip.

Plus the Kop was well filled on the several occasions it was shown on camera, but it isn't the stand opposite the main TV view. And, if you're visiting Anfield, you'd want to be in the fabled Kop.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Historically first day attendances from 2007:

07, 08 Cardiff 32,384, 30,628

09,10 Edinburgh 29,627, 26,642

11 Cardiff 30,891

12,13,14 Manchester 30,763, 30,793, 36,339

15,16,17,18 Newcastle 40,871, 39,331, 35,361, 38,881

19 Liverpool 30,057

So the best was Newcastle. Then apart from the last Manchester visit, Anfield is ballpark.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Posters of a certain vintage may recall Up Pompeii! a TV comedy set in Roman times and starring the late Frankie Howerd as Lurcio the Slave. At the beginning of each episode Lurcio would attempt to deliver a prologue only to be constantly interrupted, most notably by a wild-haired character called Senna the Soothsayer who would dash onto the set wailing: “Woe, woe and thrice woe! Death, destruction and doooooom!”

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Posters of a certain vintage may recall Up Pompeii! a TV comedy set in Roman times and starring the late Frankie Howerd as Lurcio the Slave. At the beginning of each episode Lurcio would attempt to deliver a prologue only to be constantly interrupted, most notably by a wild-haired character called Senna the Soothsayer who would dash onto the set wailing: “Woe, woe and thrice woe! Death, destruction and doooooom!”

Don't recall that in the Newcastle games... Just the poor Anfield ones!

22 minutes ago, RayCee said:

11 Cardiff 30,891

19 Liverpool 30,057

So the best was Newcastle. Then apart from the last Manchester visit, Anfield is ballpark.

The most suitable comparison would be versus the highest day of each weekend, unless we think tomorrow will get a higher crowd, whichnwould go against recent history.

If today is the highest crowd at 30k, it is a concern.

Considering the chance of venue and lack of promotion the attendance today is far from a disaster. Despite the doom and gloom it's not bad at all. The attendance is for the whole day and at times there was approx 25000 in their seats. Should it remain there next year and have a bit more promotion it could easily be bettered 

Just now, Dave T said:

The most suitable comparison would be versus the highest day of each weekend, unless we think tomorrow will get a higher crowd, whichnwould go against recent history.

If today is the highest crowd at 30k, it is a concern.

I was expecting 30-35k bracket. So while at the low end, I think it is OK. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Not awful when you look at some day one attendances of Magic but looking at the last few years at Newcastle, that’s a hell of a drop and one where you’d expect an inquest into it. 

Cannot see day two being the better attended day. History tells you that doesn’t happen and I can’t see that changing. 

I think people are focusing a little too much on the venue while not considering the difference in fixture line up this time around which will probably be even more telling tomorrow. 

I do also suspect that the Bank Holiday might have had more of a negative impact than anticipated with the general increase in rail works, hotel prices and the like. 

54 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I think people are focusing a little too much on the venue while not considering the difference in fixture line up this time around which will probably be even more telling tomorrow. 

I do also suspect that the Bank Holiday might have had more of a negative impact than anticipated with the general increase in rail works, hotel prices and the like. 

I agree the fixture selection on the whole looks a bit poor. The fact the real standout is Leeds v London as a relegation battle says it all. Wigan Wire is something like the 20th time they've played eachother in 4 years or something? Cas v Saints should be a big game but I can't help but get the feeling Cas just seem a bit lacklustre at the moment. The rest of the fixtures just seem a bit meh.

As for the bank holiday I think it could actually help attendances, especially for the Sunday. Its been a point raised before that whilst the Saturday was great for a day out/bit of a booze up /party atmosphere with mates, work on Monday dictated that the Sunday just doesn't have that same atmosphere, as many fans leave well before the last match due to having to get home wherever that may be. Its always seemed a bit subdued by contrast for me. The bank holiday essentially creates a second Saturday which sadly I don't think will be taken advantage of this year but could be in future - especially in encouraging people to make a full weekend of Magic taking in both days.

4 hours ago, RayCee said:

11 Cardiff 30,891

19 Liverpool 30,057

Huge mistake to take it away from Newcastle and just shows you how inept the RFL have become.

We really lose perspective sometimes and let our biases really affect our judgement at times as fans of our code.

Whilst I don't think I've read anyone say they would rather go to Liverpool than Newcastle, even with a poorer fixture line-up, we:

- Drew a crowd average of over 10K for each game which is significantly above the season average.

- We drew an aggregate which is larger than what these matches would have got combined at Wigan, Hull and Wakefield (and more if you swap with Warrington and Huddersfield).

- Had a significant increase in media coverage YoY.

If Sunday is a comparable crowd to Saturday, we should be still looking at the event as being successful, especially if we look at the criteria of: 

- Drawing crowds / boosting the average

- Getting more media coverage

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

Huge mistake to take it away from Newcastle and just shows you how inept the RFL have become. 

How many times. It was a Super League decision as they now run their own comp. It was the RFL who conceived (Nigel Wood) and developed the concept into a success.

6 hours ago, RayCee said:

11 Cardiff 30,891

19 Liverpool 30,057

Magic weekend returning to St James Park would be good move, or holding other big ticket events in Newcastle. 

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

Yep but this is a total for all day. 

You would have to be a trooper to sit in your seat for 8 hours straight and therefore leads to the appearence of an emptyish stadium

Not much choice the fan zone was non existence, the poorest at any event so where  I would spend time in the zone I spent more time watching aĺl the games which was agony because of the lack of leg room. 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The bank holiday Monday should boost the Sunday crowd, giving a respectable but not spectacular 2 day total. 

Fingers crossed, although looking at ticket sales the other day, Sunday had more availability.

Best wishes to all fans who have come here to a rather rainy Liverpool.true supporters of the game who have made the effort. I hope you enjoy your day and get chance to explore the offerings of the city centre,Albert docks.

Archived