YORKSHIRE (and by extension the north)

28 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It’s a flour cake not a tea cake which is a Blackburn thing!

As for the chips in gravy debate:

DON’T think we haven’t seen you southern types putting gravy on your roast POTATOES on those bloody Bisto adverts.

WE know your game!  

First time I ever had chips and gravy was in Blackburn. Locals encouraged me to try it before I watched Swindon at Ewood. I'm forever grateful! ? 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Padge said:

No it isn't, it's a smack.

Collop

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, Moose said:

The only time I've heard someone ask for a collop was in a Morley fish and chip shop.

Bang to rights!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I've just seen a dyslexic Yorkshireman wearing a cat flap.

Was he a Vef supporter?

Clement Attlee.

14 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

My Gran always told me that you can speak properly, but you can still retain your accent.

To some extent, I do.

There's no such thing as speaking properly. A language is just a dialect with an army and a dialect is a language with an enemy. Same goes for accents.

There is an alternate universe where the centre of English political power is in Yorkshire and the poor put upon folks of the south east are mocked by the northern establishment for their silly accents and quaint ways.

23 hours ago, Bearman said:

Its not always just one way.

At Whitehaven on Sunday one of our volunteers ( from Oxfordshire) who was just doing his job was sneered at and told by a couple of 'Haven staff members " We can't understand you". Just to be awkward.

Brings back childhood memories of having English lessons for half a term with a student teacher. She was from Bedworth i.e. pretty close to Coventry. Cue an entire class of 13 year olds affecting not to understand "cockney", asking her to speak slowly and in English etc etc. 

32 minutes ago, JonM said:

Brings back childhood memories of having English lessons for half a term with a student teacher. She was from Bedworth i.e. pretty close to Coventry. Cue an entire class of 13 year olds affecting not to understand "cockney", asking her to speak slowly and in English etc etc. 

That’s Beduff me babb!

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I have come into contact with many northerners over the years through the TGG. One surprising theme is that when i /we get chatting to people in my Broncos shirt they often comment how surprised they are that I am nice/friendly. 

Therefore I`ve always assumed that northerners think we are all miserable. 

They always want to talk about the prices of houses and beer too ?

18 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

And the Wakey / Cas fans say snap instead of food which I always like

It is quaint the way those funny northern folk talk isn’t it 

1 hour ago, damp squib said:

There's no such thing as speaking properly. A language is just a dialect with an army and a dialect is a language with an enemy. Same goes for accents.

There is an alternate universe where the centre of English political power is in Yorkshire and the poor put upon folks of the south east are mocked by the northern establishment for their silly accents and quaint ways.

I've read somewhere that Swedes and Norwegians mock the way Danes speak.  Apparently all three languages are mutually intelligible, but as you say dialects with armies.

Certainly if you formalised Geordie and the way the people of Cornwall  (not Cornish) speak and wrote it down they wouldn't look like the same language.  Related perhaps like Spanish and Portuguese, but not the same language.

Clement Attlee.

38 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I know some Germans who have said that Dutch is so similar to German they can very nearly understand it. A lot of Yorkshire dialect originally comes from German, harking back to when saxons settled in this region of the world. An obvious similarity would be the words, 'water' and 'wasser'. 

Don't be stupid , the German word comes from the Yorkshire version " wayter " , everybody knows that ??

Which of course came from the Lancashire word wat'ter 

As others (eg Wiltshire Rhino) have pointed out, this isn't a north -v- south linguistic issue; it is London and the Home Counties -v- the provinces.

In all probability, 'twas ever thus!  The composer, Thomas Ravenscroft, in his 1614 publication, A Briefe Dsicourse, includes twenty four-part songs to demonstrate the theories and practices about which he has written earlier in the book.

One of them, Hodge Trillindle to his zweethort Malkyn, leaves no stone unturned in making fun of west country, 'Mummerset' accents and dialects.  Even the voice parts such as 'treble' and 'tenor' are described as 'dreble' and 'denor', and a note at the end of the first part of the piece, which is in sections, says that the 'zegund bart vollowes.'

Dialects are not inferior to standard English; just a different, but equally valid, way of expressing things.  Some years ago, when I used to make a few gallons of cider each year, I asked the son of my, by then ailing, regular farm supplier of real cider apples, in a village out on the Somerset Levels, how his father was keeping: he shook his head and said, "He do need a lot of looking after these days".  Classic use of the present active tense in Somerset - different from standard English, but not wrong at all!

If the Guardian article writer is concerned about the encroachment of Estuary English into Yorkshire dialect, she might just be looking out for the wrong invader.  (Indeed, I suspect that, to an extent at least, she is using the issue of dialects and accents to have pop more generally at the middle and upper classes in the south, at least as she perceives them!)  I would have thought Americanisms are more of an issue for all parts of the country: I regularly see reference to 'programs'; my daughter routinely calls the toilet the bathroom, even, for instance, in pubs where no bath will be present; for a medical appointment at a clinic in Salisbury on Monday, I received an email (from, it transpires, a locally born and raised person) with directions telling me to 'take a left', whereas I would just say 'turn left'.

Archived