Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

10-11 Aug: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Toulouse are now a clear second in the Championship.

And might Widnes be starting to sweat a little?


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

And might Widnes be starting to sweat a little?

Nah, we're all in denial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, doc said:

Nah, we're all in denial.

That's Egypt; you're in de Mersey.

  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

That's Egypt; you're in de Mersey.

That's a terrible joke.😐 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

If Leigh win tomorrow they're on equal points 

Equal points but 130 behind on points difference with Widnes and York to play at home and Toronto away last , can't see Leigh or anybody making 2nd except Toulouse now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Equal points but 130 behind on points difference with Widnes and York to play at home and Toronto away last , can't see Leigh or anybody making 2nd except Toulouse now 

If Toulouse are second and Leigh third, it is possible that Leigh's last five games could be:

  • Toronto (away) - regular season
  • Toulouse (away)
  • Toronto (away)
  • Toulouse (away)
  • Toronto (away)
Edited by ojx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ojx said:

If Toulouse are second and Leigh third, it is possible that Leigh's last five games could be:

  • Toronto (away) - regular season
  • Toulouse (away)
  • Toronto (away)
  • Toulouse (away)
  • Toronto (away)

And? 5 games against teams in the same league just as any other combination would be. As I've said before no one was raising concerns at the start of the season when the rules were available for all to see.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ojx said:

If Toulouse are second and Leigh third, it is possible that Leigh's last five games could be:

  • Toronto (away) - regular season
  • Toulouse (away)
  • Toronto (away)
  • Toulouse (away)
  • Toronto (away)

On the plus side for Derek, some fantastic opportunities there to sell his sundecks 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

On the plus side for Derek, some fantastic opportunities there to sell his sundecks 

They already sell in France , and where do you think the idea of PVC sundecks came from ? NA 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ojx said:

If Toulouse are second and Leigh third, it is possible that Leigh's last five games could be:

  • Toronto (away) - regular season
  • Toulouse (away)
  • Toronto (away)
  • Toulouse (away)
  • Toronto (away)

Yes , something we've been well aware of for a while , although I think you've got one of the Toulouse games away rather than at home 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , something we've been well aware of for a while , although I think you've got one of the Toulouse games away rather than at home 

Have you been saving up Gubby?

I hope those Leigh part time player's have bosses who can afford them time off!

As I have stated previously if Leigh are safe in the top 5 come the regular season TWP game 7th Sept, rest all the squad and recruit lads from the Miners and East and send them over for a few days at Toronto's expense, the TWP previous game is home to Barrow Aug 31st, they then won't play  after tge Leigh visit until the second week of the play offs 21st Sept? , if their opponent's for that game send over a weak squad TWP will be in the final on the 4th/5th Oct,TWP have a free week on the 24th Aug and play Sheffield at home on the 17th of August, 7 days before Sheffield play at Wembley and I should not imagine for one minute the Eagles will be interested in that fixture, so it could be from today's game v York nearly 2 month's before the Championship final that the TWP player's will have had a competitive game, (no disrespect to Barrow) some of the TWP older guy's legs will have siezed up by then. Giving their final opponents a better chance of beating them while they are at home.

It depends though on one's train of thought is it better to rest or keep momentum going and be battle hardened and up to speed, I know what I would sooner do and it's not resting for 8 weeks.

Edited by Harry Stottle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Have you been saving up Gubby?

I hope those Leigh part time player's have bosses who can afford them time off!

As I have stated previously if Leigh are safe in the top 5 come the regular season TWP game 7th Sept, rest all the squad and recruit lads from the Miners and East and send them over for a few days at Toronto's expense, the TWP previous game is home to Barrow Aug 31st, they then won't play  after tge Leigh visit until the second week of the play offs 21st Sept? , if their opponent's for that game send over a weak squad TWP will be in the final on the 4th/5th Oct,TWP have a free week on the 24th Aug and play Sheffield at home on the 17th of August, 7 days before Sheffield play at Wembley and I should not imagine for one minute the Eagles will be interested in that fixture, so it could be from today's game v York nearly 2 month's before the Championship final that the TWP player's will have had a competitive game, (no disrespect to Barrow) some of the TWP older guy's legs will have siezed up by then. Giving their final opponents a better chance of beating them while they are at home.

It depends though on one's train of thought is it better to rest or keep momentum going and be battle hardened and up to speed, I know what I would sooner do and it's not resting for 8 weeks.

I won't be going to Toronto any time soon unfortunately , shame really as I do have distant relatives in Guelph , which is fairly close in Canadian terms 

And yes their schedule could be problematic , but given McDermotts skill at getting teams up for big games , I can still only see one winner 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Daddy said:

If Leigh win tomorrow they're on equal points 

But Toulouse should still be second on points differential, unless Leigh scores a victory by at least a 131 points margin. I am sure that that Leigh will win tomorrow, but I suspect that they will win by a smaller margin than that.

Edited by Manfred Mann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

... TWP have a free week on the 24th Aug and play Sheffield at home on the 17th of August ...

TWP play Rochdale on 17 August.

Doesn't change your argument, but correcting for the sake of accuracy.

Wolfpack's old legs did pretty well today v York.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Loup said:

TWP play Rochdale on 17 August.

Doesn't change your argument, but correcting for the sake of accuracy.

Wolfpack's old legs did pretty well today v York.

I stand corrected, I looked at Toronto's fixtures published at the begining of the season,  still and no disrepect to Rochdale I cannot envisage them giving TWP much of a game and it is far enough away from the final not to really matter.

My point stands that the Wolfpacks opponents in the play-offs can manipulate the fixtures to their advantage and throw TWP's preperations somewhat astay, train all you like but there is no substitute for match fitness and conditioning, and it is harder for older athletes in any sport to get up to speed again after a lay off.

Fully agree with your last sentance but Toronto are in the momentum stage having played regularly, revert back to the start of the season and there were a number of games that could have gone either way before lets say Toronto "got their second wind, energy and drive" that could very easily be interupted"

No doubt Toronto will make the final only a fool would bet against that, and yes their opponent's will need all the help they can get especially as Toronto are on their home ground, if a numpty like me can see how taking a calculated risk such as I suggest then surely it will not have by passed by professional coaches, is it to far 'left field' to suggest those coaches could discuss how they can assist each other, just a thought. 

PS, I did suggest Leigh could recruit amatuer player's for their last regular game of the season at Lamport obviously I overlooked the signing deadline, nevertheless they could still stand down all their better player's and promote the squad players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hemel Stag said:

Ouch ! Did not imagine that would happen. 😖

Rest day for York they play FEV at home next Sunday that is more important as they lost the previous 2 games.Away and Summer Bash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Rest day for York they play FEV at home next Sunday that is more important as they lost the previous 2 games.Away and Summer Bash.

Massive game next Sunday at York. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ojx said:

If Toulouse are second and Leigh third, it is possible that Leigh's last five games could be:

  • Toronto (away) - regular season
  • Toulouse (away)
  • Toronto (away)
  • Toulouse (away)
  • Toronto (away)

You might get a few Wire fans tagging along!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...