John Drake

Sun 6 Oct: League 1 - Play-off Final: Oldham v Newcastle Thunder KO 3pm

Who will win?  

65 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Oldham
    • Newcastle Thunder

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/10/19 at 14:00

Good win for Oldham, the better side over the 80 minutes. They have a pair of good second rows in Langtree and Bridge and Hawkyard was a livewire. However, it was really the game management of the halves that won them the game. Thunder need to learn how to win close games and not just try and score on every set.

They should be favourites for promotion next season, along with Donny and Barrow

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

You get the Internationals done, then it's Christmas, then you pick up a few nice things in the January sales, then it ain't very long 'til the pre-season friendlies start.

There are usually friendlies on Boxing Day!

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

I find YouTube eases the pain in winter. Tons of classic games to watch on there.

Peace on Earth, Goodwill to all men, and don't forget to clear your watch history. :kolobok_wink:

• Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

That’s no consolation at all because I can only count up to 9k 😉

Don't dispair M of K I'll get you a Etch-A-Sketch for Xmas  then you can play till your hearts content at drawing lines on a pitch then WIPE EM' ALL OUT😆

1 minute ago, Clogiron said:

Don't dispair M of K I'll get you a Etch-A-Sketch for Xmas  then you can play till your hearts content at drawing lines on a pitch then WIPE EM' ALL OUT😆

I fear even Etch-A-Sketch can’t do Lamport justice, Clogger. What about the polka dots?

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I fear even Etch-A-Sketch can’t do Lamport justice, Clogger. What about the polka dots?

Are they itzy bitzy, teeny weeny?  

For us more mature poster's đŸ€©

• Haha 1

That was a great game and Oldham deserving winners. The experience in the Oldham team won them the game. They controlled the game and played percentages. 

I think the championship needs a club like Newcastle and they'll be desparately disappointed to have missed out especially after the amount of money they have spent. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

As the on-field display board collapsed at the presentation,leaving only half of it still standing, Oldham were crowned "LEAGUE 1 PIONS"....

The embarrassing thing was that the board proclaimed them League 1 Champions for winning a promotion play off final

Well played Oldham they deserve promotion due to their on field performance. But i wont hide my disappointment. Newcastle offer so much more to the sport. A good stadium, vision, ambition and a clear plan, they are growing their supporter base and brand by the year and have a great junior development setup. 

Oldham on the other hand are one of many clubs that live month to month and offer very little. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone know the attendance? It looked busy (fair few Newcy fans behind the sticks on the left) but hard to tell when it’s basically just people standing by the pitch behind a rope. There are much better grounds in the Eastern Counties (football) League. 

3 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

Well played Oldham they deserve promotion due to their on field performance. But i wont hide my disappointment. Newcastle offer so much more to the sport. A good stadium, vision, ambition and a clear plan, they are growing their supporter base and brand by the year and have a great junior development setup. 

Oldham on the other hand are one of many clubs that live month to month and offer very little. 

I had mixed emotions at the end too....being born and bred in Oldham should mean I was happy they won, but in truth there was some sadness that Newcastle lost out on promotion.

Maybe I've been exiled from the North West for too many decades but I now think of myself more as a rugby league supporter than a fanatic of any one club.

For the good of the game, I hope Newcastle do the business and get a promotion or two in the seasons ahead!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

I had mixed emotions at the end too....being born and bred in Oldham should mean I was happy they won, but in truth there was some sadness that Newcastle lost out on promotion.

Maybe I've been exiled from the North West for too many decades but I now think of myself more as a rugby league supporter than a fanatic of any one club.

For the good of the game, I hope Newcastle do the business and get a promotion or two in the seasons ahead!

I know the feeling, im a saints fan but a RL supporter first these days. I want saints to win next Saturday but i wont be disappointed if salford win and create a great RL story that could benefit the whole sport

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

What's the plan for Oldham then? Because that ground cannot be Championship standard surely?!

Possibly boundary park more likely staylbridge 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

What's the plan for Oldham then? Because that ground cannot be Championship standard surely?!

It will more than likely be either Boundary Park (hopefully) or Bower Fold Stalybridge (where we played last time we were in the Championship)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saintspete83 said:

Dry your eyes mate. Newcastle spent a fortune and got beat by poor little Oldham. We offer very little? Just a founder member of the Rugby League that's all. We can't afford a reserve team but when we had one in days gone by I'm sure your Saints benefitted from a few of our Juniors! We don't have much and it will be a huge challenge to stay in the Championship, but we deserve that chance for the loyal supporters who have stuck with them for X number of years, the ground we played at today is certainly as good as Sheffield's, maybe they need kicking out too?

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Londonfan said:

Shows that Newcastle couldn’t buy a Premiership 

But enough about you; what about the match?

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

It can either go 1 of 2 ways now for Newcastle , keep putting more money in and forge on with more expensive signings or concentrate on the Union side . Its cost a fair bit of money this season and investors won't be pleased . Their problem has been that some players think there must be a try every set . 

• Sad 1

Just now, Anonymouse said:

It can either go 1 of 2 ways now for Newcastle , keep putting more money in and forge on with more expensive signings or concentrate on the Union side . Its cost a fair bit of money this season and investors won't be pleased . Their problem has been that some players think there must be a try every set . 

Don’t worry about us!

We have long term ambitions that haven’t altered because we have missed out on promotion, that’s sport.

We continue with our plans on building a fully sustainable club with a thriving community game.

Congratulations to oldham 

• Like 4

Well done Oldham . I said they were the best team I’d seen , very solid well drilled outfit with Langtree a real standout in this league . All the best to them 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, RS said:

1203 crowd 

Only 4 bigger crowds in League 1 this season and two of those were the Whitehaven v Workington fixtures.

Yes, Newcastle brought quite a few fans but it shows that if Oldham could achieve success then the town would support them.

• Like 1

Close game that could have gone either way and congratulations to Oldham. however how that ground is ever deemed safe or suitable for spectators of professional sport is beyond me - an absolute disgrace