Sign in to follow this  
Poower Lad

Is it almost the end .

If we are talking UK the two most important elements for me are.

- The development of the womens game. This will be critical to growth of the sport.

- The 2021 World Cup. Everything about this tournament so far has been done extremely professionally and a successful home World Cup sets us up nicely for the next decade.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

We liquidate as a sport, all records of the game are burnt on a bonfire, all stadiums are demolished to make way for supermarkets, players defect to Union and fans make no mention of the embarrassment they feel at ever having been a fan of Rugby League. It’s the only way. 

Im burning all my shirts and anything to do with "League"(spits) as we speak

• Haha 1

The Problem in Rugby League are the people running it. On the field the Product continues to produce. But having people like Greenberg, Wood, Rimmer, Elstone etc running the game, its amazing the game is still Alive. Organizing, Promotion and living in the real world are things that dont exist. The game is entertaining and a Produkt that should be easy to capatalize on. Somehow the game has a history of some of the worse Administrators in the world!

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Also the average attendance at SL games last season was much the same as the season before, in spite of Widnes being replaced by London whose average gate was under half theirs.

Will be even higher next season with Toronto replacing London

• Like 1

The thing with sport, like so much else, is you can’t really predict the future. There are lots of positives and opportunities with RL and fundamentally a fantastic product. We need better leadership, more diverse thinking at the top and the ability to build on our innovation. I think we need to understand our sport is growing beyond its roots and whilst there may be growing pains and ups and downs that’s a good thing. 

Edited by EssexRL
  • Like 1

I think that when assessing the game, and its apparent impending death (for 124 years and counting), we need to remember our limitations.

We may never be a huge sport and in all likelihood will remain niche. That doesn't mean we can't succeed or sensibly expand when opportunities present themselves.

Domestically, we are doing ok. Crowds are holding steady and are higher than they were 20 years ago. There are some poorly run clubs, but the likes of Newcastle, York and London show that sustainable is possible.

My concerns are that we do have an aging fanbase and we must replace or add the fanbase with younger fans, the numbers of which seem to be waning.

We also need to make sensible decisions internationally, and prioritise the international game, as this is where growth lies.

• Like 1

Twitter: @TrylineBlog 
Latest Blog: World Club Challenge Preview - The tale of chances galore!  https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2020/02/world-club-challenge-preview-tale-of.html

Is it almost the end?

This is the end, beautiful friend
This is the end, my only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end

image.png.190523e2a8a25e21529d23ea52c552c3.png

• Like 1

"It is, by a million miles, a better sport than union. League is 80 minutes of physicality, speed, good handling, good kicking. It’s continuous."

34 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Is it almost the end?

This is the end, beautiful friend
This is the end, my only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end

image.png.190523e2a8a25e21529d23ea52c552c3.png

Great song I’m downloading that . 

17 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Will be even higher next season with Toronto replacing London

Agreed but I , like fans of other sports want to see top class international RL like the ashes when I was young . I also want to know a year in advance exactly what’s happening . Very please if are the advances in women’s and RL at more inclusive levels , but is anyone telling me that they don’t desire to have on a regular basis Burgess and co and the best from super league playing the Aussies , kiwis , Tonga at big different exiting stadiums in the UK . Think the ashes 90 ,94 and the kiwi tour 93 , brilliant tours front page coverage Proper major sponsors . how do we address this , also how do we stop the rapid death of the amateur game . Please don’t say all sports are suffering the same . RU , football are booming at the a mature level . If anyone like me is sad enough to have the Rugby Leaguer from the late eighties check out the armature leagues then v now it is frightening how they have shrunk . 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

However if all history of RL was lost and if RU was the only Rugby game anyone on the planet anyone has heard of...... Eventually (say in 2095) some RU players and fans would think - if we change these boring rules, drop a couple of players and let skill and flair shine we could invent a better form of Rugby.

Rugby League would be invented again as with all evolution the best form of that species will always survive in the end.

Sorry to be positive.

In the excellent book "The Forbidden Game" by Mike Rylance (I haven't got the book now made the mistake of loaning it out for it never to return) from memory the last sentance says along the lines of "If Rugby League had never been invented, today we would only have Rugby League" which kind of parallels with what you say that given free reign Union would have evolved into a faster more open, aesthetically pleasing game.

Would someone with a copy of the book please confirm or otherwise that my memory hasn't deserted me just yet!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Poower Lad said:

Please don’t say all sports are suffering the same . RU , football are booming at the a mature level . 

But that simply isn't true, mens amateur and non league playing levels are down in both those sports, they are as concerned as we are about the figures. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Loads of positives. (Semi) Professional RL continues to be played across the UK in places like Wales, Newcastle and Coventry as well as traditional areas. Featherstone had a storming end to the season and were 40mins away from promotion. Saints were sensational all year and showed the other SL clubs the level/quality they need to aim for. Canberra made the NRL Grand Final. African RL competitions took place. Canada were in Serbia. And so and so on... loads of fantastic activity ongoing.

However, we need to look forward; not backwards. The GB tour is a prime example. Remember our history and be proud of it but the world has moved on and our sport should as well. Traditional tours to Aus/NZ look dead... they were binned for a reason after all; that’s why we ran the 3/4 Nations. Multi-nation competitions are the way forward as the WC/4 Nations have shown and the APRLC are clearly thinking (Pacific Cup)... we need a bit of strategic long term forward thinking rather than looking to the past all the time.

The reason was simply that the Northern and Southern Hemisphere seasons aligned with the advent of Summer Rugby here, that led to having to shoe horn in other "International Fixtures" at the end of both season's North and South, hence the short 3 nations tournament.

I went on the last 'proper tour' in '92 along with other 1,000's who travelled for the Kangaroo Series, financially a resounding success for both the ARL and RFL, that would most surly have been built on, on the back of that tour 4 months later we played the WC Final at Wembley with 72,000 in attendance, will that ever be beat?

If you consider Traditional tours ceased for any other reason please state why, I have yet to hear it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dkw said:

But that simply isn't true, mens amateur and non league playing levels are down in both those sports, they are as concerned as we are about the figures. 

They didn't decide to address this by going without home internationals at all in 2010, 2014, 2017, 2019 though? Four missed years in a decade is a disgrace.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 2

I think we will see a huge realignment within the game within the next few years,especially after 2021 when the current central funding formula is no longer.

I predict there will be a Super League Elite 8 or 10 club competition and I predict that there will be a Super League One with probably 10 clubs maximum.

The rest of them will either become amateur teams or will simply just fade and die.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Oxford said:

And there's more .....

image.png.f894b2465ab7dd57162b20bc48339b6f.png

image.png.ae857c14b018caab8334a62bb44a6ed4.png

image.png.ef3121e9a578c9360398868a7f6a2e30.png

image.png.d4e425597cf924b52907d49a3f2ec82e.png

If this sport doesn't seem magic to you, what's wrong with you?

Those pictures are fabulous. 
The PDRL and LDRL is simply outstanding 

chuffed strides made in women’s RL too

• Like 2

But bizarrely, GB will play a test in PNG, and England Women (not GB women) will play PNG in the curtain raiser. Got to love the mixed brand messaging 😕 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The reason was simply that the Northern and Southern Hemisphere seasons aligned with the advent of Summer Rugby here, that led to having to shoe horn in other "International Fixtures" at the end of both season's North and South, hence the short 3 nations tournament.

I went on the last 'proper tour' in '92 along with other 1,000's who travelled for the Kangaroo Series, financially a resounding success for both the ARL and RFL, that would most surly have been built on, on the back of that tour 4 months later we played the WC Final at Wembley with 72,000 in attendance, will that ever be beat?

If you consider Traditional tours ceased for any other reason please state why, I have yet to hear it.

I don't disagree. The SL War is the primary reason IMO; rightly or wrongly.

The WC Final in 2013 had a bigger attendance than 1992. It's likely the 2021 Final will beat that attendance as well; significantly bigger if they shifted the Final to Wembley rather than OT.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I don't disagree. The SL War is the primary reason IMO; rightly or wrongly.

The WC Final in 2013 had a bigger attendance than 1992. It's likely the 2021 Final will beat that attendance as well; significantly bigger if they shifted the Final to Wembley rather than OT.

And to be fair the 2013 one was Aus v NZ and it still sold OT out IIRC (I was there, managed to get a single seat on its own so I could go.. wont make that mistake again.. will buy earlier so i can take the family!)..

The biggest mistake the RFL (and IRL or whatever they are now) have made is abandoning the international game and concepts that were working... The tri-nations seemed to work, the 4 nations seemed to work (maybe not as well as the tri nations).. England is being built nicely which allows the "smaller nations" to build too, so why GB?!? 

PLAY MORE... the games that will attract the attention of the national media and non traditional fans are internationals... other sports understand this... you need a domestic game that can develop this onwards but its starts at the international level.. There are plenty of ways of doing it, some people within the game may see them as artificial or pointless but they have to build the international game for people outside those that will watch it (how many people turned up to England V Jamaica who wouldnt normally go??). The key is they HAVE to PLAY MORE INTERNATIONAL GAMES!!!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, RP London said:

The biggest mistake the RFL (and IRL or whatever they are now) have made is abandoning the international game and concepts that were working... The tri-nations seemed to work, the 4 nations seemed to work (maybe not as well as the tri nations).. England is being built nicely which allows the "smaller nations" to build too, so why GB?!? 

PLAY MORE... the games that will attract the attention of the national media and non traditional fans are internationals... other sports understand this... you need a domestic game that can develop this onwards but its starts at the international level.. There are plenty of ways of doing it, some people within the game may see them as artificial or pointless but they have to build the international game for people outside those that will watch it (how many people turned up to England V Jamaica who wouldnt normally go??). The key is they HAVE to PLAY MORE INTERNATIONAL GAMES!!!

Completely agree. But our authorities are blinded by the past; harking about to nostalgic concepts when other approaches are achieving some form of success. Rightly or wrongly, the other nations (Australia in particular at both the domestic and international level) have moved on leaving us behind.

• Like 1

If England win the world cup in Japan the RFU could create a couple of big clubs in Yorkshire and greater Manchester and kill us off. 

To be fair England started playing a 6 nations game up North and that might do it...........Internationals are the golden ticket.

Rugby League just doesn't get that because it is run by self interested Clubs.

• Like 1

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

4 hours ago, Scubby said:

They didn't decide to address this by going without home internationals at all in 2010, 2014, 2017, 2019 though? Four missed years in a decade is a disgrace.

That`s not really got anything to do with what I said though.

6 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

If England win the world cup in Japan the RFU could create a couple of big clubs in Yorkshire and greater Manchester and kill us off. 

To be fair England started playing a 6 nations game up North and that might do it...........Internationals are the golden ticket.

We were told this would happen last time England won it, how they would now push into our territory and take over leaving us with no competition and we would have to go back to amateurs.....it didnt happen then and it wont happen now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

I agree that that there's nothing more the RFU would like than a couple of big clubs in the north but, and it's a very big but, there's a world of difference between a group of people watching their game down the pub and actually attending a club game week in week out for 80+ mins of tediousness, in winter. Until they can square that circle there's enough people with common sense in the North to ignore what their friends in the media try to ram down our throats😔

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dkw said:

We were told this would happen last time England won it, how they would now push into our territory and take over leaving us with no competition and we would have to go back to amateurs.....it didnt happen then and it wont happen now.

True but look how Union has progressed in this country since then compared to rugby league. 
We were stronger in 2003

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg