Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Sat 26 Oct: Lions Tour: Tongan Invitational XIII v Great Britain (BBC)

Who will win?  

69 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Tongan Invitational XIII by 13 points or more
    • Tongan Invitational XIII by 7 to 12 points
    • Tongan Invitational XIII by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 7 to 12 points
    • Great Britain by 13 points or more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/10/19 at 06:30

21 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Come on GB! I've optimistically gone for a 7-12 point win.

I shall watch the 1st half, then the RU, and then the 2nd half. Not ideal, but I like a lot of sports, so I'm used to having to juggle things a bit.

Fancy a nap in between halves then? I suppose it is an early start so you still might be tired. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Come on GB! I've optimistically gone for a 7-12 point win.

I shall watch the 1st half, then the RU, and then the 2nd half. Not ideal, but I like a lot of sports, so I'm used to having to juggle things a bit.

Lots of games people will be doing the same, we should have brought our kick off forward as soon as we realised it was clashing with such a big event

4 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

This side had the potential 

This was the first time I had ever had someone comment on Rugby League to me randomly.

Growing up in London, and going to a school in SE London, Rugby League is completely unknown, but one of my friends had seen it on TV the day before, and brought it up to me.

Pretty much every time before and since that people have brought up Rugby to me, because they know I like it, they're referring to Union, not League.

• Like 2

I sometimes watch early kick offs on delay but no way I could sleep knowing Great Brtain were playing.

• Like 6

If it's anything like the 2017 World Cup, then it will be wonderful. That occasion is one of the greatest I have seen in rugby league.

It will be a tough game as Tonga have a good side, but we should be good enough to win and it would be disappointing if we didn't.

Twitter: @TrylineBlog 
Latest Blog: That was the decade that was - A lookback at the 2010's in Super League - https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2019/12/that-was-decade-that-was-lookback-at.html

1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

If it's anything like the 2017 World Cup, then it will be wonderful. That occasion is one of the greatest I have seen in rugby league.

It will be a tough game as Tonga have a good side, but we should be good enough to win and it would be disappointing if we didn't.

I do not think losing would be bad, obviously winning is best.  We get few opportunities to test our players so what is important is to play the game, pick up the pace of an international and to work out the balance of our team and how it should play. 

This is a massive game for Tonga.

They we’re well beaten by Australia in 2018, and were no match for New Zealand this year in the very hyped ‘rematch’.

In both those occasions they struggled to score points and take advantage of opportunities presented. I cant see too much of a change in this match.

The 2017 Semi Final was a flogging until the last 10min period when all the moment on the planet was with Tonga.

I think GB will win by 18+. I hope for Tonga that it is closer.

11 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm doing my normal thing of watching on delay.... Weekend lie ons to precious 

Will start it around 10.30am with my egg sandwich breakfast

Come on the Lions.... Lay a marker down for the kiwi tests! 

Come on, you'll get an extra hour in bed the very next day, with the end of British Summer time.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Really looking forward to this, seems a rather experimental GB line up but hoping for a good showing nonetheless.

Also, will be a chance to see one of my lot's big signings and check how he goes.

"The scariest bloke in Rugby League" forms part of the Tongan 2nd row.

SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

18 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

The provisional team has already been announced. So in answer to your questions, Hardaker looks like the only one playing out of his normal position, Widdop is at 6 with Coote at fullback and no it doesn't appear Austin will be playing this one. 

Great Britain RL Lions:

1. Lachlan Coote (Windsor Wolves, St Helens)

2. Jermaine McGillvary (Deighton Juniors, Huddersfield Giants)

3. Zak Hardaker (Featherstone Lions, Wigan Warriors)

4. Oliver Gildart (Wigan St Patricks, Wigan Warriors)

5. Ryan Hall (Oulton Raiders, Sydney Roosters)

6. Gareth Widdop (Kings Cross, St George Illawarra Dragons)

7. Jackson Hastings (Western Suburbs Red Devils, Salford Red Devils)

8. Chris Hill (New Springs Lions, Warrington Wolves)

9. Josh Hodgson (East Hull, Canberra Raiders)

10. Luke Thompson (Bold Miners, St Helens)

11. John Bateman (Bradford Dudley Hill, Canberra Raiders)

12. Elliott Whitehead (West Bowling, Canberra Raiders)

13. James Graham (c) (Thatto Heath, St George Illawarra Dragons)

14. Josh Jones (Blackbrook, Salford Red Devils)

15. Tom Burgess (Dewsbury Moor, South Sydney Rabbitohs)

16. Jonny Lomax (Orrell St James, St Helens)

17. Alex Walmsley (Dewsbury Celtic, St Helens)

There is an extended reserve bench made up of Connor, Hughes, Williams and Clark. Philbin and Austin not selected. 

I still can’t find any reference to the team on TotalRL, Sporting Life or BBC pages, but I did find it tucked away on NRL.com way below the other team lists. I presume there was some press announcement and PR done? Or are we trying to keep this game hush hush? 
That’s a pretty good England team, plenty of ball players and damaging forwards. I’d take that side over our 2006 lot, there was quite a bit of hot and cold with that team. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mushy said:

I still can’t find any reference to the team on TotalRL, Sporting Life or BBC pages, but I did find it tucked away on NRL.com way below the other team lists. I presume there was some press announcement and PR done? Or are we trying to keep this game hush hush? 
That’s a pretty good England team, plenty of ball players and damaging forwards. I’d take that side over our 2006 lot, there was quite a bit of hot and cold with that team. 

Yeah it's really weirdly included in the articles on both the BBC and rugby-league.com that have headlines relating to James' 50th cap. No idea why they thought that's obviously where people would look for the whole team to be announced. 

12 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I sometimes watch early kick offs on delay but no way I could sleep knowing Great Brtain were playing.

I've just remembered that the second game on the tour kicks off at 4.00am and I have stated publicly that I can't sleep through a Great Britain test!

35 minutes ago, eal said:

Does anyone know how to watch this game in the USA? I can't find out who, if anyone is broadcasting the GB tests.

Already asked the question and got crickets. I don't think it's on, yet another victory for international RL. The championship GF was shown in about 20 countries, GB tour - BBC only.

• Sad 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

27 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Already asked the question and got crickets. I don't think it's on, yet another victory for international RL. The championship GF was shown in about 20 countries, GB tour - BBC only.

Use one of those proxy things to watch bbc? 

13 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'd quite like us to lose the Union to NZ too.... I couldn't bear another surge of union interest if we win the thing

Must admit I've thought this but at the same time if NZ lose a few more people might decide to go down the GB games the couple of weeks after. I think I would prefer NZ to win though for the reason you gave. I want to see Wales get battered as well to ensure its two of the usual suspects in the final again. What was that about international league being uncompetitive? You've only had 4 winners of your World Cup? Only one more than us. Oh and you've only had 5 teams in your final? Same number as us. Not that I've got a chip on my shoulder or anything you understand! 😛