Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Sat 26 Oct: Lions Tour: Tongan Invitational XIII v Great Britain (BBC)

Who will win?  

69 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Tongan Invitational XIII by 13 points or more
    • Tongan Invitational XIII by 7 to 12 points
    • Tongan Invitational XIII by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 7 to 12 points
    • Great Britain by 13 points or more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/10/19 at 06:30

Bennets "tactics" really are brain numbingly boring, they aren't suited to modern rl at all and we need shot of him. 

• Like 5

Just now, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Are the Kiwis playing today, who against?

There’s a slow rugby match on somewhere..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our defence was good with one fairly lucky try and one bit of basketball. Toothless in attack. Hodgson is so ###### slow at passing. There are some players who look great in the NRL but have never cut it for GB.

GB weren’t very good at all. Tonga were fantastic. Hodgson, Hall and McGilvary were awful.

Patwigaw

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Too many big bully boy forwards who were looking for a penalty at every ptb, the likes of Walmsley and Jones just needed to get on with it. They were undoing their good work every drive.

They need to learn very quickly that you cant just rely on playing for penalties.

Strange you miss Hill from that list as he was our worst prop today by a distance and was doing the same as them 2.

Edited by dkw
  • Like 3

Disappointed as a Great Britain supporter, but as a rugby league fan that is a great result for international rugby league.

Best team won the game and even when we started getting more ball and field position the Tongan defence was superb, though you'd have liked us to have asked a few more questions of that defence.

I can see no reason why Tonga are not invited to play here, especially if Australia are reluctant. It could be a 3 match series with other games against the home nations or France, or, as with the RU autumn international, bring a few teams over and play everyone once.

Bet there's a few Tongans in NZ who wish they'd gone to that game now

• Like 8

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

5 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Hall has been fantastic defensively and under the kick. He is still incredibly difficult to stop close to the line. 

Our centres create nothing and arent going to put anyone away. He is perfect for us at the moment. 

McGilveray seems to be a bit out of form but frankly we could have the mutant offspring of Offiah and ET on the wing and its not going to make a huge difference at the moment. 

Coming out of our own half we needed more energy. It was a strength for Tonga and a weakness for us.

Stand by my comment that Tomkins should have been in the squad. Hes better than Coote, faster than Lomax and better than Hastings.

Even if he didnt play today at least he would be an option for next week.

I would put Hardaker to full back next week, Coote was nor in the game.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Strange you miss Hill from that list as he was our worst prop today by a distance and was doing the same as them 2.

Hill wasnt guilty of the thing I was talking about. I could have included McGillvary who also just wanted to muck about at the PTB.

• Sad 1

The better team won, no doubt in my mind. Compare GB with both Aus and NZ yesterday: Poor kicking game as usual. Why kick to an FB who has such good catching record and positional sense? Dodwe ever make a line break? Too slow at PTB. No running from AHB. Yesterday Aus were so fast in that area. 

Not taking anything away from Tonga who fully deserved the win but we looked as slow and ponderous as ever. 

Four legs good - two legs bad

Just now, 7723 said:

GB weren’t very good at all. Tonga were fantastic. Hodgson, Hall and McGilvary were awful.

Cant see why you are picking on the wingers? It was a close test match.  Wining against top teams ... not least in a biased environment ... is all about doing all the important little things. There is little between these teams and there should not be, like Aussie and NZ.  So we need to make as few mistakes as possible. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jacksy said:

If that performance does not see the end of Hill, Hall Graham and Hodgson i dont know what will.

Add Bennett to that list, truly awful both in player selection and tactics

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, snapski said:

Embarrassing. Loose forward has to be a play maker as well as a forward. But that doesn’t suit Bennetts way of playing 5 drives and a kick plodders. 

I hate seeing props at 13 & Hodgson is  not as good as he thinks or Bennett thinks.

• Like 1

I thought Niu was excellent for Tonga, no one would have guessed he was making his international debut. 

• Like 1

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

Good advert for ticket sales for Tonga v Australia in Auckland. Less so for the rebirth of the Lions. Pretty dismal all round, really. I wonder at which point Bennett will look around the dressing room and wonder where all the backs are. 

Just now, roughyedspud said:

GB keep up their 50 year tradition....of effing losing...

But at least the shirts are nice

20 odd years of SL, and GB / England still not good enough.

7 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Jonathan  Davis' comment just right (again). Halves and hooker not working. Tgey are goid enougj... they are not working. Not enough get go.

It doesn’t matter if you have Smith and Cronk as your hooker/half if your forwards are getting as much of a pummelling as GB’s today. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Stand by my comment that Tomkins should have been in the squad. Hes better than Coote, faster than Lomax and better than Hastings.

Even if he didnt play today at least he would be an option for next week.

I would put Hardaker to full back next week, Coote was nor in the game.

Your argument died at better than Coote. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1