Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Sat 26 Oct: Lions Tour: Tongan Invitational XIII v Great Britain (BBC)

Who will win?  

69 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Tongan Invitational XIII by 13 points or more
    • Tongan Invitational XIII by 7 to 12 points
    • Tongan Invitational XIII by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 7 to 12 points
    • Great Britain by 13 points or more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/10/19 at 06:30

5 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

They would have tired had we actually played the type of game that took it to them and made them work more, but we did none of that and just banged it up the middle one out which played into their hands/strengths defensively.

Maybe, but to hear the way the BBC were taking about it, you would think they were park players. They are a fantastic team with players who simply played to the standards they reach every week. It is no disgrace to lose to them, and great for the international game that we have another genuinely top tier side. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

At the outset of SL we were told that the uplift in playing standards would see a big improvement in the fortunes or the GB side and one of the objectives was to compete and beat the Australians regularly. Well that seems as far away as ever.

We’re the 2nd best country on the planet, we haven’t played Australia in a non-WC game for years so it’s a bit unfair to judge us off that. 

3 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I made this point earlier. Players like Fifita, Jennings, Tupou, etc, have been full-time pro RLers since they were 16 or 17. Why wouldn't they be fit enough to play 80 mins?

Possibly some posters here don't watch NRL and don't realise that some Tonga players, like Taukeiaho, Fonua Blake, Jennings, Tupou, are all coming off very strong seasons. Even Hopoate was good this year in a dud team, as was Asiata.

I would put that down as the best all round performance I have seen from them. I hope their fans have taken a look and get behind them next week. A wall of red could see them shake up the Kangaroos. That will be next week’s must see rugby match. 

• Like 1

We need more than one game plan. We play as though we are always going to be quite dominant up front, but playing against physical teams like Tonga, we will struggle to match them and need to find a different way of playing. Despite all his experience and success, I'm not sure Bennett will do this, he is single minded to the point of stubbornness when it comes to the way he sets his teams up.

and that's the reason nrl clubs are not clamouring to sign hastings or coote- the mcgilvary and hall plod up 1st 2 tackles routine is stale and as predictable as tom burgess knocking on , graham a loose forward? was Hardaker playing? a blessing in disguise we are not playing the kangaroos - it could be embarrassing! 

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

8 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Congratulations to Tonga; thought they were excellent. Strong, determined and committed. Really pleased for them.

Massive improvement required in GB. Thought the likes of Burgess, Walmsley, Jones and obviously Bateman stood up well. Convinced Graham and Hill are passed it (like O’Loughlin). Hall tried hard (top metre maker?) but McGilvary had a bit of a nightmare. Lack of invention in attack close in the final 3rd; IMO Hodgson is the root cause - too slow, ponderous and predictable every time - which hinders the rest of the team. Kicking game from all was dire too. 

So onto Auckland... tough old game against the Kiwis next week; and looks like we are carrying injuries already. Tough old tour...

Just like in the 9s, we looked like a team of plodders. Youth, pace and energy is lacking.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dkw said:

Bennets "tactics" really are brain numbingly boring, they aren't suited to modern rl at all and we need shot of him. 

His side did make the semi finals in the NRL this year. 

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

No point reading any more on this thread as all we are getting is prejudice and stupidity. If Oldham and their likes want to do well, then let them get off their knees and show they deserve it.

What like Paris,Catalan Dragons,Celtic Crusaders,Toronto & by the looks Ottawa & New York, is that how you get up off your knees ??.

• Like 1

I know you have to have structure, but its too much with Bennett’s teams. Hastings was man of steel because he plays off the cuff. The players are being stifled. Saying that, there are at least half a dozen i wouldnt pick regardless.

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Big takeaway... our pack has been proven to NOT be the best in the world again.

In fairness we lost Thompson early who has been one of the form forwards in RL last season, he would certainly have took the game to there pack more. 

• Like 1

I dont think we need to go over the top every time we see a bad performance. Questioning the whole concept of SL is a bit ott. 

If that was the best we were capable of I'd be more worried.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dave T said:

Just like in the 9s, we looked like a team of plodders. Youth, pace and energy is lacking.

I agree. 

Tough one though. Our pack was battered (again). So pace on the wing wouldn’t have helped though as we didn’t play on the front foot. I think we need to be a bit more honest in our assessments.

why in interviews does mcgilvary keep saying "I remember watching Henderson gill and been inspired"? has he been re incarnated? he may have just been having his umbilical cord cut at the time? oh the wonders of youtube

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

11 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Maybe, but to hear the way the BBC were taking about it, you would think they were park players. They are a fantastic team with players who simply played to the standards they reach every week. It is no disgrace to lose to them, and great for the international game that we have another genuinely top tier side. 

Yes, the days of the semi pro international teams flagging after 50-60 mins are long gone, it's just awful analysis/grasp.

• Like 1

From where I was sitting we were slightly off in the spine, which is not surprising given the lack of experience playing together, and the odd collection of styles of play. 

• Like 2

theres no excuses - Australia would have nailed either team today by 50

• Like 1

I didn’t see all of it but it looked a competitive game and the best side won.

To talk about Tonga as if they were from the Pennine League shows a lack of respect and to be honest, knowledge.

To me, it’s great to see competitive internationals not involving the usual suspects. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

From where I was sitting we were slightly off in the spine, which is not surprising given the lack of experience playing together, and the odd collection of styles of play. 

I agree with this. Also thought we struggled to match Tonga’s physicality in the first half.

Even a GB fan I admire the sheer brilliance of that second Tonga try, I thought they were just going to take the tackle during the hooter but instead it was offload after offload. Britain looked a little rusty which is to be expected really, hopefully they can pick it up against the Kiwi's next week.

We just need to get better against the more physical teams, as they knock the sails out of us too easily, and we end up plodding along for 75minutes... 

Will be interesting to see how we play against NZ and the physical PNG

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

theres no excuses - Australia would have nailed either team today by 50

Christ will you shut up about your beloved super human Australia... So boring. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1