Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

Dave Woods is on the money.

2 hours ago, Hughsehhh said:

I disagree with the article and the general consensus here. How do you expect to attract floating Welsh, Scottish and irish fans into the sport without something like the Lions?

The casual fans in those nations generally won't be overly excited about watching 'England' play a test match whereas if they feel part of something like the GB lions, its enough to pique that interest. Im Welsh and i never see an england rugby shirt, for obvious reasons, but see loads of British lions shirts. 

What's more, national broadcasters like the BBC almost have a duty to broadcast something representing the UK. Team england could potentially be shunted off the schedules under the argument its not in the national interest 

As Oliver says above, terrible organisation led to the poor attendances and its easy to criticise with the benefit of hindsight, of which there seem to be too many experts on here 

Wales have their own decent team, and I doubt the Scots or Irish will ever be bothered. Have you really seen plenty of people wearing Lions shirts in Wales though?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Same old story with the RFL. Execution. They couldn’t execute a stunned donkey with a firing squad 

Nor could any of players seemingly either

It's not good that i shout for the 'Roos when playing the Lions, so it's better as far as little me is concerned that the GB Lions should not play at all. Why can't R Grace play for England? I'd still want him and M Knowles to play well if they were representing England, as i did with R Croft the cricketer. 

Edited by southwalesrabbitoh

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Wales have their own decent team, and I doubt the Scots or Irish will ever be bothered. Have you really seen plenty of people wearing Lions shirts in Wales though?

What, Lions RU polo shirts, replica tops t-shirts and shorts? 

31 minutes ago, M j M said:

What happens if England get thrashed 3-0 next autumn? Do we ditch that "concept" as a failure?

Judging whether something important is worth doing based solely on the results on the pitch is the most Rugby League thing ever.

Totally.

All the focus seems to be on the shirt or the concept or the players.

The key thing here is, we had some top class internationals in this team irrespective of what colour/branding the shirt had on it.   We had one of the NRLs top halfbacks of the last decade, the current man of steel, and some top drawer forwards and back line talent.

The one thing we didn’t have is a coach who could bring it all together under the circumstances and produce a competitive team.   Would anything have really turned out differently if he’d selected a fit Percival at centre, Grace on the wing, Austin at half back etc etc?

Bennett has a fine record but his experiment as England/GB coach hasn’t worked out unfortunately and it’s time for a new approach IMO.   Nothing personal, but the buck stops with the accountable manager.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, meast said:

Can't disagree with any of that.

The lack of talent is painfully obvious when the fans and the media clamour for any promising young kid from a top side as an international god after 10 games.

I personally think we are far too slow to identify and bring new talent into the national team.

Payne Haas and Morgan Smithies have both played exactly the same number of first team games and yet the former is already a State of Origin and Kangaroo representative.

I fully expect many people to say it is too soon for Morgan Smithies though if he is in line for an England jersey next year.

Edited by Dunbar
Spelling
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I personally think we are far too slow to identify and bring new talent into the national team.

Absolutely.

We have young talent in every position but will they be blooded under Wayne ‘No NRL, No Chance’ Bennett?

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Payne Haas and Morgan Smithies have both played exactly the same number of first team games and yet the former is already a State of Origin and Kangaroo representative.

I full expect many people to say it is too soon for Morgan Smithies though if he is in line for an England jersey in next year.

Was going to post this sort of thing on another thread. In the 2009 4 Nations we had Tomkins and Edmonds as a half back pairing. Both were just 20 at the time. Hall (20) was also in that team as was 20 year-old Sam Burgess. 

'England' isn't a 'concept'.

It's the country that 99.99999% of RL players were born in (within the UK)

You can't 'ditch it' unless you sack representative games. Pretending these English players are from countries other than England, doesn't change a single thing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

England was never ditched. 

It was this year. So what exactly was the point of GB returning? Any ideas what it's given us that England etc wouldn't? Other than the nice shirt?

1 hour ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

What, Lions RU polo shirts, replica tops t-shirts and shorts? 

I was asking the chap I quoted, who said “

Im Welsh and i never see an england rugby shirt, for obvious reasons, but see loads of British lions shirts. “. With hindsight though I assume he meant Union not League. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Im Welsh and i never see an england rugby shirt, for obvious reasons, but see loads of British lions shirts. “. With hindsight though I assume he meant Union not League. 

It probably helps that it is red!

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yeah, there are far too many, IMO, Welsh ppl wearing Lions RU gear, but 1 Welsh guy wearing that gold Lion is too many IMO. 

5 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

At least use the Lion logo (perhaps the red version) for England then. It's too good to not use at all.

lion.jpg

Let's just evolve the Lions brand to England. I said this weeks ago. I honestly don't think anyone in Wales, Ireland or Scotland would care.

If it's the brand people are excited about, just take it. Everyone wins then.

• Like 2

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Was going to post this sort of thing on another thread. In the 2009 4 Nations we had Tomkins and Edmonds as a half back pairing. Both were just 20 at the time. Hall (20) was also in that team as was 20 year-old Sam Burgess. 

The worrying thing about that is the lack of  real international quality young players we have coming through 

7 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Let's just evolve the Lions brand to England. I said this weeks ago. I honestly don't think anyone in Wales, Ireland or Scotland would care.

During the 2017 WC, NRL.com and Channel 7 had England Lions underneath the players' names, and it didn't really bother me. Yeah, have a red and blue V for England with the head of a lion. 

21 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The worrying thing about that is the lack of  real international quality young players we have coming through 

I disagree.  I think the current crop of 17 to 20 year olds in the game are better than we have seen in a very long time.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I disagree.  I think the current crop of 17 to 20 year olds in the game are better than we have seen in a very long time.

Wasn't this tour a great opportunity to play some of them?

6 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I still maintain that GB can potentially fulfill a really useful role in providing a selection carrot for any prospective home nations players.

Why? 

These players can simply play for England if they are good enough.

They will almost certainly qualify through residence (every professional club in Europe bar Catalans is in England).  If not, their residence/eligibility can probably be (semi-legally) fudged using time spent in academy in  England etc etc blah blah.  I cannot really imagine the RFL being unable to find a way to shoehorn somebody in if they really need to.

I watched the Kukis play USA last night.  Americans included Eddy Pettybourne, who has been selected to play for NZ, Samoa and USA over the last feew years. I suspect a random Welshman could be made 'English' for selection reasons one way or another!

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Wasn't this tour a great opportunity to play some of them?

I have pretty consistently said that I believe that England (or Great Britain) should do what the Australians do which is pick the best team available every time they select their national side.  It doesn't matter how many caps a player has or how young or old they are... just pick the best team.

I have just had a look backwards through the forum to see if I could find a Great Britain squad that I advocated picking before the tour started.  If I didn't advocate selecting Smithies or Newman back then I will not be hypocritical to say that they should have been there in hindsight.

What I do believe is that if we see both Smithies and Newman develop as hoped I can easily see them in the Ashes series and if the likes of Welsby and Holroyd (as examples) develop as hoped then they could easily be in the World Cup squad in two years time.

there are far too many, IMO, Welsh ppl wearing Lions RU gear

Why?

1 Welsh guy wearing that gold Lion is too many IMO. 

Why? What about players like Jonathan Davies?

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Good on Dave Woods, considering how excited he was on the BBC Podcast (about GB coming back) he’s realised what a shambles it was and isn’t afraid to say so. 

Yes.  However if we had ignored GB and only selected English players in 1954... well one WJ Boston would never have scored 36 tries on the Australasian tour.  Indeed he would never have got on the plane.

The Kangaroos are overwhelmingly based on just 2 states, whilst a 3rd is a hotbed for a totally alien game.  But it collects itself as "Australia".

As with many things with our game we in our country are just totally confused.  No wonder our players are never focussed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

3 Lions...