Sam Barlow’s search for redemption following four-year ban

spacer.png

There's a spring in Sam Barlow's step as he marches across a large industrial car park to the site's coffee shop.

He's come straight from the gym, his grey top etched in sweat after his session on a cool Monday morning.

Barlow has one major reason to be enthusiastic. Last month, a four-year suspension came to an end, allowing him to return to rugby league.

"It's been a long time," is Barlow's first of many admissions as he takes a sip of his coffee.

"For me it's about setting the record straight, forgetting about the past and building a bright future."

View the full article

Total Rugby League
www.totalrl.com

Poor mans gaz hock 

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

As a fan who both applauded him and also winced at some of his actions, I can honestly say there is/was a very good rugby league player encased in his body. 

Trouble was he just couldn't kerb himself, like a lot of those who have a very short fuse and a reputation of giving easy penalties away they get targeted more than most with all the niggly stuff and cheap shots, it is and always will be a part of the game however much the game has been sanitised it is still a physical contact/collision sport giving the opportunity to 'rile' those player's who are susceptible to the goading, time will only tell if he can kerb his temper.

Through that passage https://www.totalrl.com/sam-barlows-search-for-redemption-following-four-year-ban he seems very repentant and recognises that he was totally out of order with the official who visited him at his home, he has served his sentance and wants to get back into the game he loves, I for one am hoping he plays and looking forward to seeing him perform with his best rugby league head on at the LSV this season, albeit in opposition to my team I hope he gives me the opportunity to applaud him and not wince at his actions.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

As a fan who both applauded him and also winced at some of his actions, I can honestly say there is/was a very good rugby league player encased in his body. 

Trouble was he just couldn't kerb himself, like a lot of those who have a very short fuse and a reputation of giving easy penalties away they get targeted more than most with all the niggly stuff and cheap shots, it is and always will be a part of the game however much the game has been sanitised it is still a physical contact/collision sport giving the opportunity to 'rile' those player's who are susceptible to the goading, time will only tell if he can kerb his temper.

Through that passage https://www.totalrl.com/sam-barlows-search-for-redemption-following-four-year-ban he seems very repentant and recognises that he was totally out of order with the official who visited him at his home, he has served his sentance and wants to get back into the game he loves, I for one am hoping he plays and looking forward to seeing him perform with his best rugby league head on at the LSV this season, albeit in opposition to my team I hope he gives me the opportunity to applaud him and not wince at his actions.

I concur Harry , I ' winced ' when we signed him , although he is my most favoured of player types , a ball handling forward 

Sam Barlow should never have been treated in this way.

The way that the drugs tester acted in a manner that would have done Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party proud well the tester got what he deserved.You don’t behave in that manner at someone’s house just to get a sample of ######.

He defended himself and his family that day from a thug. Yes he may have had to have acted like one himself but for every action there is a reaction.

Now don’t get me wrong I am all for outing the cheats and flushing them out of the game.

But there is a time and place for everything and a certain way of doing it.

I personally would like to see them get tested after a game or training and a good number of them too.They should not go anywhere near a players home or his family.

I'm going on the assumption that we've signed a thug with acknowledged talent. Anything less on the enforcer front will be a pleasant surprise.

We do genuinely need someone to look after our youngsters if the opposition tries bullying tactics. We don't need anyone to start fights that our youngsters will get drawn into.

After his previous issues with drug-testing, I suspect  he'll be one of the first players nominated for 2020 testing.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

3 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

The way that the drugs tester acted in a manner that would have done Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party proud well the tester got what he deserved.You don’t behave in that manner at someone’s house just to get a sample of ######.

He defended himself and his family that day from a thug. Yes he may have had to have acted like one himself but for every action there is a reaction.

Now don’t get me wrong I am all for outing the cheats and flushing them out of the game.

I personally would like to see them get tested after a game or training and a good number of them too.They should not go anywhere near a players home or his family.

Of course they should - how else would they conduct 'out of competition' testing? 

10 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I'm going on the assumption that we've signed a thug with acknowledged talent. Anything less on the enforcer front will be a pleasant surprise.

We do genuinely need someone to look after our youngsters if the opposition tries bullying tactics. We don't need anyone to start fights that our youngsters will get drawn into.

After his previous issues with drug-testing, I suspect  he'll be one of the first players nominated for 2020 testing.

In fairness to Sam, he felt that he was being singled out for a lot of tests, some of which were at his home, at what he deemed 'out of hours'. His reaction to the tester was way over the top, but it's worth pointing out that, while he was regularly singled out for testing, he NEVER tested positive.

15 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

What a strange post.

Either you are trying to stop drugs being used in the sport or you aren't

You also clearly didn't see the same video of the test that I saw or the same one that others did

48 minutes ago, LeeF said:

What a strange post.

Either you are trying to stop drugs being used in the sport or you aren't

You also clearly didn't see the same video of the test that I saw or the same one that others did

As I say time and place.

I have no objection to them doing these tests at training or after a game.

But to do it late at night out of hours at an individual address where the testers use bully boy tactics that is wrong.

10 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

As I say time and place.

But to do it late at night out of hours at an individual address where the testers use bully boy tactics that is wrong.

Out of competition testing is a must and by definition must be at an address and under the "whereabouts" regulations are at specified times.

The only "bully boy" was Barlow. The tester was trying to do his job. Barlow lost it - yet again

As I said either you support the attempts to eradicate drugs from the sport or you don't. 

13 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

We do genuinely need someone to look after our youngsters if the opposition tries bullying tactics.

This sort of comment appears a lot on forums, and I genuinely don't get it.

Firstly, what do you mean by "bullying tactics"? Tackling hard, running over them, that sort of thing?

Or do you mean foul play, in which case are you expecting Barlow to see things the ref doesn't see? And if so what are you hoping he will do about it to "look after" the youngsters?

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

Out of competition testing is a must and by definition must be at an address and under the "whereabouts" regulations are at specified times.

The only "bully boy" was Barlow. The tester was trying to do his job. Barlow lost it - yet again

As I said either you support the attempts to eradicate drugs from the sport or you don't. 

Well if Barlow lost it then maybe it was because of the manner in which the drug tester was acting.I have heard via his brother Sam’s version of events.

2 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

As I say time and place.

Derek Beaumont was going to defend Barlow,as well.But it seems he got wise and chose not to.

Late at night?  9pm on a July evening.Still daylight.With 2 adults in the house;looking at the tester through windows? Strange burglar tactics.

https://www.ukad.org.uk/sites/default/files/2019-05/samuel_barlow_vs_ukad_-_appeal.pdf

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

44 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

Well if Barlow lost it then maybe it was because of the manner in which the drug tester was acting.I have heard via his brother Sam’s version of events.

The video that is available and the minutes to the hearing cast doubts on your source 

Barlow completely lost it & not for the reasons you stste

Again you are either with or against the fight against drugs in sport

Archived