1 hour ago, SSoutherner said:

the thing is whilst the labs may have ramped up to being able to cope with 38k per day tests, have the testing centers also ramped up AND MORE IMPORTANTLY we have spent the last month screaming that people shouldnt be tested unless needed (look at the issues over Give's daughter being tested) so who has communicated what to whom over who is now eligible and should be turning up at those testing centres. I expect it will take up to 7 days to filter through

My sister in Australia is covered in PPE. My wife has been invited to a test, just in case.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... after 66 days in ICU my sister's fella who was described as being as near to death as can be without dying.... has made it. He's home. Half the fella he was.... and the virus has ravaged his l

I'm not putting up with this goading of a volunteer moderator who does a sterling job on my behalf generally on here, but especially recently when I was ill for almost a month with what might well hav

New government advice specifically for Wiganers who don't understand the metric system.

Posted Images

Just now, Bearman said:

We have a daily "briefing" ( propaganda bulletin) followed by a Q&A session by a bunch of journalists .

Are they really the cream of the 4th estate? If so, it's no wonder people are looking for answers to any crank website.

Today the "Experts" ( I know, I know) told us that the best science predicts that face masks are at best no more than brown paper plasters for the problem.

Do the hacks listen? No they keep on about a quote by that windbag the Mayor of London.  When did Sudiq Khan find time from standing on his hind legs and pontificating to extend his law degree to a man of science?

I always find the press conferences informative.

Today I learned about the work going on to create a vaccine and all the trials that are happening and the companies and others involved.  I find it reassuring to learn that these things are being addressed and that no stone is being left unturned.  It was hardly propaganda.

Unfortunately there were more stupid questions by the press pack, and more stuff about ending the lockdown even though the government has been crystal clear that until the five criteria are met, ending the lockdown isn't going to happen.  I don't know how the panel don't throw their lecterns at the screen when the same questions are asked by the same dumb people.  It's a complete waste of time for those of us who are actually listening and want to know what's going on.  Last night there was one superb question which brought some really interesting information into the open but tonight it was largely inane again.  It's all about the gotcha moment and nothing else.

Having said all that, Sharma doesn't do the best job at answering the questions he IS asked.  He does answer them but you have to really listen hard for the key words.  For example, someone asked a remotely sensible question (I think the bloke was from a regional paper so that will be why) about HS2, namely since we're going to be broke, why continue with such an expensive project?  Sharma did answer but you really had to listen hard.  His answer was basically that the government wanted to keep the economy going as much as possible and ensure there were jobs being done when we come out the other side.  That may have been just a good excuse, if your bent is to believe these press conferences are nothing but propaganda, but the point is still a valid one: we will need all the work we can produce when we are trying to release the lockdown.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Virtually nobody aside from some extreme voices on here or hacks in the pay of dubious media types have any interest in coming out of restrictions too soon.

I suspect that every worker in danger of losing his or her job unless they go back to work would be willing to go back.

Watch the news; ther's loads of small firms which haven't had their bailout money and could go out of business.

I've got mates with few formal qualifications and / or their skills were in the textile industry that Thatcherism sent to the wall. They are in their fifties and sixties. They need to go back  to work or risk never getting another decent job.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

7 minutes ago, Bearman said:

We have a daily "briefing" ( propaganda bulletin) followed by a Q&A session by a bunch of journalists .

Are they really the cream of the 4th estate? If so, it's no wonder people are looking for answers to any crank website.

Today the "Experts" ( I know, I know) told us that the best science predicts that face masks are at best no more than brown paper plasters for the problem.

Do the hacks listen? No they keep on about a quote by that windbag the Mayor of London.  When did Sudiq Khan find time from standing on his hind legs and pontificating to extend his law degree to become a man of science?

Masks really are rubbish as they would be used.

I do not know, but I do not understand why hand sanitiser has been treated as such a good thing. It has not place where a sink in available. Hand sanitiser is rubbish in comparison to a basic wash.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Damien said:

It's just a pity we weren't testing and checking arrivals from those places to limit the spread in the first place. Even now arrivals from hotspots aren't being tested or screened which completely undermines the efforts of the general public.

To begin with, it has been widely acknowledged that we did not have the infrastructure to continue testing.  We started out by testing and tracing but then we had to redirect our limited resources once it became obvious that the virus had gotten hold within the community.  I believe Italy has tested more than we have but look where they are.  The much lauded Germany have a much, much better infrastructure than we have, with a far bigger sector.  But they didn't just test, because testing in itself will simply tell you who has the disease and who hasn't.  It's the tracking and tracing and then quarantining which is important.  You remember those people from Wuhan and the cruise ship?  We started off very well but with all those people coming back from skiing in Italy things just got beyond our means.  Well, now we are putting that right for when we try and release the lockdown.

3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Masks really are rubbish as they would be used.

I do not know, but I do not understand why hand sanitiser has been treated as such a good thing. It has not place where a sink in available. Hand sanitiser is rubbish in comparison to a basic wash.

Hand sanitiser was only ever recommended by the government for when you can't get to a sink and until you can get to a sink.  It's a holdover, as long as there is a minimum alcohol content.

Masks it appear would only be of benefit if everyone was wearing them (to protect others from yourself) and then only for a short time as they get damp and can become mini petri dishes, plus of course people fiddle with them.

But of course the press pack has become obsessed with them now and Khan, having failed completely to organise the Tube properly, now wants to get himself popular by appearing to know what he's talking about over masks.  The press pack will probably ask about masks as well as ending the lockdown at every bleeding press conference.

2 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

To begin with, it has been widely acknowledged that we did not have the infrastructure to continue testing.  We started out by testing and tracing but then we had to redirect our limited resources once it became obvious that the virus had gotten hold within the community.  I believe Italy has tested more than we have but look where they are.  The much lauded Germany have a much, much better infrastructure than we have, with a far bigger sector.  But they didn't just test, because testing in itself will simply tell you who has the disease and who hasn't.  It's the tracking and tracing and then quarantining which is important.  You remember those people from Wuhan and the cruise ship?  We started off very well but with all those people coming back from skiing in Italy things just got beyond our means.  Well, now we are putting that right for when we try and release the lockdown.

We have never tested all arrivals or anywhere near. That has been well documented. Flights were coming from Italy with absolutely no testing. We still aren't even testing arrivals from hotspots, Hancock admitted that yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Nope.

We tested and are still testing everyone coming in from Italy.

Someone was on here only yesterday saying as much.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I suspect that every worker in danger of losing his or her job unless they go back to work would be willing to go back.

Watch the news; ther's loads of small firms which haven't had their bailout money and could go out of business.

I've got mates with few formal qualifications and / or their skills were in the textile industry that Thatcherism sent to the wall. They are in their fifties and sixties. They need to go back  to work or risk never getting another decent job.

You probably shouldn’t have persuaded them to vote Tory then.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

We have never tested all arrivals or anywhere near. That has been well documented. Flights were coming from Italy with absolutely no testing. We still aren't even testing arrivals from hotspots, Hancock admitted that yesterday.

We have never tested at airports, no.  There have been two reasons given for that.  Firstly, if we had adopted the common approach of the time, namely a temperature test, they were useless.  The first known case into the USA was temperature tested at the entry airport, found to be fine, but became the first known case of covid in the USA.  Secondly, we didn't have the resources, and still don't, to swab test everyone at airports.  As far as I'm aware, no country in Europe swab tests at airports?

Er, we ARE a hotspot!  Have you not noticed?!

4 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Hand sanitiser was only ever recommended by the government for when you can't get to a sink and until you can get to a sink.  It's a holdover, as long as there is a minimum alcohol content.

Masks it appear would only be of benefit if everyone was wearing them (to protect others from yourself) and then only for a short time as they get damp and can become mini petri dishes, plus of course people fiddle with them.

But of course the press pack has become obsessed with them now and Khan, having failed completely to organise the Tube properly, now wants to get himself popular by appearing to know what he's talking about over masks.  The press pack will probably ask about masks as well as ending the lockdown at every bleeding press conference.

The issue is that very few people are as attentive to the news as you are.

"Stay inside" is a simple message, which is why it works. It is not based on biology by pragmatism. I am probably wrong, but we can reasonably say that hand washing is very effective and hand sanitizer is very ineffective and nothing is only slightly worse. We might know that, I suspect more of the population have not got that message.

That said, the Government have a difficult job. The science has to be compromised to convey something that will be understood and easy to police.

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Nope.

We tested and are still testing everyone coming in from Italy.

Someone was on here only yesterday saying as much.

That made absolutely no sense to me following on from my post.  Or indeed in any context.

16 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Didn't the infrastructure get sold off to the American's.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

The areas that will have the most trouble are areas like London and New York, I would imagine. There is far more space in Copnehagen or Oslo than there is in London. On the other hand, UK and Russian death figures appear to be optimisitic.

It is always dangerous to compare directly.

We have never tested at airports, no.  There have been two reasons given for that.  Firstly, if we had adopted the common approach of the time, namely a temperature test, they were useless.  The first known case into the USA was temperature tested at the entry airport, found to be fine, but became the first known case of covid in the USA.  Secondly, we didn't have the resources, and still don't, to swab test everyone at airports.  As far as I'm aware, no country in Europe swab tests at airports?

Er, we ARE a hotspot!  Have you not noticed?!

Ok so we've never tested at airports. One way to completely contradict your previous post then I suppose.

A hotspot in lockdown. You know lockdown as in social distancing, preventing the spread and all that. People freely entering without any checks isn't a particularly great way of preventing further spread.

Oh look! The BBC made a mistake. How convenient.

Earlier on Friday we reported that a boss of an NHS trust had contacted the BBC with concerns about the provision of gowns for staff during the coronavirus crisis.

He had asked the BBC for the phone numbers of Burberry and Barbour - two companies which have become involved in making gowns - because he was concerned about supply shortages.

We should clarify that the person concerned is not the boss of an NHS trust but is part of a network of organisations helping to source personal protective equipment for some NHS trusts.

The mistake was caused by a misunderstanding of the person's role in the fight against the pandemic.

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

Ok so we've never tested at airports. One way to completely contradict your previous post then I suppose.

Er, why?  In what way have I contradicted my own point?

A hotspot in lockdown. You know lockdown as in social distancing, preventing the spread and all that. People freely entering without any checks isn't a particularly great way of preventing further spread.

I do know all that. Do you know our numbers of deaths?  Do you ever compare those to the very places you consider hotspots?  And those same places, are they not also in lockdown?

11 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Er, why?  In what way have I contradicted my own point?

I do know all that. Do you know our numbers of deaths?  Do you ever compare those to the very places you consider hotspots?  And those same places, are they not also in lockdown?

No wonder so many people put you on ignore.

39 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

That made absolutely no sense to me following on from my post.  Or indeed in any context.

You said yesterday and were very clear that we have always tested everyone arriving from Italy.

HTH.

4 hours ago, BryanC said:

I'm aware of one NHS worker who is currently on the sick and is helping with lambing on the family farm.

They are not all "angels".

Nobody care to comment?

By the way. Same person takes the same three weeks off fer t'lambing for the last five or six years.

I repeat.

Care to comment?

Thought not.

Want to join in clapping on Thursday?

Jesus Christ, what's WRONG with you people???

One thing's for certain. When the smoke clears, the only people / jobs/ pensions will be unaffected are the public sector and the "holy of holies" NHS.

God help the rest of you and may the devil take the hindmost.

I wish you luck, but sadly feel that so many of you will need it.

Don't bother to reply / respond / slag me off again. I feel that I'm probably done on here for now.

I may revisit this forum when this nonsense has run it's course. 

Tinkety Tonk.

Edited by BryanC
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Nobody care to comment?

By the way. Same person takes the same three weeks off fer t'lambing for the last five or six years.

I repeat.

Care to comment?

Want to join in clapping on Thursday?

Jesus Christ, what's WRONG with you people???

So your trolling attempt failed and are quoting yourself in another lame attempt to provoke. Pathetic.