Jayme2020

Ottawa Aces (Merged Threads)

Good to finally get on board, I lost interest in RL when I moved to BC, this place is hockey, hockey and more hockey, however when the Wolfpack were formed I got my interest back. I really want the Wolfpack to do well, and Ottawa, I have visited Lamport to see my old team (Thunder) and its a great experience which everyone should do if they can. I just feel that the Wolfpack should have made more of an effort to scout BC and Ontario high school RU and Canadian University RU from League 1 times and I hope Ottawa don’t make the same mistake. I honestly believe you could find guys at this level who really want the chance for a pro career who could be Championship standard in a couple of years if given the right coaching, some even Super League standard, however this will cost $$$ and I’m not sure that either the Wolfpack orOttawa is committed to that kind of spend.

• Like 6

Oh and one more point before I go to work, someone earlier proposed Vancouver as a possibility for a new team, I think not because

1. It’s a gruelling flight, it’s bad enough Vancouver- Toronto!,

2. stadium choice is either BC Place (too big and expensive), Swanguard (about as good as New River), UBC (also dated and uncomfortable)

3. This is the power centre of Canadian RU and the truth is that crowds at a typical whole round of BC Premier RU is less than 1,000, they only show up forTeam Canada and Sevens!

8 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Oh and one more point before I go to work, someone earlier proposed Vancouver as a possibility for a new team, I think not because

2. stadium choice is either BC Place (too big and expensive), Swanguard (about as good as New River), UBC (also dated and uncomfortable)

3. This is the power centre of Canadian RU and the truth is that crowds at a typical whole round of BC Premier RU is less than 1,000, they only show up forTeam Canada and Sevens!

It would be nice to see Vancouver get a team but your points are dead on travel on its own would be a issue and cost to rent BC Place.

This new Canadian team is  a real mistake by the rl. This further goes to hurt championship and league one clubs from any promotion due to ottawa being heavily financed. What's the bet come June when Toronto still bottom the rl cancels relegation. Imagine having 2 Canadian teams in the championship. I think I've had it with rugby league now. Complete joke and attendances nose diving. Football only for me now.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

People also suggest the Wolfpack taking some early season games to Vancouver, given the milder winter weather out there, instead of playing "home" games in the UK. Could you see that working? Could they draw crowds for one or two games a season, marketed as an event and drawing on being "Canada's team" a la Raptors

(given that this is actually an ottawa thread... perhaps the same/similar could apply to the Aces)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrfranco said:

People also suggest the Wolfpack taking some early season games to Vancouver, given the milder winter weather out there, instead of playing "home" games in the UK. Could you see that working? Could they draw crowds for one or two games a season, marketed as an event and drawing on being "Canada's team" a la Raptors

(given that this is actually an ottawa thread... perhaps the same/similar could apply to the Aces)

Part of the issue in Vancouver has no outdoor stadium that is really big there only big stadium in BC Place and it would make more sense for both Ottawa and Toronto to play a couple games out of Rogers Centre in Toronto.

47 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

Part of the issue in Vancouver has no outdoor stadium that is really big there only big stadium in BC Place and it would make more sense for both Ottawa and Toronto to play a couple games out of Rogers Centre in Toronto.

The Rogers Centre is permanently in baseball configuration. The Blue Jays don't want to share.

2 hours ago, Hxrlfc3 said:

This new Canadian team is  a real mistake by the rl. This further goes to hurt championship and league one clubs from any promotion due to ottawa being heavily financed. What's the bet come June when Toronto still bottom the rl cancels relegation. Imagine having 2 Canadian teams in the championship. I think I've had it with rugby league now. Complete joke and attendances nose diving. Football only for me now.

If you've had it then it was a bit of a waste of time signing up just to post this.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Oldbear said:

I just feel that the Wolfpack should have made more of an effort to scout BC and Ontario high school RU and Canadian University RU from League 1 times and I hope Ottawa don’t make the same mistake. I honestly believe you could find guys at this level who really want the chance for a pro career who could be Championship standard in a couple of years if given the right coaching, some even Super League standard, however this will cost $$$ and I’m not sure that either the Wolfpack orOttawa is committed to that kind of spend.

Welcome onboard.  And yes they probably should but they should be incentivised by minimum quotas for home grown players.  

This is the exact kind of thing a club who have to find talent would do. 

1 hour ago, Jayme2020 said:

What about Westhills where Pacific FC play? On the island but a good size outdoor stadium  

image.thumb.jpeg.e48d6890e0b45b4d0dbcb326941ee5cc.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Michael1812 said:

What about Westhills where Pacific FC play? On the island but a good size outdoor stadium  

image.thumb.jpeg.e48d6890e0b45b4d0dbcb326941ee5cc.jpeg

Look who's head office is next door ?

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Canadian+Rugby+Union/@48.4431365,-123.5245943,288m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x548f7481f9a61fdf:0xbd92c4a35f6a4555!8m2!3d48.4425355!4d-123.5248648

16 hours ago, Celt said:

yes, that is probably it. They are named after a speedway team in Manchester no doubt.

Don't knock it, the stadium up until the 60s could squeeze in 40,000 and hit that mark regularly, with regulations it was reduced to 25,000 and I've been in a full house many a time for speedway & stock cars. Regular meetings during the 70s would pull upwards of 10,000, far in excess of what any RL club or the game as a whole could achieve in that period. Speedway might be on it's death bed over here at present but when it was at it's zenith, post war and the 70s there was only football that could achieve better attendences. Wembley used to run their league matches on Thursday nights with the crowd restricted to 80,000 and regularly put up house full signs for London derbies with West Ham (capacity 120,000, ave att 65,000) etc. post war.

• Like 2

Attendances aren’t nose diving. 

• Like 1

Having 2 Canadian teams in the Championship would bring even more attention to the league.

On 09/03/2020 at 21:07, Eddie said:

Yes definitely (and in fact I think all the modern suffixes are garbage), but if they have to have one they could do a lot better than Aces. 

The opposition fans will be able to update their chant to "Ottawa Ace of money."

• Haha 2

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

36 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

It could work work but the other issue would UK teams mind a longer flight Uk to Toronto is 7 hours in Vancouver its 9 hours.

All very hypothetical, and I've never seen anybody at the Wolfpack ever talk about it... but for a couple of early season games (rather than a whole season) I wouldn't think those extra couple of hours would be insurmountable... (but then this is rugby league...)

17 minutes ago, mrfranco said:

All very hypothetical, and I've never seen anybody at the Wolfpack ever talk about it... but for a couple of early season games (rather than a whole season) I wouldn't think those extra couple of hours would be insurmountable... (but then this is rugby league...)

I am not saying its not possible it could work.

7 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

I am not saying its not possible it could work.

It's 9.5 hrs which in itself is doable even if you include 3 hours airport time either side of the flight. However, teams would 1st have to fly or get the train down to London from Leeds or Manchester. 

1 hour ago, TheReaper said:

But they don't own the stadium, the city does, and they won't turn their noses up at anyone's money.

Edited by TIWIT

4 hours ago, Hxrlfc3 said:

Well, bye bye. Sorry to see you go. Your contribution here has been ever so valuable and will be much missed I'm sure.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

But they don't own the stadium, the city does, and they won't turn their noses up at anyone's money.

I was more just laughing at the irony.

Imagine the hysteria on here over the hydro pole though ?